Growing in Shed

Hey, community. About to get started with my first grow. I am growing inside but using my shed as an extended room. I have two questions.

1. The shed is not heated or air-conditioned. Nights are cool (some nights as low as 54 degrees F). Are these conditions too extreme for seedlings?
  2. I will be using a 300 watts LED reflector as my lighting. Is this adequate?
4 Likes

Hi and welcome to ILGM it’s a great place with great people
Those temperatures are but mine have survived it will stunt the growth some what but it will bounce back if it has a good root structure among just being healthy, now as to the like idk.
@Amazon66 @Gremmall these guys might know more.

3 Likes

Im in the same situation. Walmart has a small heater for $17 to help with the cold.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your great answers. I thought a heating pad under the pot would suffice for any late night temperatures falling. I’m in Louisiana so it’s almost spring weather now.
My next question:
Is store bought garden soil ph neutral enough or should I consider making my own. It is going to be an indoor growing area and using auto flowering seeds from ILGM. Thank you for any advice.

2 Likes

It’s really up to you but I’m all organic have compost pile, worm bins etc.

2 Likes

First welcome, and second I dont have your answers but I will say good luck and I hope to see some beautiful buds in your future!!

1 Like

Sounds alot like your setup so I think you could help him with his but anything specific about plant I’ll try or as you know we just keep asking. I think you have it covered might have to go into more detail maybe not. :grin::seedling::seedling:

50’s are pretty cold for seedlings.
I use a heated matt like this (not exactly this one) until they get established.

https://www.amazon.com/VIVOHOME-Waterproof-Propagation-Germination-Certified/dp/B074MPQ3NF/ref=zg_bs_14252891_8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DT96V2S5PC1FA774290Z

1 Like

Thank you @Drinkslinger, That is the heating pad I was looking at. I think it is better to have and not need than to need and not have.

3 Likes

Welcome! My thoughts is if you had a small tent inside the shed. With your light on 24/7 For the first part of the seedlings life. You would raise the temperature During the night a lot. And at that point warmer nights In Louisiana should be close. Good luck with your grow.

2 Likes

How big is your shed, the dimensions? Mine is like somewhere around 8ft tall by 5ft wide by 5ft deep. And I haven’t used heater in it just one fan set to low,(high) now cuz it’s hot, but my plants have been in the 20’s a handful of times, slowed growth way down but they caught back up. Here is the one that survived the moving of location.

2 Likes

Welcome @kmer6 to the forum! This is a great place to get you started … there is a Support Ticket you can fill out to help everyone help you! I have a copy of it but cant find it,
Basically it sal for all your grow info, Lights, space, nutes most info needed to give good advice … I’m sure a Mod or someone will put one up for you to fill out. Good luck your in a great place to succeed!

@Dickrick527, It is remarkable that your plants lived through the cold spells! You must be doing something right. Congrats! My shed is attached to house, a storage shed per se, full of stuff, but I have a clear area about a 3-foot square. I love to purchase a grow tent but I can’t let the family know anything. I was thinking about building a cabinet, of sorts, 3x3x5, sitting on a skid on the floor, with door and vent holes, so curious eyes don’t see.
With that setup, a fan is a must. I already have a light and a timer. I have the only keys to shed, which once I plant, it will remain locked. I’m attempting to grow WW all-flower so I don’t need a tall cabinet. Thank you for your suggestions and good luck with your crop!

@CoyoteCody, thank you for your welcome and I intend to learn, grow, and contribute to this great forum.

1 Like

@Teacherttom1, thank you for your welcome and insight. A great forum to contribute to, which is what I will do once I learn what I’m doing.

1 Like

Cant really contribute much in same situation but my grow romm is in back corner of shed walled off to 4x6x7 room with ac heater and oscillating fan . I second that on great forum lots usually info I’m 2 weeks or so in first try.

2 Likes

Welcome to the site and LUCY on your grow :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

1 Like

It actually seems that my plants like the colder weather, just bag seeds so I don’t know what exactly it is. But it’s doing good so I can’t complain just a little worried on the fact that it just started to stretch and I’m in the third week. Short on potassium and phosphorus. So it could be doing better.

1 Like

@Magnum4174, Thank you for the welcome and suggestion. I like that idea better than mine. If I could just get to the wall I could build a little grow room like you. My intentions since I don’t have a grow tent is to build a box, 23" x 23" by 48" tall, with an LED light that I can raise as the plants begin to grow. This box will have wheels so I can move it to keep the grow private. I planted three seeds and two have just poked out of the soil. They are autos, WW variety. How close would you recommend the lights be hung above the plants so they get maximum light without hurting them?

Tina is looking good