Grow Set up for Beginners

They say all the right things but that’s easily copied n pasted lol

2 Likes

For sure. Every grow light out there is best light ever.

3 Likes

Maybe for one of the lucky Cannabis I’ll buy a single 30w (equivalent) Amazon grow bulb and see how a single grow bulbs does over a mini house plant.

My brain is now turning on making a elementary science fair project with cannabis. Lol :joy:

Found my bulb. 100w from a 20w power, well now I’m sold!

100W LED Grow Light Bulb, Full Spectrum 150 LED Grow Light Bulb for Indoor Plants, E26 E27 Base Grow Light Bulbs,160 Degree Plant Grow Lamp for Flower Hydroponic Seed Organic Growing Greenhouse Plant Amazon.com

1 Like

Thank You!

Opinions?

I missed humidifier/dehumidifier, AC and heater! I guess with the moderate temps and OK humidity (hang a wet towel in the tent) here I forgot those.

1 Like

This would be similar to the kit I bought. If you do 1-2 plants would be fine. One issue I had is even with doing SCROG the light wouldn’t be enough to cover all the areas equally so I added a second light.

As others mentioned though, close to the same price you can get a better light, exhaust and filter if you buy individually. Unless Amazon is giving a discount on that kit…hard to pass saving money.

Id personally buy items individually and piece it together

1 Like

I studied SCROG last night. Interesting.

What lights do you have in your flower? I went the cheap led route for the first few grows and will probably dive into the hlg market when I upgrade.

I’m in seedling stage. First time.

1 Like

I have an SF-2000 and a SF-1000

1 Like

I was looking at sf a long with hlg. Are you happy with your results or plan on upgrading the lights at some point? The price between those two brands is pretty significant. I know i dont want to go cheap again thats why I ask. I got some pretty dense buds though from the maxsisun lights in my first grow

As of now I am happy with the results in the tent.

Unless there is an emergency where I really need to flip plants in my veg tent, I am waiting to just build lights.

That was always my plan as I can build them the way I want and size. When I started growing I just ordered a kit, but since I’ve swapped or replaced parts of it. Everything in the kit is still in use somewhere. But I probably would have gone with a HLG looking back. But from the data they have SF efficiency is out there and comparable to HLG but there is a difference.

If you want to know though if there will be a significant difference in yield between the two, probably, is it worth the upgrade if you’re satisfied with your current yield, probably not. Cause it sounds like the light, space, and style you use is working, so changing the light wouldn’t make a huge difference. Now if it was like my first harvest trying to run max yield, no just a single SF2000 wasn’t enough for a full 2x4 flower footprint. But a single plant it would do fine.

My first official good seed and effort into a setup grow is hang drying as I type this haha I think its too early for me to upgrade lights at the moment. I got some dense buds, but also some popcorn fluff. Now im not sure if thats from the lack of light power or my lack of maintaining a trim and ‘cleanup’ schedule along with other first time mistakes. I already have my seedlings popping up for my next attempt haha and I jumped in the very deep end of the pool for a newbie. First tent is a 10x5x6.75, it would be quite the bill to upgrade that with 2 of the hlg diablos!

1 Like

I would say off experience.

Cause that’s the same for me.

Don’t get me wrong I am quick learner, I will pickup on something just from visuals alone. But I also have to get hands on.

My first grow was out of necessity!!! I suffer from health issues and this was a possibility for relief. Due to that I rushed my first grow and paid for it. I had some dense buds in places but just like what you had a lot of popcorn or fluffy cannabis.

With my current run I adopted all the methods that others were using or that I skipped. Just doing that alone was a massive difference from the previous run. Now as I want max yield and max potency, I am willing to spend more if it helps in the long run. But I still have to be selective, as there are other items that will make this easier, or more reproducible. But as many experienced growers have said, it’s better to get a process down that works before modifying.

But from what it sounds like you are willing to go big, if you have the skills I would build a light. Seeing as the size of your tent. You can build one to get the same lighting profile that you would want for your tent that way.

1 Like

I really am looking forward to applying a lot of the information and techniques I have learned to my next grow. I’m even comparing nutrients on side by side plants with the same lighting and same soil just to see i prefer one to the other.

As far as building a light, it’s definitely interesting thinking about it. I did start wiring panels at my job this year so hopefully that would be of some benefit. What do you think the cost would be to build something to cover my tent? Or at least half and build two

2 Likes

I haven’t spec’d any parts yet. Aside from a few things Dbrn32 sent me. My workshop has probably 60% of supplies that I will need.

@dbrn32 is more knowledgeable than I am with grow lights, which manufactures are top tier, which drivers have less issues, and other special add-on’s

But if I were to apply just basic consumer to it I would probably say you could save easily $100-300 per light depending on where you order supplies and how much you can recycle supplies.

Digikey, mouser, Newark, McMaster Carr these places are good to search for individual components for assembly.

Octopart is a good resource to compare supplier prices before ordering.

2 Likes