Grow journal----Blue Dream auto & Big Bud auto. Round two

@FloridaSon You definitely use up nutes at a quicker rate than in soil. Especially veg nutes. I am switching to Promix HP next grow to see if I like it or coco better. I have the bag in my garage. I like having the control in coco and promix more than soil, personally.
That’s a good question about being allergic to coconuts and if using coco would have any adverse reactions. One for the pros lol.

I had asked last year, or the year before, and the agreed consensus was it was better to not risk it without knowing.

I’m finding myself in that position again with using cinnamon. My wife has that allergy. I used it as a deterrent for the cats, then found out it was useful for other pests as well.

I won’t put any directly on the plants anymore now that the autos are starting to flower…

3 Likes

I had never thought about that. Good point there.

I just dumped another 4 gallons in the bucket and have went from a 7.1 to a 7.5 now. If I switch to soil for this big bud. Is there any brand recommended over another. This will be my back up plan if I can not get the ph number down.

I use promix bx
Ho has more perilite ive never had a issue with it
There no nutrients in it either so unless you give it to them they dont get it :wink: @Not2SureYet
And you ph it just like soil

1 Like

Thanks. I am going to dump another 5 gallons on this first. I thought soil was cheaper than coco. I see it is twice the cost if not more. I have this sitting here and enough coco to come close to filling another container. I was trying to stock up so I would not have to spend any more money for a while. Looks like that may come back to bite me. :persevere:

3 Likes

I so the same with the promix
At the end of the outdoor season most garden centers and box store garden sections will run sales and i will grad 4 busssels of promix
I ran out this last grow
So ill be paying full price for the spring grow but thats how it goes

1 Like

Planted more than expected! Lol

2 Likes

Happy friday :grin: Well, technically tomorrow is the end of week 3. I figured I would put up a few pictures since I have a new question.
First off, the plants are doing pretty good I think. My ph numbers are dropping .1 each watering. I am now at 6.6 and dropping run off wise. I am putting it in a 5.8 every time. To be honest. I did feed last night at 1/3 strength since they were looking so good. I hope that wasn’t a mistake. These ladies are using a cup of water each day. And other than my new question, They seem to be doing pretty good.
I have noticed in the past week a few top leaves kind of a neon green. I had seen them on my other plants before so I was not concerned. How ever. Since I am off to such a good start. I feel I better as if I should be worried. I was hoping that they would turn back to a normal green after my ph was in line. At this rate. About one more week should do it.
The first picture is plant one that is the yellow/green. On plant 2. I have noticed one leaf that is a dark green with a slight upwards curl to it. I just moved my lights back up to 22’ I thought maybe I was giving them to much light? I do think I am on the right track this time.
@Countryboyjvd1971,that is pretty much how I try to work things too. Get what I can when the prices are lower.

plant 1

Plant 2

Big bud 1 week old

I don’t know if you can see it but I am seeing what looks to be a few white hairs at the top of this plant. It should be in veg stage for a while shouldn’t it? I se these in a few locations.

3 Likes

The lighter green is just new growth. Think of it as getting a tan. The longer your in the light, the darker you get. This isn’t the same symptom as yellowing from the top.

Looking good

3 Likes

Thanks @FloridaSon for the fast reply. I know you are on the east coast. I was crossing my fingers some one might catch this post tonight. :grinning: I will be able to sleep well tonight. I am pretty happy with my self this time. I spotted a couple tiny brown spots on a few leaves about a week or so ago. I bumped the cal mag up 1/4 tsp and figure maybe that did the trick? They never grew into the mess like my last grow, and They are fading away so I can barely see them now. These 2 look pretty good and are growing nicely. I was a little worried doing them on a 12/12 schedule since every thing i read says 18/20. I caught a few post of members here telling how their plants did really well with the 12/12, as well as a member or 2 telling me I would be fine on that schedule… I figure if it is good enough for you folks. it is good enough for me :grin: It is only because of the help I have gotten over all that things are doing as well as they are right now. Knowing the yellowish color is good. I will be hoping to see more. I thought I had messed up by feeding them to soon.
Boy it is a great friday.
Thanks

2 Likes

I just happened by. I’m glad the timing was good. :wink:

They look fine to me bud. Like @FloridaSon said, new growth can start out a brighter green.

1 Like

Well, today is monday and all is still great :grin: Hopefully I am not rushing into things but I just had a tap root show from an AK-47 auto show. I just put it in a rapid rooter. I figure I should see it pop up in a couple days. I have been forcing my self not to get into a hurry this time. I have room in the tent for 4 plants. Once the B.D finish, the B.B. should be 2 weeks after that and the AK should be 2 weeks after that :grin:
I have the big bud in a smart pot. I hope they are worth it. The B.D are 2 weeks older and in plastic pots. The B.B. in only a week old and is all ready taking double the water of the blue dream. They are all healthy though. So if more water is what is needed to keep them happy. So be it.
@MattyBear, I didn’t want to high jack your grow. Do you plan on doing 4 plants or more in coco at the same time? I see a lot of people growing a tent full at once. I am guessing they are all in soil. I have been looking at my set up trying to figure out how best to set it up for 4 plants and the lights. After this round. I want to stagger the grows so I will only have 4 plants in the tent for the last month of the first pair. I can put 3 on the side and one in the back like the first grow. just not sure how much room 3 plants need. I see a lot that put the 4 in the center of the tent. my issue would be getting the the pans to drain the run off. Right now light wise. I have the 2 450w on the side and a 300w over the b.B. I am trying to figure this out before I need to start moving the plants. if I do that is. If any one has any suggestions, I am all ears. it is possible with me that I may be over analyzing things again. :roll_eyes: For now. I am happy and relaxed. Every thing is going great.
They say some times it takes a village to raise a kid. I think they may have been talking about me lol
Lucky for me I found a helpful village here.

3 Likes

I was only planning on having 3 plants at a time in the flower tent, but the autos have other plans and are taking their time finishing. I’m going to do the next round all in Promix. If I like it I’ll stick with it, or go back to coco. I’m not a fan of soil, I like having total control lol.

I also use a shop vac and the hose reaches to the back of the tent. If I didn’t have one, I would have a drip pan under them all at a slight angle to collect the runoff.

3 Likes

@MattyBear, Thanks. I thought about the shop vac but I use mine for every thing else too. I could imagine what it would look like if I started dumping that over a few months. I was looking over my notes and saw where I wrote. Do only 2 plants, 3 max in the tent at a time. My humidity really starts to raise with more than 3 in there. With 2 it stays pretty good.
I am looking at getting a dehumidifier for the room. I am going to do some reading to see if that would make much of a difference. I have a small unit it the tent that seems to suck out a cup or 2 over the course of 3 or 4 days. That is when it was raining out. I have not had to turn it back on since then. I am staying between 45 and about 55 in the tent right now.
I will be with coco for a while my self. I feel I would be best to learn one thing reasonably well before moving to some thing else. I will follow along when you do the change and see what you think of it vs the coco. I am off to do more reading to try and figure out what dehumidifier would be best for me now. I am sure I will need a bigger one before summer gets here. If any one has a recommendation there. I would like to get one with in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Before these start to flower at least.

1 Like

Get a dehumidifier that can go outside the tent and have it suck the moisture from the room your tent is in. :+1::v:

4 Likes

That is what I am looking at. :grin: I didn’t realize the one I have is supposed to be good for 215 sq f. I will put in the room as into the tent to see how that works. I can always use this for when I finally get to dry some bud in the closet. I have a lot of empty jars here still lol
I see I can get a a/c unit that has the dehumidifier in it too. Would that be ok or should I just get a dehumidifier. I found an a/c unit at home depot that has a dehumidifier built in. I think it is 1.1 pints per hour.
Same as this one on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FFRA0511R1-Window-Mounted-Mini-Compact-Conditioner/dp/B00W2KG92Y?tag=greenrel-20

1 Like

Air conditioner will help with temps in the summertime too!

2 Likes

Any air conditioner will work as a dehumidifier unless you want to run it without cooling too.

1 Like