Growing Places in Maine

I live in Maine, one of the most affordable cannabis friendly, veteran friendly states in the union.
I’m not a realtor nor do I represent any. I do however wish to help fellow growers interested in relocating to a cannabis friendly state some tips and answer any questions they might have about finding suitable property.
There are many affordable properties with homes in move in condition and enough land to grow commercially outdoors or in greenhouses or all indoor. I personally prefer the sunlight methods. Waldo county Maine is a hotbed of agriculture with lots of potential for cannabis growers in the very near future.
Join the discussion whether you have something to add or ask as a current Maine resident or not.

6 Likes

This site isn’t affiliated with any realtor. It’s a portal to MLS listings statewide.

Fill in the blanks with what you know. I usually go Single family, Waldo County, max price 125k, 1.00+ acres.

2 Likes

Most older homes in Maine only have 1 bath. It’s really cold and snows a lot in winter. Air conditioning is optional in summer.
Factor the cost of adding a propane fired whole house standby generator into your budget. I lucked out and bought a place that already had one. It was a huge selling point and is the only way I could meet the telecommuting requirements of my employment.
Factor in studded snow tires to your automotive budget. Remember they’re saving your summer tires and your life.
Realtors are not your friend. Google Earth and online town tax assessor and county land records are.

4 Likes

So far the cream of the crop in my opinion is
MLS#1291428
A couple I mentioned in the Morning garden and my grow journal had issues like Railroad tracks MLS#1317656 and rights of way MLS#1313107 through or beside them.

1 Like

You work for the state @Willd haha
Was talking to Wifey about what you told me the other day and she seemed intrigued by the thought of lower cost housing haha
Maybe when I retire which is still some time away
She did say she waned to see the state so here we come in October bro Woohoo
My commute would be killer from Maine lol :joy:

2 Likes

Knox and Lincoln counties offer more coastal properties but you’re going to pay a little more
Here’s one very close to the Togus VA hospital with a stream and frontage on Route 17.
MLS#1313107

1 Like

This thread was made for me lol! I won’t have the money to put down for at least another year though, but I can’t stop looking!

:v::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree:

1 Like

First time homeowners and veterans often quality for $0 down loans. I put nothing down in 2011 hence the $598 mortgage. If I had put down the conventional 20%, my mortgage would be more like $350/mo

1 Like

Your killing me @Willd my mortgage is 4x yours
Jezzzz
And I don’t want to get into the taxes I’m around 9000$ a year

1 Like

are you waterfront?

Me @Willd no I’m inland
Have farm country all around me well it was farm country a lot of it was sold off a developments built instead but we still have lots of corn fields And a. Inch of dairy farms around

1 Like

Let me just chime in here and urge caution with Maine real estate. So much of the property here has been kitchen tabled over the years that it can be a nightmare of boundary disputes and right-of-way issues. You must demand a survey, your own attorney, title insurance and any other protections you can think of. If you go through a real estate agent, do not deal with the listing agency. They have zero obligation to protect you, the buyer. Title Insurance companies and attorneys are quick to disavow responsibility when something comes up after the sale closes. They have their money and that’s all they care about (guess how I know this).

Look at ALL the surrounding deeds back as far as you can. If a piece of the property you’re buying has been parceled off in the past, make certain THAT deed doesn’t grant an easement across the piece you’re buying. (guess how I know this).

Also take a hard look at snowmobile and ATV trails. They’re everywhere and they’re great. Until you discover one across or near your property. Then you get to listen to the damn things day and night. If one does go across your property and you decide to shut it down … now you’ve ticked off the local yokels. Wanna bet how that’ll go over?

In some ways, Maine real estate laws are very weak and poorly enforced. Oh, and if you’re “from away”, you’re a prime target for whatever shady scheme the locals want to play.

3 Likes

Perfect advice I wish I’d had prior to buying here. Google Earth, County land records and town tax assessor records are your friend. Seems most natives would just as soon shoot you as exchange hello if you’re “from away”
I feel the same way so I guess not having too much trouble fit right in except for my Italian sounding name with funny characters in it.
My neighbor tried to prevent the sale of this property to the previous owner, disputing the boundary that was surveyed multiple times since the lot was separated from his fathers land and sold to his uncle in the 1940’s.
People up here are extremely territorial and possessive. The previous owner had a new survey conducted in 2007 when they purchased it. I now understand why they only stayed here for 4 years.
I’ve tuned out my next door neighbor’s hillbilly kennel of perpetually barking chained up dogs and penned goat, ducks, crowing roosters, and whatever menagerie of duck dynasty influenced carryings on occur over there

2 Likes

Deeds are often laughable, too. One involved in my problem references a tree painted yellow at the base. In 1965. Want to find that yellow 50 years later? Ha. Or using a granite rock as a corner. And the list goes on.

2 Likes

The subdivision where we bought downeast this fall was surveyed really well in 1976 and perfectly marked with blazes. The guy who performed our soil test helped us chase down and mark our boundary line around the entire perimeter. He said they were re-done really well by a logging company he used to work for that used our lot for access to logging behind our property in the late 90’s

1 Like

Still have to say those risks @PhantomFarmer mentions still mostly outweigh the cons of living in a metropolis or the burbs.
I keep to myself and stay off other people’s private property

1 Like

So wait, are you saying purchased land that received a title inspection assuring it was free and clear even though it wasn’t free and clear?
Damn
And I thought I got boned on the disclosure citing the 6k-10k gallons of water I was pumping out of the cellar daily from January- summer as “moisture in spring”
Yeah any time the valuation/commitment records and the assessors tax map show any discrepancy, I balk.

1 Like

We have an undisclosed easement. The Title Company says it’s not their problem, the attorney who prepared the deed threw some weasel words in to protect themselves, the Realtor is dead, the agency he worked for is defunct and the seller doesn’t have any assets to go after even if we got a judgement.

The undisclosed easement is on an adjoining deed, parceled off this one years back. It’s a bit complex but the seller may legitimately have been unaware. The Title Co and attorney should certainly have examined the adjoining deeds. I’m sure we’ll be in court some day over it.

2 Likes

That’s solid advice @PhantomFarmer
And all those things are necessary where ever your buying property imo caution and homework should always be done :white_check_mark:
I have a friend in the title search business as well and I have contact the town on every piece of property I’ve purchased to check into back disputes and what not it’s all public info
:+1::+1: and thanks for looking out for other members phantom :v:
Still liking the idea @Willd

2 Likes

Having a work from home job with a light daily load and online access to public records makes investigating potential realty for friends and family looking to get off the merry-go-round a fun hobby for me if nothing else.

1 Like