Growing with live earthworms (Show your worms!)

Anybody else try this? I’m on my second grow using them. I was trying to come up with a way to recycle my old root balls, and after listening to some Future Cannabis Project podcasts became interested in vermicomposting.

6 Likes

Funny thing just bought red wormz to help aerate soil and add worm poop to soil yesterday

4 Likes

I use live worms there great for adding microbes to ur soil aswell as aerating the soil aswell as feeding ur plants ,when i make up my pots i reuse my soil i re amend my soil with kelp meal and alfalfa meal fish bone meal and sea bird guano and volcanic rock dust fertilizer aswell as mushroom compost i mix this with my soil i put enough to last up to three months i add my worms back into the soil and i wet it down and i let the worms break the organic fertilizer down ready for the plants to eat i leave my pots for about a month before i put any plants in there

3 Likes

@Aussie_autos , you stole my secret recipe! :grin: I had a couple more ingredients - Epsom salt, crab meal, and insect frass. It was basically, a little bit of everything on my shelf. The soil this time had been cooking for at least two months.

I haven’t given any other fertilizer, except a couple waterings with fish emulsion. If you ask me, it doesn’t get any easier. It’s like the worms are doing all the work. :worm:

1 Like

When I mix up my barrel of super soil I add a box of earthworms and see them when I harvest and dump out my dirt from pots.

2 Likes

Oh,I get it! :+1:
I have uncle jims on speed dial…just bought 2000 red wigglers. First the worms go into my (2)two compost containers-40g trashbins with holes drilled on bottom,and sides.Then I move the worms and castings to the main pots.
My problem is trying to keep the critters from digging the worms up.I got a black squirrel that looks me in the eye after I see him in my garden. In my mind,I named him QUINT ,from Jaws. Kinda perfect.
“You city boys with your red wigglers and nightcrawlers…”

SL out.

2 Likes

LoL I’m also using a 40 gallon city waste bin (with holes drilled) for making compost. No worms in this batch yet but I have red worms in another batch, smaller bin, that overwintered just fine. This (outdoor) grow I’m preparing for will be my first and I would definitely consider encouraging the worms to come along into the 15 gallon smart pots.

3 Likes

Welcome @Mountainfreak to our community. Please come in and leave something of the happiness you bring…
:smiling_imp:
:crazy_face:

15 gallon? Nice. Put them worms to work!!
Happy growing!
SL out.

2 Likes

Its great when u have little helpers to do all the work to make it easier for our plants to eat

1 Like