Growing with LED (beginner) any advice?

Many of us have fallen into the lighting trap. We buy what we think are good lights, only to find out that it’s still not enough. I’ve just finished my second grow and have upgraded my lights twice. Lighting is expensive and will be your biggest investment in this hobby if you’re growing indoors. There are affordable lights out there but that is a relative term. My lights for my 4x4 tent will run $700.

1 Like

They are correct. You are in a perfect location to learn. And you’ve startd it so in the immortal words of big mama… ‘boy u betta finish dat plate’. Learn about maybe a deficiency that pops up going thru flower or how the watering habits change. Then learn about curing and drying. And before u drop the next seeds. Have an error or two already solved.

Also they keep saying u didnt have to spend 600$ to learn ur lesson. :joy::joy: when u think about it. That in itself is a win. Before u buy lights definitely take a look around a few forums. @MattyBear has a small space grow that did amazingly. I love this site

U can start at the top… but here is the good part

1 Like

Also spoiler alert: alot of the above is technique. Matty is a bonafide Horticulturist in my eyes. Just goes to show u. With good efficient lighting and a solid setup. The sky is the limit.

3 Likes

Matty’s story is quite common on here. The best thing that you can do is invest in decent lighting. I was used to growing outdoors. I wasted money on my lights, and then had to battle the heat issues they cause. I just built a light for $220 Lots of help here with lighting. Just ask and someone will always help. Good luck

2 Likes

@PurpNGold74 can you guys tag me in the post where I can learn to build a led from scratch?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum :wave:

4 Likes

One more First time grower - new tent and light AGAIN!

1 Like

I agree! Would also like to point out that it doesn’t take a bunch of expensive stuff to grow weed. But spending a little more than bare minimum can go a long long way if you spend it carefully.

5 Likes

I’m trying to spend all my money very wisely until I have the hang of things to justify upgrades. But, soon.

2 Likes

Let me know if I can help when the time comes.

1 Like

For sure. I’m looking at two fixtures, probably. One for a veg space, probably like 2 x 4’, and one for a flower space, maybe 3 x 6’-ish. I have a few ideas in my head, but we’re looking at a few different places. Until I know which, I’m not sure the size room I’ll have to work with. The plan is to basically just expand the size of the areas I’m running now: some counter/table space, a nursery, a veg space, and two flower spaces, and a space to dry, staggered to hopefully harvest every couple weeks, maybe even one plant a week, we’ll see. But I definitely like the idea of a perpetual harvest, as opposed to harvesting a lot will at once. It seems cheaper to light several small spaces vs. one large space, yeah?

1 Like

@KingVars you’ll see my build under the first heading, post 27.

2 Likes

@dbrn32 @Myfriendis410 @PurpNGold74 @elheffe702 You guys update on plants.

I top them yesterday right before I turned lights off and it Seems like both plants have grown in the time I was sleep. Here’s some pictures of where I topped both plants.

Some pictures of the ladies

To show you guys how they are doing and where I’m at.

2 Likes

How is your air circulation in that room? A few spots seem to either have wasted nute water spots or maybe rust mold? Are those yellow spots? And have they spread?

Bare with me I’m going to send images of the spots for each plant separately.

This image right here these two both leaves have been like this from the start. I was told that this was light bleaching or light burn which would make sense because I use to water directly on to the plant and let it flow down but now I don’t I water the soil and if I need to mist I make sure to have the fan on so no light burn continues.

These images seem to be new granted I did say I was having a bug problem before. I used a soap solution to fix it and I haven’t had any issues since also placed inside the house instead for garage. @PurpNGold74

Second plant is a little worse out than the other one. It have seem like I have been more careless with this one for I drop a light on it and accidental ripped off some foliage removing bugs, and even simply being to aggressive.

@PurpNGold74 air circulation I have the ceiling fan and my own fan with 5 speed settings.

As far as disease I don’t think that it’s I think it’s just all stuff from me being careless.

Yea they are resilient little ladies. Can take a licking with the best of them. And thats good. Just was wondering. :+1:t5::+1:t5:

I will say however I’m not sure what this is and I only noticed it because you asked.

And the bottom leaves of the second plant are very dry to the touch. I haven’t fed or watered either in 6days I waiting till tomorrow before I do another feeding but I’m starting I think I should just water with regular water instead.