Growing in Texas weather Hott!

Good luck ,we had 106 today, another Summer day in Texas, stay hydrated my friend.

Weather guy says heat index was 117 degrees Fahrenheit today

1 Like

@Stevengray60
Always a good idea to start more than you plan to keep. Cull the weak, keep the best.
My prefered start method is the wet paper towel. I can watch as the seeds hatch and let the tap root get 1/4"+ long…then plant. ASAP if it’s curling. Do it in a clear cup and you can see when the roots have covered the bottom and ready to transplant. Pipe cleaners will offer support until the babies are strong enough.

You and I are in similar boats, brother! There are lots of places to buy Happy Frog products in Texas - especially in South and central Texas. I even found it in some small city/town gardening stores/nurseries. Lady Bug is a great Texas-based company producing high quality soil and soil amendments. It’s pretty easy to find also. What’s your nearest city? In San Antonio look at Fannick’s Nursery, Rainbow Gardens and The Garden Center. Pretty much any nursery that specializes in organic gardening will have most, if not all, of what you need. Amazon can help with the rest.

If you have mosey neighbors that you don’t get along with very well, BE CAREFUL! I’d be less worried about people seeing the top of a plant than them SMELLING one. You’re average Texan wouldn’t know a Cannabis plant from an oleander at a glance and aren’t walking around thinking about folks growing cannabis - it’s just not such a big part of our culture like the west coast. But that stinky smell may attract attention. Based on the description of your location, it’d sure worry me outside. I’d be looking for the least ‘stanky’ strain I could find. We Texans gotta look out for each other!

There are a lot more Texans on here than I imagined and the great folks that have already chimes in on your thread have been helping me out a lot in the past few days. You came to the right forum. Welcome!

1 Like

Thanks for all the help. I live in Wichita Falls area. Walmart does not sell fox farms soil but they can have it shipped to a Walmart store near me. Now my seed is in a gallon coffee bucket with some organic soil I got from Walmart. I have seen a product on internet called “speedy veg. “$33.00 and it promises 20 percent better growth and better yield. Company knows about Cannibas and caters to growers. I thought I might try this product after I transplant in my 5- gallon cloth pot. 1-scoop with water and mix it up an pour on the soil. I know good soil helps too. Fox farm has a good ph balance mix in soil. So I’ll order some from Walmart and use this additive with it an should be good. Says don’t have to throw soil away afterwards just keeps getting better. I’ve read that plants have a definite smell. Just didn’t realize how bad. I’ve only got one plant and one neighbor I’m concearned with but I got a privacy fence he can’t look through. So hopefully I can keep my plant cropped and fixed down so it won’t grow too tall, so even if they are smelling something they won’t know where it coming from. Thanks for all the info and help. I’m excited to see this Grandaddy strain come to fruition. Hopefully get some good buds

1 Like

Home Depot is also in the “sell it online only”. The profit margins are motivating many larger corporations to quietly tap into the “home gardening market”.

Wirchita Valley Landscaping looks like they may well carry a bunch of stuff you can use. I was just Googling quickly. They seem to have a focus on organic growing. Fort Worth is only about 2.5 hours from WF and there will be ALL SORTS of stores selling EVERYTHING you could want for Outdoors or indoors.

Thanks I went to their website and I see that they build their own soil. They advertise not to use too many additives to their soil as not to have there plants dependent upon nitrogen soil extras. So they don’t use fox farms. so at this point I most likely just order online from Walmart They have several kinds of fox farms so I guess the ocean kind with bat guamo fish stuff and nutrients. 12-quart bag for like 17.89. Probably get a couple bags so I’ll have enough.
My plant just sprouted it lill head barely through the soil. So life has begun. So I’ll start some pics soon.

1 Like

Long ago in the age of “Gestapo raids”…no one could be trusted. No one talked. No one to ask…I only had access to Alaska Fish Emulsion. It was a very affordable and available everywhere. It will do in a pinch, until you can find something better.
BTW…WalMart carries their whole line of “home garden grow additives” . Part on and two, as well as PH up and PH down. I like the PH down…very affordable.

Thanks for the info. I went through Walmart ordering Fox Farms ocean organic soil 1- bag was like 15.75 free shipping to my mailbox. I still think I need another bag to fill up my five gallon pot. My Grandaddy purple plant has finally started to barely grow. Couple inches tall. Be a while, but in a work in progress. I’ll post a few pics when it gets a lill bigger. Not quite a whole lot to get excited about yet although I am excited!!! My first grow. She’s my baby ya know. Thanks again

Yes…we understand how a new baby makes a parent proud. Good Luck

my lill lady. Only one plant. So hope she makes a awesome harvest in several months. She’s had a rough start. After finally popping hr head up an a week or so later the usuall first set of leaves come out. And I read somewhere to take n pull off the little not plant leaves but the rounded ones. I did. Fist one comes off easily, but the second one tugged. So I pull a lill harder and almost pull apart the stem in half. O great. So as u c I taped it beck together immediately. So this little girl is about three weeks old. I don’t know if it severely stunted it or if she is where supposed to b for her size. Looks like she will make a comeback an doing better