Growing Durban Poison

I ordered some Durban Poison seeds (regular) to grow and to breed. ILGM recommends growing hydro for Durban Poison. I am not set up yet for hydro so I will grow in Kind Soil. Has anyone grown Durban Poison in soil? Any tips? Thoughts?

2 Likes

DWC with 5 gal buckets is not that difficult. Easier than soil. All you need is a bucket/lid and air pump/stone. Just need GH Flora trio and pH up/down.

2 Likes

Durban in soil outdoor right here, admittedly just starting. I did grow 2 in the 90’s, turned out good in soil.

3 Likes

@AAA Nice looking plants.Are they regulars? I plan on growing at least 1 male to pollinate a female to get some more seeds.

@WickedAle Back in 79’ I made a 2x4’ table with 4" sides. I grew a mother plant and took 32 cuttings and put in 4" rockwool cubes. I had a reservoir and pumped water till it almost covered the cube and there was a small hole in the table and it drained back to the tub after 2-3 minutes. I pumped 3 times a day.It was covered with a plastic cover to keep humid for clones to root. I flipped 12/12 as soon as I saw roots in the clones and ended up with a nice big cola for each plant. Hardly any trimming at all. What would you call that system today?

1 Like

My Durban Poison in soil. She is 10 weeks old. She will be going outside later this month. She has been in a tent. I used organic soil from Home Depot. The strain looks very hearty and my plant looks very healthy,

6 Likes

Sounds like an ebb and flow. I think @Bogleg does and E&F.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Yes, regulars.

I’m using Durban as one of my main Breeders, Skunk #1 is the other.

4 Likes

I got Northern Lights for my other. I am looking at the Skunk also :sunglasses:

3 Likes

@WickedAle My house stays around 78-80° during summer 68-70° winter. Will these temps work for DWC water temps?

1 Like

Summer temps are a bit high but if you run with good cleaning and a non-organic nute package, such as GH Flora you will do OK. Winter is perfect.

Thanks I am going to research and find out what I would need. From what I have seen so far I think a biigger tub for one plant and scrog would be best for me to try.

How big is your space and do you want to do a SCROG? SCROG makes DWC more difficult because you then have to pump in and out the nutrients. With my bucket system I just swap the buckets with new nutes. Tote do have larger volume, but 5gal is sufficient if you are growing 1 normal size plant. I would suggest a non SCROG DWC for your first hydro grow. Get a Walmart 5 gal and cut the top for a 3” net pot with a hole saw.

I have a 4x4’ tent and a 4x8’ tent and a 4x7’ area to grow…and a bathroom.

Get a set or 2 of these from Walmart instead of the 5gal buckets. They are a perfect size and will be useful if you ever convert to a RDWC system:
Sterilite, 7.5 Gal./28 L Stacker Tote, Yellow Lily, Case of 6

In a 4 x 4 you can grow 4 plants. So with your 4x8 you would need 8 totes.

Ok then cut a hole for the plant holder and just use air stones? Change water weekly or just top off? If I get 2 sets I would change water weekly by changing the bottom of the totes?

3” hole saw from harbor freight. Not sure why there are 2 separate listings (with coupon they are $10 but couldn’t find one):

1 Like

Nutes are changed every 7-14 days depending how fast they drink. I run all of my lines through the lid so I can just swap to a new bucket when I change. Just use the bath tub to refill and dump. I zip tie my net cups into the lid so they don’t tip over. Don’t go too big on the net pots as they take away volume from the container as you want to run your level just below the bottom of the net cup. Get rapid rooter (not rockwool) for seed starters and some hydroton pebbles to fill the cups around the rapid rooters. Air needs to be pumping constantly with air-stones. I use a 4 port 15L/min active aqua pump for 4 spots, but if you are running more you should get a bigger air pump.

2 Likes

If you want to research a RDWC system check out @Grandaddy013 thread, but as I said, get your feet wet with DWC first.

1 Like

I saw that thread have not read it all yet. If I try the bucket or totes you showed first how often do you check and adj ph? The nutes are added only one time per bucket per change? The pump I linked should run 3 stones per bucket for 4 buckets. Is that enough?

https://heavygardens.com/active-aqua-air-pump-12-outlets-112w-110l-min-4-cs.html?fee=15&fep=1361&utm_source=google-feed&utm_medium=shopping%20feed&utm_campaign=SCFeed&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o5&scid=scplpAAPA110L&sc_intid=AAPA110L&gclid=CjwKCAjw8LTmBRBCEiwAbhh-6JGbs1Q7G8_LS1nAeAVLnbWXQKm0hIm80PfnW1zHmQUg22PNUkLvoRoCD7kQAvD_BwE