Gvg grow light question? Need help plz lol

Research before buying is worth it!!
LEDs are by far the most efficient and best lights out there for growing weed - hands down.

Kia and Rolls Royce both make cars - are they anything alike?

1 Like

With so many people now growing at home unscrupulous sellers are taking advantage of people who don’t realize exactly what they need. You can grow with these cheap leds, just not quality cannabis. Everyone here will tell you the truth, most of us have already been down the road your on. If you can afford it, invest into quality lighting and you will be successful. Please in the future don’t hesitate to ask questions about any aspect of growing.

Thank you all I’m new to this myself when comes indoor an these LEDs if I can’t get this one with maybe a few cfl added to be close to proper for my small area I may switch back to my original set up with was a 2 foot two bulb fl with one warm one cool bulb an CFLs on splitters lol least till check an save up for a optimal set up

Good point lol an I tried little with it but it a beer company online looked to have good company base so I figured half way decent product an all the reviews was positive an high ratings which lead to believe it was worth what asking since got on sale an had digital copiun I got it fairky cheap which I figured was a flag in itself but weird things happen every day so took chance

1 Like

In a 1.5x1.5 ft space I’d get a HLG 200 Diablo.
It’s $200 search for a coupon code the sale just ended!
It’s a TRUE 200w with a dimmer and the driver isn’t mounted on the light so you won’t have that extra heat to deal with there.
It’s got 648 top bin Samsung full spectrum and 18 deep red Samsung.
Flowering footprint of 2x2 so perfect for your space.

Save a few pennies and get the best light possible. Scrape by on the rest of the shit and upgrade as you get the cash, but lighting is where you really need to make the best investment right out of the gate.

2 Likes

Trying to find what be the best height to hang 60w panel for seedling/early veg, the area is small place 1.5x1.5

1 Like

12 inches would be a good place to start. If seedlings stretch; lower the light 4 inches.

2 Likes

Thank you so much I just recently learned to since I’m new to LEDs that it just 60w actually even though they say it 600w eq that I should hang it for 60 instead 600 that bit had me little confused but thanks to you all I’ve learned bit knowledge today so always plus an always Edgar to learn something new

1 Like

I’m going to move this to your other topic so everything stays together. This is to help you and to avoid clogging up the feed with multiples of the same or similar.

Happy Growing!

I will definitely check them out. Thanks alot

1 Like

This is how you judge your light and adjust it for growing.

Start Using DLI

Thank u so much what was looking for i downloaded a app to measure everything help me better with hanging that ks everyone ao much

1 Like

MAke sure you set the app for the correct lighting and hours on and take a reading in each corner and the center at the same distance from the light and take the average.
One reading isn’t enough.
If you have a dimmer you can play with that to adjust the DLI otherwise you’ll have to raise or lower the fixture.

Best of Luck!!

This is taken from GVG website’s product description

• Small LED Grow Light In Lower Running Costs & Higher Efficiency - GVG LED grow lights use the latest LED plant light technology including Samsung Special Diode,offering a truly high efficacy rating of PPF per Joule (2.7 μmol/J @ 120V AC), but consumes only electric 60 watt with 234 LEDS, making it more efficient than traditional HID lamps and other plant lamps on the market

I am not sure what this represents. It shows PPFD at a hanging height of 12". It may be a single point reading or some sort of cone apparatus that concentrates the light to a very small area. What I can say is it is NOT an average reading over an area of any size. No way does this light produce an avg PPFD of 809.

For comparison purposes this is the PAR map for a Chilled Tech X1 Mini - veg spectrum. It is a 20" bar fixture that draws 65 watts. At the bottom of the map you can see what equipment was used to obtain the readings. Also the physical space is quantified. This is an absolute requirement for meaningful readings.

The avg PPFD over the 2x4 space is 217 at 12"
Using only the values from the center i.e. a 2x2 area, the avg PPFD increases to 330.

It is high end very efficient light using top line components as described in the light’s specification section:

I trust what Chilled Tech is telling me because it is telling me the equipment and parameters used in determining the values. I can not say the same for most LED grow lights sold on Amazon.

If you paid $30 for the light keep it for seedlings and small plants during veg. The diablo 200 previously mentioned would be a great light for the small space you using. HLG also has a 135 watt light that some use in 2x2 or smaller spaces.

1.5 x 1.5 space (.45x.45cm) = 0.25 square metres

To create 700 PAR light in that space assuming standard 2.1 efficiency then you will need 67 watts (700x.25/2.1 = 67watts).

I’m using 2.1 efficiency as it’s pretty much standard on these style lights - the quoted efficiency is rarely what they claim.

700 is a nice level to grow bud without stressing the plant in a small place.

Start the light at about 1 foot (30cm) and after 3 weeks lower to 8 inches (20cm) and leave it there.

Ok everyone thanks for all feed back I bought readers so I measured my light average all that proper way an no it isn’t close to what says but it does have a 600 reading at 12 in (632 average) an Dli 11.5 the average number an a lux of 10 k from my understanding that should be enough for seedlings an veg long control the height but I have cfl or other horticulture LEDs I can add this just mainly a seedling/early veg box,. If I’m missing anything or messed up somewhere plz don’t hesitate to say it lol still new to the LEDs an readings but it is a shame that manufacturer just can’t tell the truth on there products,. Catch more flies with honey than vinegar!!

Ok so for my seedlings I should keep it round 12 in right , it has a higher ppfd rating than what says online that seedlings can take (round the 2-400 range what told) but it’s pushing high 5 low 6 at that level so wouldn’t that be little high for fresh seedlings, bare with me plz and thank you so much for all the Info you all are so helpful,I was hesitate at first to even ask cause most chat rooms an threads all see is people being a**holes to people that’s really just trying to learn but this has been the best site for sure thanks everyone for all help an comments

Sorry forgot but when I set it for 2-300 ppfd like says for seedlings then my Dli an lux are high like 13-14 Dli an 11 k lux would that be to much or should just try it an let it sort the weak out

Sorry I gave you incorrect numbers

60w will provide average PPFD (usable PPF) of 504 in that space (60x2.1.25)

You will need to get another 20-25watts (at 2.1 efficiency minimum) of light in there to have an average of 700 (consider a couple of warm red CFL bulbs)

Don’t wast money on light meters, trinkets or dodgy claims - just get yourself 700 average PAR into that space and you’ll produce nice quality bud.

Right I have all that plenty bulbs an stuff hell I have another 2 foot 2 bulb fl one cool one warm bulb in it I was using for seedlings I thought putting it into the equation as well but with my ppfd already higher than the max for seedlings wouldnt it burn the seedlings up if I keep them at let’s say 500ppfd an 11 k lux wouldn’t that be little much for seedlings or am I backwards an would want to be pushing that hard