Growers Choice UV-B Aux Light Bar?

So does anyone have experience with the Growers Choice UV-B Light Bar ? Think it’s pretty new product.

There is no real reviews or suggested starting intensity values supplied with the light or at the vendors web site.

It’s clear that the Aux bar is typically only used in the last few weeks of the flowering stage. Presently on a 12/12 light schedule.

Have the ability to control the intensity and duration of the UV-B light bar. My thoughts is use UV-B on the same 12/12 schedule, as would be seen in nature, but keep the intensity level at 25% and see how the gals tolerate things.

Understand the need to use protective glasses or turn off Aux light bar when working in the grow room.

1 Like

@dbrn32 may have heard of it. I can’t help.

1 Like

Not really true. Have you ever noticed in the morning and evening, how the sky seems red? The light from the sun gets “red-shifted” due to the angle it’s coming in. It needs to travel a longer distance through the atmosphere and the longer wavelengths (red) are better at this. In the middle of the day, it’s the shortest path, and this is when the most uv makes it, including the most uvb.

2 Likes

Well… after reading this article, which looks to be a well executed paper…

The use of Aux UV-B lighting is “iffy” at best… With lots of possible down sides if the intensity to too high.

Frontiers | Cannabis Inflorescence Yield and Cannabinoid Concentration Are Not Increased With Exposure to Short-Wavelength Ultraviolet-B Radiation

3 Likes

I know nothing about this light from specification standpoint. I would start using at low intensity for short duration and gradually increase until you can get a feel for how plants behave under it. Too much uvb can cause you some problems, just not sure if this bar is capable of too much.

1 Like

Your right… UV is not the same all day…

Highest UV … Is when the sun is highest in the sky… The same warnings for skin protection/tanning…

Weather person… “ UV level 9” Use sunscreen !

In general it looks like Aux UV for cannabis is a negative thing

May do 3 hr @ 25% power… and just check the results … Looking especially for curling leaves that show light stress . :grin:

1 Like

UV is no negative thing. Outdoor plants receive more UV than a human would be able to handle all day, everyday for half the year. They have defense mechanisms for this and that’s what’s sought after for an indoor grow. I can say that, without a doubt, indoor UV supplements increase trichome production.

4 Likes

I use a UVA supplement light in my tent

2 Likes

UVA is the best UV for growing and you can run that all day with your main lights. UVB is a more intense UV spectrum and can actually be detrimental to plants in large doses. And, of course, UVC will burn you to a crisp in little to no time and shouldn’t be used at all in growing. Thankfully our atmosphere filters out most all of the UVC and most of the UVB before it hits the surface of the planet.
UVA is what you want for trichome development, UVB is what you want to warm your iguana.

*If you spend enough time under the UVA you’ll feel it. It’s in the part of the spectrum which tans us, which is basically what it’s doing to the plant, which as a defense the plant produces more oils and resins which are carried in the trichomes. So, in effect, trichomes are a marijuana plants self-created sun block!
But man is it good for the old head!! :rofl:

5 Likes

Forever Green Indoors has their UVA’s on sale currently, but they may be sold out at this point.
I just installed 2 in a 4x4 I’m currently setting up! Literally last night!

5 Likes

Don’t even start researching Far Red! :rofl:

4 Likes

My most respected friend on another site (MDbuds shout out) swears by them for pest IPM all other reasons aside. He swears you will never have another spider mite or rouge knat land with the uvb.

1 Like

Firt…

BobbyDigital… many thanks for the time and effort you expend as a moderator for this site.

Here is the Growers Choice aux UV-B. @ $180…

I have noticed one rail is considerably “Brighter”. that the other (?) … Investigating that now…

3 Likes

Nice setup there!

1 Like

@Tylersays

3 Likes

One is brighter because of the camera angle!

@CurrDogg420 - :heart: Mine are mounted to a HLG Diablo. I can’t wait to get some green under that rig!!
Very nice set-up!!
You got a journal? Tag me in bro!!

4 Likes

Yes… Once both lights were placed side by side… Same light intensity is seen…

. It was the camera seeing a different divergence angles from the LED’s when mounted in the grow light assembly …

Yep…, have a grow journal…

1 Like

UVA-30 in my 3x3…

1 Like

I have a question about the UV-r bars:

Does anyone have them cutting off with the light or are they staying on 24/7?

I have the MC also and mine stay on all the time. I can’t imagine this being good for the plant, especially during flower?

Any advice?

@CurrDogg420 @BobbyDigital