Guidance for a New grower

Hello everyone, so I ordered a few things and just wanted some feed back to make sure I am going in the direction, tent Mars 27"x27"x63", lighting I went with a HLG 135W QB V2 RSPEC LED KIT, I got 3 6” Hurricane clip on fans, a timer and power strip. I am going to be doing a living soil not sure if I should use a 3 gal rain science bag or 5 gal, also should I purchase an exhaust fan/carbon filter and ducking now? Thanx for any guidance.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @Funny718, your off to a goooood start, you will need some ventilation, an is this just your room build or… Like I would have some pH up an down an pH, an TDS pens on hand as well. When do you plan on starting your grow? An wait for some others to tune in get some more opinions on ventilation that’s just my 2 pennies.

3 Likes

I’m running the AC Infinity s4 with a carbon filter in 2x2.5x5’11. No smell just need a little negative air pressure

3 Likes

Thanx appreciate it. Depending when I get my seeds either this week or next.

2 Likes

Ok added it to my cart thanx

2 Likes

get the t4 with the better controller. I’m about to upgrade mine!

2 Likes

Hello and welcome!

If you’re in living soil, you won’t need a pH or TDS meter. I’ve used municipal water that is 7pH without any issues in living soil.
I’d advise sequentially going from small to large pots. It’s fine to stay in a 1 gallon pot until the roots have fully webbed out. Eventually, a 5-10 gallon pot would be a good fit for a single plant in a 27”x27” tent.
You can save some money on a 4” raxial in-line fan with a Vanleno 4” carbon filter.
The 135 is an excellent light and it’s well-matched to your footprint. You won’t see the yields that hydro growers hit, but soil is very forgiving. Just don’t start fertilizing it midway through. If you start with the right blend, and get hotter with each repotting, you’ll be okay.

7 Likes

Thank you for the advice, but Did I read that correctly? RAXIAL S4, INLINE BOOSTER DUCT FAN WITH SPEED CONTROLLER, 4-INCH Would I need another inline fan or that’s all I would need for my setup? It’s so cheap I hope I read that right.
thanx bud

2 Likes

This is what I was talking about for my grow area. But that’s just what I use.

4 Likes

Hit that like button plz lol :point_up:

Edit Im using 2 of those in my second tent one in one out an lovin those over the vivosun

2 Likes

Haha I hate that!

2 Likes

You read that correctly. The setup works.

4 Likes

Wow your the best thanx

I have a quick question about the light I have, how do I control the intensity or rather how would I know what intensity I should have it at at seedling stage? With an Hlg 135 rspec v2.

1 Like

On top of the driver there’s two black plastic caps. remove those and you can adjust them with the screwdriver that came with your light. One is volts and the other is watts i think. You only need to adjust one of them. lol i can’t remember which one. i left the cal off the one that controls the watts l. when my lights come on tomorrow i’ll look and let you know if someone else hasn’t answered by then.

2 Likes

Thank u brother I figured it out, I got the tent setup, I chose to go with a 15 gallon rain science bag and I have a blumat 15 gallon pot coming so watering will be done automatically I’ll just top dress every month and make some teas, ty to everyone that helped me out so far really appreciate it.

1 Like

Update so I got everything setup so far I haven’t popped the seed yet waiting on my inkbird humidity and temp control, it’s coming tomorrow. Things are moving along, also got a 15 gallon blumat kit wit 5 gal res so my soil will stay at the correct moisture level here’s a couple pics.

Can’t forget to thank Breezy, Keystonecops and Unknow, thanks for the all ur help guys.

7 Likes

Looks fantastic. I would say you could start the germination process already if you wanted. You wouldn’t really need anything for a day or two anyways.

4 Likes

Thanks again that is my goal for tomorrow, any pointer on seed germination?

4 Likes

I just drop em in a shot glass with RO water and a drop or two of hydrogen peroxide for 24-48 hours. Usually they sink within 24 hours. then I place them in a damp paper towel inside a ziplock bag until I see a tail about 1/4 inch long. At that point I would put into a solo sup with medium of choice and get a bowl loaded and some popcorn and start watching the show!

5 Likes