Growing in Melbourne, Australia

Hi all!
I am a first time grower and I plan to grow outside.
I live in Melbourne, Australia and I am looking for any help tips and hints for a first time grower and also if anyone is from Melbourne, some tips on how to beat the heat in summer.
I will be growing feminised GSC and I am looking forward to hearing absolutely anything to help me grow a successful crop.
Cheers!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! Happy to help with any questions.

1 Like

Hi and welcome. For an outdoor grow, I would recommend some auto flowers too. That way you’ll have a mid summer harvest and a fall harvest.
I did it this year, and I’m only a week or so away from harvesting the autos. The photos just started flowering. I highly recommend doing this.

1 Like

Welcome to the community

1 Like

I dont think you’ll have to worry to much about heat I hear your guys highs tend to peak at about 40c /104 F which most plants can handle (especially Afghan origin ones) I also recommend autos they tend be even hardier and you’ll want to figure out your watering and feeding schedules (also if you choose the organic fertilizer route you probably won’t have to flush) on an easier grow your first couple harvests oh and GOOD LUCK we re here for you

1 Like

Hi there! I have a buñch of questions that are probably very simple.
I am going to buy soil from a hardware store such as Bunnings. Will normal organic soil be good enough or is there something specific I should look for.
Also what kind of fertilizer should I be buying?
Is a PH meter a necessary tool and if so what should I look for when buying?
When I brought my seed I only got feminised, how long do they tend to take to harvest?
I’m sure I have loads more questions but that’s all I can think of right now.
Thanks so much everybody! :slight_smile:

I prefer to mix my own soil(its also cheaper then the good soils) 1/3 compost 1/3 peat moss 2/9 perlite 1/9 vermiculite with this fertilizer mixed in I’d say about 2 tablespoon per photo plant you’re doing(I assume you’re making a bed otherwise I’d recommend 7 gallon fabric pots for photos 5 for autos) I personally don’t use a ph meter but that’s cause i mix 50% distilled 50% tap water which i know will get me around 6.7 ph water which Is fine but 95% of people here reccomend testing your water

I like this natural fert along with their flower blend cause it has decent calcium and magnesium and I think it’s perfect for autos cause you only have to feed them 2 more times( once every 3 weeks unless they show deficiencies) unfortunately its gonna be until fall for your harvest (they need 12/12 hours) but they’ll be nice and big by then

1 Like

This will fine, as long as it doesn’t have “time release fertilizer” you’re good.

Yes it is. You’ll want a digital ph meter. Doesn’t have to be a lot, just don’t buy a 3in1 meter that measure moisture too, those are awful.

This depends on your vegetative period, to when you change the light schedule to 12/12, then it will begin flowering. Flowering times can vary depending on the strain. Breeder should disclose that time period. Usually around 8-9 weeks.

Fertilizers are an opinion. Im not sure what kind you can get there, and I’ll have to tag some aus growers. But I’m not sure who’s been active lately.
Look into Jacks Nutrients on Amazon, I’ve switched, and a lot of other members are switching.

1 Like

Hi convergrower! Thanks so much for the reply, my mind is starting to get a bit confused researching it all, so thanks for helping me out!
I will definitely get a PH meter now and will go check put the nutrients mentioned out now
I am really looking forward to my first grow but also I’m feeling very nervous about getting it right!
Will keep studying until my seeds arrive.
:grin:

1 Like

We’re all here to help! I understand about the first time grower jitters, we were all there once.

Don’t forget to tag a grower using the @ symbol. @Covertgrower

1 Like

Hi greensnek, thanks for reaching out to me!
I will have a look for the fertiliser you mentioned now.
Started to feel a bit overwhelmed lol
Lets hope my first grow will be successful! :grin:

2 Likes

It’s like that for all of us then you get 2 weeks into your grow and you go UGG I’ve learned everything I could possibly ever need to know that isn’t real life experience and then it just becomes a waiting game while you baby your little seedlings

2 Likes

Hi Sarahchu,

Im from Melbourne, you can get all you need from Bunnings. Not that its easy due to lockdown atm. Mid to end of sept should be perfect time to start growing outside. Any questions just ask.
Maybe germinate and start inside then put them outside. I had a 5 week old plant looking a bit sick indoors just put it outside and already good after 1 week, the sun and outdoors are great for Weed.

1 Like

Hi there @Hot_Dog_Rage
Thanks for replying. Great to hear from someone also in Melbourne and going through this bloody lockdown too :crazy_face:
Do you have any recommendations for soil and other essentials that are available at Bunnings?
The more I research the more confused I’m getting myself.
Will I need a grow light for the first stage through germination inside?
I know this is different but what I do with my tomatoes is pop the seed and plant them in small pot inside until the sprout then I put them out side during the day and bring them inside at night until they are big enough to plant outside. If that makes sense lol.
Will look forward to any help you can offer to this newbe
Many thanks!

1 Like

Hi Sarahchu,

The germination should go fine inside , try and find a warmish place thats also dark. The seeds don’t need ligh/sun until they pop through the surface of the soil, then they can have full light.
What you do with the tomatoes will be great now that the weather will be getting better, once they are about 3 weeks old get em outside.
I just place my seeds in a glass of water until they crack and show a little bit of taproot, then I place them in the soil and very lightly cover them with soil. You only need to put them approx 3x the width of seed deep in the soil.
Heres what I use for soil mix from Bunnings ,

@Aussieorganic This is Aussies mix he taught me, it works great. I couldn’t find the manure but still works really well.

A good Bunnings soil mix is
Bag of organic compost ,richgro brand is fine
Bag of peat moss
Bag of perlite
Bag of cow manure
And mushroom mulch
You can also add Cocco to fluff up mix

I also added some potting mix.

Mix like 50%compost to other parts if I’m growing in 30litre pots I put a teaspoon of blood an bone but not necessarily if U don’t want

For starting the seeds I pot them in plastic cups with a Seedling/Cutting mix from Bunnings costs approx $8 for a full bag which is way to much. Then when they get to 3 weeks I transplant into the above soil mix.

Anymore question just ask, Cheers.

1 Like

I use Jiffy Pods after soaking and waiting for the tap root to show and then place the seeds in them until they get big enough to put into my 30L Pots. Jiffy Pods reduce the risk of transplant shock and some of the Jiffy Pods come in a little green house :slight_smile: Also found at bunnings.

I’m doing a trial of a vegi organic potting mix vs a bunnings vegi mix to see if there is a difference, one cost $15 and the other $5 from bunnings (both will have mushroom compost, perlite and other special stuff).

Hi from Perth WA!

Hi @BurpYourHole
Thanks for replying! I’m a bit unsure what jiffy pods are but I will have a look online.
Just waiting for my seeds now and lockdown to end so I can start my growing!
Thanks to everyone here I think I’m getting a good picture of what I will need to purchase in order to start!
:wink:

Welcome!
Watching from Sydney! It’s all indoors for me - but in soil with clones :crazy_face: :v: