Yea @AgentJay, this is a good thread to post. I was actually electrocuted when I was younger. By the exact way you just pictured it happening to yourself. I was in my basement helping my dad clean up the flood. And out of no where, I got shocked like I’ve never felt before, or since. My dad quickly realized that a frayed extension cord had become submerged in the water, and since my feet were in the water too, I got a massive shock. Ever since then, I have been extremely careful around any outlets or cords lol.
When I set up my grow area, I made sure EVERY cord is hanging, and not lying on the ground. JUST in CASE, God forbid, that my basement should flood again! I can’t even imagine those digital ballasts I have becoming submerged in water. I don’t want to even think about it lol!
Also, I have a set pair of shoes that I only wear in my grow area. The shoes don’t come out of the grow area. I do this to avoid contamination from any number of things out in the real world. I have dogs too, so it’s just easier for me this way. I’m a shoe guy anyway so I already a ton of them. I even put tarps up around the outside of the grow area, just for even more light prevention. I always wear my sunglasses too. That is really important to me because I already have sensitive eyes!
If I have too much run off, I have a shop vac right next to my tents for any spills or messes. I also keep paper towels there in case I need to clean up small amounts of water quickly. For me, I did all of this as I was setting up my grow area. I knew I would have spills, and I’ve had a bad experience with water and power cords lol. For some people they might not even think about things like this, so it’s a great topic to bring up Jay!