Growing Cheese from seeds in tropical climate

Hi all, I am a new grower that lives in a tropical climate. It’s hot & humid 8 months of the year, hot as hell 2 months of the year and a bit cooler at night but still 30/32 during the day for the other 2 months.
The day/night only has a slight variation from 12/12.
I have been growing a local satvia with some success. It’s a hardy little bugger, the locals just plant it and leave it alone even though the soil is garbage. The plants are very small with very low yield but hey, it does the job (just lol)
I have managed to improve things with better soil and nutrients but I am really keen to try another strain now.
I have some feminized cheese seeds but I really don’t know if attempting to grow them in this climate is a complete waste of time?
I have read about acclimatizing strain by letting a male and female germinate and the resulting seeds should stand a better chance but mine are all female so guess that’s a non starter.
Does any one have any advice or tips to help me get that wonderful “cheese” to grow in this environment please?
Many thanks in advance.

5 Likes

@EyesNoEyes I think you already know the answer to this. Nutrients added to the soil will really improve your yield. Even if it’s crappy soil, as long as it drains, and you give them nutrients at the correct times, you’ll do much better than if you hadn’t added any.

1 Like

Thank you your reply but I think my long winded question may have confused the issue.
I have read that satvia is much better at sorting itself out and will start to flower when it is good and ready despite light conditions.
But my concern is that “cheese” a hybrid from the UK is going to flower way to early in the 12/12 day/night.
I have read a lot if tips for keeping the plants cooler and have an idea for keeping the monsoon rains off but other than taking the plants inside for an extra 6 hours artificial light each day I am at a loss on how to stop them flowering way too soon.

@EyesNoEyes extending veg time with artificial lighting is definitely a great way to go if you choose. Many growers do this, and shouldn’t be a problem.

Another option is to build a tarp from some plastic sheeting to keep the rain off. Mold issues is what I would be most concerned about. Keeping it mobile to bring it in the house I still think is best.

Yes I think it might be the only way. Keep it mobile as you suggest and the light and rain become non issues.
Only thing is that I was hoping to keep the cost down but if some grow lights is what it takes then it will be worth it.
Think I will need a carbon filter too, apparently if you enter a room with a few “cheese” plants in the lungs want to shut up shop. The smell is so strong the brain starts telling the lungs “breathe this and we die”. Lmao
Thanks for your help Covertgrower, much appreciated.

1 Like

@EyesNoEyes if your working to just “keep them in veg” a couple of cheap lights will do the trick. If you intend to actually grow them indoors, you’ll need better lighting. Just depends what you’re trying to achieve.

Yes I want to just keep them in veg. What lights would you suggest? Must admit I have been looking at these fancy full spectrum LED’s but the price, boy oh boy! Lol

@EyesNoEyes as long as you do not intend to grow exclusively under the indoor lights, regular household LED screw in bulbs will keep them in veg. If you try to grow with them, you’ll have less than spectacular results.
As long as the sun is your primary light machine, you’re good to go.

If you do intend to grow indoors, highly recommended to get some quantum boards from horticulture lighting group. Efficient, and outstanding light performance.

CG you are a star, thanks for sharing your knowledge, I really appreciate it.
And if I can get this “cheese” to harvest Imagine what it will do to the locals haha. They already think my take on their local variety has whiteman’s magic thrown in ha ha ha.

1 Like

UOk dumb question time!
I have never used lights for growing seeds, as I said the local satvia is as tough as they come, but with these “cheese” seeds and hopefully then some clones I wish to do things the correct way.
I am aware I will need a T5 light for the seedlings/clones but after looking all day I can not find an answer to my question which is: Are the T5 fluorescents special grow lights? I can see there is a big price difference between one you put in your kitchen and ones that say “grow” on the packaging but is there any real technical differences?
I should mention I only want these for the seedling/clone root growing stage.

You can purchase special grow light spectrums. However 3000K to 6500K normal bulbs will work for seedlings. @EyesNoEyes
You could even use the same led bulbs I mentioned above to keep in veg for seedlings if you wanted to save some cash. Seedlings dong need a lot of light so they’re easier to keep happy, than a plant in flower.
Hope this helps.

Thanks again CG. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I live in Panama so close to the equator and want to know the best seeds to use for outdoors. I have tried different sativas with mixed results. They never grew tall and started budding way too early. Is there a specific type i can use that doesnt need much attention as far as lighting to keep it in veg. Thanks

1 Like

Hey Lem welcome to the Forum, interested in what you may have found out. I am in a tropical zone not that low but tropical zone