Grow Pot Setup for proper drainage/sampling

Hi all, I’m interested in what you all think about the best setup for your pots inside a tent. I’m currently using some saucers directly under my pots (see pic)

, but when I water and allow the drainage into these saucers, the pots are sitting in 1-2” of the effluent water. I’m afraid that the soil is just sucking all of the effluent water back into the soil and will cause problems with salt or nutrient buildup.

Any feedback on your experience is appreciated,

Thanks!

2 Likes

I use Saucers with risers under my plants. let me find a pic of them.

here is what I use. Hope it helps you out. You could use some short pieces of 1/2 inch PVC pipe under your pots also.

2 Likes

You did give me an idea… I’m going to buy a second pot the same size as my plant is growing in. I’ll set that empty pot into my saucer. Then add 3-4 concrete spacers into the bottom of that pot, followed by my planted pot. The concrete spacers will keep the planted pot well above the water level in the saucer and prevent the water from being “siphoned” back into the planted pot.

1 Like

Something like this… red are the concrete spacers, blue is the saucer, and green is the planted pot.

1 Like

That should work

1 Like

I think so too. Easily duplicated, doesn’t take up any more footprint, and the only cost is the second nursery pot… like $5.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Your welcome.

1 Like

Get ur self some pot raisers to get ur pots up off the bottom of ur saucers

1 Like

Ha! I suppose that’s an even easier solution! Thank you :+1::smile:

1 Like

I have the same Humidifier.

1 Like

6 Likes

Genius! I needed these when I started growing!

1 Like

Now those are a Great idea!

I think the only thing I like about having the whole saucer as a reservoir for the runnoff is that I can allow more water to flush through the media when I water. I’ve seen different amount to flush, but I think the average recommendation is something like 15-20% of the water should flow from the bottom of the pot which, looks like it may overflow this kind?

1 Like

I don’t run off that amount often. I generally do 10% but when I want to do a little more I just grab a bucket and towel and dump halfway through.
@Bugle

2 Likes

Pot elevators / risers are the way to go, keep the pots out of the runoff.

2 Likes

I use these too, very convenient.

1 Like