Grow room material

Looking into building a grow,
What is the reflective foam material called and what thickness is preferred.

Foam material is insulation boards, and does exactly as it says holds in heat.

If your doing an entire room I’d go with reflective sheets that don’t trap in heat

3 Likes

Some folks use mylar, though many prefer plain old flat white paint.

My tent is Mylar and it does hold onto the heat. But not for the Mylar, I’d have to do some serious work in fixing light leaks.

2 Likes

Thanks, It’ll be a room within a room. So I’ll build 3 walls and use the existing wall as the 4th

Emergency sleeping bags work and are inexpensive :v:

2 Likes

Mylar is your best bet other than a concrete wall to stop heat. Just use low heat lights like LED boards. I personally use budgetLED these lights are something special…

1 Like

Before we get too deep into foam board, why is insulation important in this instance?

What’s the climate control situation in the larger room?

Are there any windows in the room?

How large is the room, and how large is your grow partition?

What are you trying to achieve with foam boards?

1 Like

VIVOSUN Horticulture Highly Reflective Mylar Film Roll 4FT x 100FT 2 Mil https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018VI77QW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_E5UjEb7SQYMGC

1 Like

Thanks for all the help
I’m just looking into making a 12x6x10 room in my garage it’s a 4 car garage.

It’ll probably never happen just want to see what it’ll cost to do it.

A tent is pretty hard to undercut in terms of upfront savings, however they don’t help save on energy in the long term. The biggest energy sinks, aside from lighting, are going to be heating, cooling, and humidity control.

For about 2k, plus labor, you could build a tight 12’Wx6’Lx10’H closet with a ductless mini split. That’s a pretty rough estimate based on the cost of materials here. It also assumes you have access to all the necessary tools.

1 Like

You could build it for around 500$ in 2x4, sheet rock, door, electrical lines (tied into garage pre-existing outlets), outlets, trim, mud, and Mylar.

You’d have to use a 24” wide door on the 6 ft side according to what I just drew up.

Projected cost without electrical and mud is about $400

21 - 2x4x10
11-2x4x8
12- 1/2” 4x8 pieces of Sheetrock
1- 24x80 pre hung door
1- 5lb box of drywall screws
1-5lb box of wood screws (2 1/2”)

Only thing I’d have to offer is to say that garages aren’t tied into the central hvac system of the house. You will be at the will of external temperature of outside so I see why you asked about the foam paneling now.

2 Likes

We aren’t far off. I’d use a 2x8 plate top and bottom with staggered studs to allow continuous insulation and eliminate thermal bridging. I’d use a 36” wide exterior prehung door instead of 24”, and I’d add a gallon each of PVA and flat white ceiling paint over the drywall instead of Mylar; I do see the appeal of being able to spray down the whole room though.

2 Likes

Wiping walls down with bleach between each grow, Mylar would be a bit less expensive

1 Like

I put it together for 10’ ceilings with 2x8x10’s instead of 92s for studs

Higher ceilings increase overall cost a bit

1 Like

2x4 has some thermal value. In the construction industry and construction codes (ICC and IRC) filling the bays between the 2x4’s, is considered to create a thermal envelope suitable to be considered habitable space for a dwelling unit

1 Like

I mean a nominal 2”x8” plate instead of a traditional plate dimension that matches the stud depth.

1 Like

So you upper and lower plate in 2x8? How come?

1 Like

For the ability to use continuous insulation, which I would fill the wall with.

2 Likes

We are just trying to build an enclosure to house the plants, not to live in not for clumsy people like myself to live in :v:

1 Like