Growth disparities between identical strain in same enviroment

So I am on my second grow (noob) but have made immense strides since my first attempt. My two plants, critical purple autos, are in a 2X4 Vivosun, with a Mars hydro TS 600 and AC Infinity T6. I also have a circulation fan and small heater with thermostat. Soil is my weakest point having used the orange box store’s crap with perlite and sand mixed in for drainage and air. They are in 3 gal. bags. Temps are 77 degrees F and humidity 45 - 65 rH during lights on and 71 degrees lights out. Light schedule is 18/6. I check the soil moisture regularly with a hydrometer and they currently get 3 cups of water each with light feeding amounts of Calmag and Bio Thrive.
I did have fungas flies (from the shite soil I imagine) but did a Neem oil drench, hung a pest strip and covered the soil with sand and perlite. Flies are gone (and the larva to I hope).
These plants will both be 4 weeks tomorrow. My question is, why is one 8.5" and the other 15". The taller is just starting to flower and the bushy one just keeps getting bushier. I have read through the forums as to pruning and LST but again this is just my second grow so I wanted to hit you more experienced horticulturist up for some input. They both look perfectly healthy to me but I am perplexed by the disparity in growth. The stems are pretty thick so I am not sure training is an option now? Prune? Just let it go and see what happens? Whadda ya think? Thanks!

2 Likes

Unless they’re clones, then you’re more than likely to get some phenotype variation. My brothers and I look nothing alike :man_shrugging:t3::green_heart::palm_tree::sunglasses:

6 Likes

Don’t give up on the little one @WaterRabbit
It’s sucks that they are 2 different sizes but I managed to pull a zip from my little runt.
You could pull some of the branches down on the right one. It’ll help open it up a little

2 Likes

I have 3 critical auto going now. 1 is fat. 1 is tall…and fat…1 is medium height with freaky leaves. All same vendor. All planted same time. Pretty normal.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Thanks for all the input guys. I feel some relief that in that it is probably ‘happenstance’ that this has occurred and not due to something I have overlooked (or screwed up). It’s hard to believe by this updated pic but I decided to remove what turned out to be half of the foliage. I only took the major single leaves towards the bottom and left the leaves on the starting colas alone. And since they are the same age I jacked up it’s pot so it has equal light with it’s sister. Fingers crossed - we’ll see what happens! (Will source my seeds from ILGM next time). Cheers!

2 Likes

The other will catch up I bet. If one plant begins flowering before the other the flower stretch in the stems will make it taller. Once number two flowers fully it will stretch too.

2 Likes