Grow light question from amazon

Hey new grower here and growing in my 5x5 walk in closet. I am looking at this grow light (model 1000)

Refer to: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082Y1PMWF/?tag=greenrel-20

Scroll down to the bottom where it compares with other models. Notice it says it takes 6 of these to cover a 5x5 room. But the 3000 model only needs one unit. The wattage of 1 1000 model is 90w and the 3000 model is 300. So wouldnt 3 or 4 be the real number ? Why would they have this number?

Honestly the stats for the 90 watt lamp look accurate, but I doubt you would see good results with the 300 Watt over a 5 x 5. It says that’s for vegetative growth, but it’s only 12 watts per sq ft. it says 4 x 4 for flowering, that would be 28 watts per sq ft. It’s possible, there is a knowledgable member here who is using 25 watts per sq ft for flowering, he’s using high quality lights he built.

But the 1.5 x 1.5 flowering area of the 90 watt looks correct - 40 watts per sq ft.

I was thinking for my 5x5 area getting 4 which would be 380w be suffice. Do you think so? I dont know why they said 6 is needed.

You have 25 sq foot. At 25 watts per that is 625watts needed. And that’s best case scenario.

Here’s my advice:

Assess your actual needs. Determine how much dried flower you need to harvest, and assume you can grow an average of 1 ounce per square foot every 4 months. Odds are that you will exceed this, but I believe that even if things go poorly, new growers will meet that target.

Then buy a tent that matches that square footage, and buy a light that matches the tent. Do not go the cheap route. I recommend HLG, and trust their in-house assessments (actually they outsource their light testing).

Notice that I recommend a tent. Place it in the closet if you want, but the tent will lightproof your grow and handle all the ducting you’re going to run. Trust me on this.

7 Likes

What @KeystoneCops said. I also see a link to a light in your post what looks like a knockoff hlg 100 , for $20 less than the hlg. If your gonna spend that much look into hlg. There’s several options on multiple lights or single light setups for that footage.

1 Like

I see. This is what the manufacturer told me though.

“What you said should be calculated according to the illuminated area of the light, not the power of the light。
BP1000 Veg Coverage: 2 x 2 ft, Flower: 1.5 x 1.5 ft.
BP3000 Veg Coverage: 5 x 5 ft, Flower: 4 x 4 ft.
Have a nice day.
Bloom Plus. “

I see. This is what the manufacturer told me though.

“What you said should be calculated according to the illuminated area of the light, not the power of the light。
BP1000 Veg Coverage: 2 x 2 ft, Flower: 1.5 x 1.5 ft.
BP3000 Veg Coverage: 5 x 5 ft, Flower: 4 x 4 ft.
Have a nice day.
Bloom Plus. “

Well, that’s true. Which is why you can get by with 25 watts with a high end light. However claiming a 300 watt lamp can flower a 4 x 4 is more that the top of the line companies would claim to be able to do. Honestly, I’m new to this, just getting started as my medical card just got approved, so I’m not the best resource, but I’ve seen that underperformance in lights will result in an underperforming harvest, and if it was me I’d rather end up with less of a high quality harvest than more of a low quality harvest, and I think that’s the difference between using that lamp on 4 x 4 or using it on half that space or a little less.

Cheep insufficient lights produce cheep insufficient buds! Good lights produce good buds, great lights produce great buds. It’s that simple (this is what I’ve learned). Most important decision is choice of lighting followed by choice of seeds. All things are possible after that. IMHO.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the help everyone. I already have 2 of the 1000 model of this brand and they are super bright i just didnt understand why the 3000 model would cover more than 4 1000 models even though the wattage would be higher. I wasnt aware these were considered cheap lights though. I see on other threads here that these are good lights and reviews on amazon say theyre as good as the spider farmer lights.

The problem is Amazon reviews are manipulated many of my grow products I bought from there is junk, and I make sure I say that. Then I get an email asking if they refund half my money will I remove the review. Say no, then they say what about a full refund. Say no, then they will pay you more than you paid for it to remove it. I personally have did it twice with lighting and several times with Vivosun products. So the reviews are bought. It’s against policy or I would post the emails.

1 Like

We are referring to them as cheap lights because they are cheap.

But they are Quantum boards, and better than a lot of the lights out there, and will do a good job with your plants as long as you don’t cheap out on the wattage.

They are most likely not as good as the Spiderfarmers, but probably not far off. Every guy who got a good price and sees a good result in their harvest wants to believe their purchase is just as good as the name brand. That’s what fuels your belief, as well as those reviews you read.

The reviews for my budget quantum boards said the same thing. “I’m running a spiderfarmer4000 right next to my Kuarez 4000 and I swear the Kuarez is brighter at almost half the price”.

I’m sure those bloom pluses are nice, and I would buy one of those if the price was better than my budget board price. But I have a lot of them - I’m shooting for >40 watts per sq ft of quantum board light.

The only reason the Bloom plus 3000 is rated for flowering a 4 x 4 is false advertising though.

1 Like

Wow thats crazy. I didnt know they manipulated their reviews. Thanks for your advice on this!

Thanks for the advice!!! Everyone!