Grow in 5 gallon bucket?

A question from a fellow grower:

Is it possible to grow outside in a 5 gallon bucket rather than soil?

2 Likes

Sure! But I would recommend putting some soil in that bucket :wink:

8 Likes

I did a 72 plant grow outside last summer using 5 gallon buckets, along with 7 and 10 gallon pots

1 Like

I think it better to grow in pots 3-5-7-10gals. Pot Ez.er to control how you feed your babys especially for Organic growingbecause really if you grow in the ground you don’t know what kind of contaminants or bugs worms army wormsso that that’s just mean but I still do grow in the ground only for like long seasons because I like my roots to stretch so intense becomes bigger

I have been growing or useing 3 gal buckets. When I did my harvest the other day I noticed that the roots were all bunched up at the bottom of each bucket. I know now why my plants didn’t grow. I plan on switching to 5 gal buckets, this will give the root system of the plant two more gal of dirt to spread out and grow much bigger more yield.

Will

2 Likes

I’ve been using 30 gallon rope buckets for years,each hold a whole bag of Happy Frog. Depending on the strain,6-13 oz dry weight per plant is my norm. They will grow to 5-6 ft high.

2 Likes

Right on there Pete, I don’t have that kinda room…lol…wish I did though!

Will

1 Like

Us grow bags they make all every size 10 gal is good.

:joy:

Good one. I agree. Soil works best.

Hey whats up everyone first time grower here. Im growing Autoflower Northern Lights outdoors in Massachusetts this summer. Any tips on growing that strain would be great! Google said it was a good strain for MA so i went for it… Also we get crazy pine pollen here during the summer. Can heavy Pine Pollen affect your grow or be harmful to consume if it sticks to the nugs?
Thank you!

1 Like

The bigger the bucket the better it grow I use 30 and look what still happens.

3 Likes

@CCfarmer1 just do a bud wash or put a plastic cover over it should stop it and welcome happy growing.

I grew a 10’ and 11’ Zkittles last year in 5 gal self watering system I used Happy frog and Jacks321. The trick was the self water, to see check out my Greenhouse build on the cheap and the bucket system is about half way through. This year I am going to run water through a pump into the buckets so I can monitor the food closer. Its kinda a combination of a DWC and bucket with soil. I’m also lazy and last year I was feeding two gal. a plant at times. Yes buckets looked root bound but no worse than a hydro DWC. :sunglasses:Cat