Guerrilla grow watering dilemma suggestion

It would be fabulous if nature was on your side bringing rain every other day for us, but realistically it tends to either rain too much or else get hot and dry for weeks at a time. Unless your location has a nice stream or river close by you are going to struggle to keep your plants from getting bone dry. It is hard enough slipping in unseen with 2 Gallons of water and nutes in your hands. When it is really dry just pouring your precious water on top of the soil around your plant doesn’t tend to get the job done. A better way to get that precious water to your girls is to dig about a 2" deep hole next to your plant, or if on a slope on the high side above your plant. Then fill 2-liter bottles with your water and stick them upside down in your hole. Your gallon jug will just about fill 2 bottles and you can carry your empty gallon jugs back out with you for next time. Unless your soil is really porous and sandy the 2 ltr bottle will fill up the hole and then get sort of vacuum locked. It might look like it isn’t going to let the water out, but have no fear it will slowly saturate the ground under your plant, where its hungry roots are, instead of just evaporating off the topsoil. You probably still need to bring your girls water every day if they get a full day’s sun. I find the best time to slip in and water your plants is just before or at sunrise. I’m learning this type of grow is not as easy as one might think it is! It often seems as if all of nature is working against you too.

1 Like

If you could find a location in a low area close to water, the soil would retain the moisture from the water table and might not need to be actually watered. I don’t guerrilla grow, but the soil I am growing in is very high in organic matter which means it holds moisture extremely well. I haven’t watered my plants for at least a month, but I also don’t live in a hot or arid climate. Just my thoughts.

2 Likes

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. The problem is our girls will drown and die much quicker than they will die from dehydration. Therefore any low-lying area with a high potential for standing water or flooding must be rejected immediately. It rains heavily and you go to check on your girls and find them in an inch or more of standing water, if they are not in fabric pots you can pick up and move immediately, what recourse do you have? You can’t try to pump out the swamp, you can only strip off anything that might be worthwhile and kiss them goodbye. But I do appreciate you contributing to the discussion. If the plants get real dry and you at least get a cool enough night to produce dew, their leaves will try to suck as much moisture out of that morning air as they possibly can. It is bad when it is hot and stays hot overnight so no dew is produced. It is going on 2+ weeks now with no rain.

I hope some of our rain goes your way. I’ve been battling 92% humidity outside every night for over a month. Which is easy to do. But costly in dehumidifier that creates more heat than lights so AC runs more. It’s an all or nothing situation with weather anymore.

1 Like

@Flying-High definitely find yourself a different area if at all possible going forward like what @G_Man said if you can find a low lying area near the water table, for example an area near a swamp or natural spring same concept but I’ve guerrilla grown for years and my best success was in swampy areas, building raised beds with dead logs and introducing your own soil in the raised bed, as the plants grow they will search for water and grow down below the raised bed to get the water and that will fix having to move water where you don’t want to be seen.

3 Likes

I had not considered the raised bed idea, interesting. I suppose wearing a backpack filled with soil one time is better than having to bring in gallons of water quite often. Something to consider. I also tend to avoid swampy areas because of water moccasins (cottonmouths). Damn nasty snakes!

1 Like

@Flying-High its pretty easy to take in a grain sack full of soil, I used to use 80 lb grain bags from whole corn, fill them with your soil, it doesn’t have to be anything extravagant just used some generic black gold or something similar other than anything with added fertilizer like miracle grow, also add extra perlite mix everything shovel it into the bag and zip tie the end, it works great!!! To be honest I’ve never used any nutrients other than worm castings previous to this year but that’s only because it is easier access now. Also about the snakes haha you trade one evil for another and also take into consideration if nobody wants to be around water moccasins then that would be a great place for them not to be found. I’ll tag you in my geurilla grow this year.

1 Like