Growing in outside heat

I’m new to this form. I’m interested in purchasing very high powered THC fem seeds for next summer’s outdoor grow. Sativa dominate for sure. I’m in southern Virginia and my growing area gets hot and is covered with hot sun during the summer months. It’s hot. I’m looking for help choosing the proper strain.

2 Likes

In southern virginia, id be more worried about wet harvest windows. The heat should be tolerable for growing weed. Im in the gulf south and our summers are rough, but it can be done.

Those wet falls are another story entirely. Look into mold resistant strains.

7 Likes

Or perhaps autoflowers started early so it can finish before fall.
In Missouri here I wouldn’t even try to grow photos due to the damp humid conditions.
We get mold on everything. But If I could get a plant harvested during the dry July August window it would be perfect.

3 Likes

Ditto what was said above. We get close to 100 days a summer that are well over 100 (up to 115). The plants seems to love it. I just pull the sun shade over them when it gets over 105. So shorter flowering periods will do better with wet or humid weather., and autos will finish fairly quickly. I just don’t know what I’m doing with autos so I feel like I have to plant like 10 times the amount to get the same amount from a photoperiod outdoor plant.

Mold resistent Sativas:
Durban Poison
Panama

Heat resistent sativa:
Super Silver Haze
Durban Poison
Blue Dream

3 Likes

That SS Haze is pretty mold resistant as well. Had a WPM breakout once. The SSH didnt get a single infected cola! I think it was because the buds were pretty spaced out, but she was a soldier

4 Likes

Thank you for your help. Going outside is a new experience I’m excited to tackle. Thank you again for your help. LR

1 Like

Thank you. Great to know.

1 Like

Nice thank you

1 Like

Thank you. I’ve never had any luck with autos, but may need to take a deep dive into learning about them. I’m learning they may be my best option.
Thank you again

2 Likes

I quit growing autos because of the inconsistent results.
While I have not tried seeds from other banks I have seen better results from other breeders.
Mephisto comes to mind. Maybe Fastbuds as well. Not to say ILGMs product is bad. I love the results I have had. But my limited experience with autoflowers is they can be big, little or anything in between.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ve twice tried to grow Blue Dream autos indoors. Both grows didn’t do well at all. Probably because I didn’t know what I was doing with them. I’m for sure going to drop a couple of seeds that I already have outside this spring. I have a lot to learn before that.
Thanks again for your help. LR

2 Likes