Grow room exhaust muffler

Anyone use a phat muffler? Does it work well?

1 Like

I’ve never heard of them @dmykins will be watching fir answers tho

1 Like

don’t know about a muffler but if your wanting to quiet down the fan noise then there a few things you can do.

@greenthumbfun I would like to quiet it down if possible. Honestly it’s just my wife and I, but if we ever host anyone then it would be nice to quiet it down…what are your thoughts to quiet it down?

1 Like

There a few ways you can go about this and @Countryboyjvd1971 is the dude I would listen to.
I know that there a couple of factors that play into ventilation systems and noise (pressure, speed and length)
the easiest way to quiet them down is to turn down the fan speed.
the next way would be to add length to your intake duct or outflow duct (aka. return and supply)
if your using hard duct then try splicing in some “flexi” duct at your blower on both ends
also you can baffle the duct witch means that you would have to build a box of sorts that forces the air to go around baffles just like in a muffler
hope this helps and I would wait and see what @Countryboyjvd1971 has to say

2 Likes

I’ll take a look. It isn’t a terribly big deal, just if people come over. And in that sense I can just tell them I’m running a dehumidifier lol. Thanks for the input!

1 Like

My grow room is in my home music studio so I am interested to say the least

This is the website
http://www.phatfilter.com/phat-mufflers

Actually that’s some good advice @dmykins and I would try all or some of that myself if noise is the issue nice job @greenthumbfun

1 Like

@dmykins is it air flow noise or motor noise your wife is complaining about if air noise that muffler looks like I may get help having never tried one tho I can’t give a recommendation in good faith but from the link looks good
If it motor noise can you locate motor in another room you don’t need to have it in tent as long as you stay with I. Specs for the setup you can run a duct back to tent and locate motor closer to termination point and still keep filter in room FYI
How do you have system laid out maybe a few pictures to help us help you bro

2 Likes

It’s a big cherrybomb muffler :grin:
A firearm suppressor type design would be much quieter
Actually making sure your using a fan with odd number of blades or vanes will be much quieter than even number - 3 vs 4 or 25 vs 24

Just leave a couple joints rolled up laying on the coffee table. If they smoke one, tell them you’re a relay station for an oxygen plant. If they don’t smoke the J… tell them your dryer is broke and your hang drying some clothes in the back room with a fan… and Never Ever Ever have them square ass Mf*]{}s over again.

4 Likes

IMG_0294

1 Like

It is 6" ducting with an inline fan…super small run. Basically goes filter to small segment of duct, to elbow, to inline fan, another small section and then out the top of the tent. My wife really doesn’t care about the noise, I just figured when people come over. But overall I think it’s air noise not fan noise…

You guys are awesome!

Those are just the questions I was about to ask cb.

A couple things come to mind… first of all, adding ductwork of any kind will quiet noise. But it does so at the expense of amount of air you’re moving, so keep that in mind. The mufflers do work, but they also restrict flow.

Controlling fan speed is a great way to quiet noise. But not all speed controllers are compatible with all fans. The cheap easy to find on amazon controllers can reduce fan voltage outside of safe operating range. Which can and usually will create more noise, short bearing life, and possibly premature fan failure. So definitely do your homework.

A couple of easy methods I’ve found are to use insulated duct, and to build a box lined with sound deadening material around the fan. I’ve used dynomat, but it’s expensive. Some foam insulation can do, but try to use something fire rated.

If you have a room or are looking to insulate an area around your grow, I would definitely check out roxul. It’s an acoustic insulation that works pretty darn good. I think I bought at home Depot, but that was a while ago.

I use a phat filter for my tent. Seems to work pretty well. I use a 440cfm exhaust fan and it was pretty noisy when I first installed it but I had it hard mounted to the floor joists. I have since remounted using bungle chords it it quieted it down quite a bit.
I don’t have the phat muffler just the phat carbon filter but my setup is pretty quiet. I tend to not run it at full speed though I have a variable speed controll.
You could get a speed control and when company comes over you could turn it down to quiet it a bit.

1 Like

Not bad. I will look into a controller.

1 Like

@dmykins you are on point sir not all motors can be used with speed controllers and it’s best to check with mfg if you unsure
Good job helping out brother you get a CB :cowboy_hat_face: WooHoo :raised_hands: and a :+1: Lol

1 Like