Grow bags with Saucer, what to use as a spacer?

Hello,

I’m going to be using Grow Bags for my grow, and was recently informed I should measure run off. So if I add a saucer to the bottom of the grow bag, will it not accumulate water, which I want for measuring, but I don’t want my soil sitting in it long term, as that causes it’s own set of issues. I don’t want to be moving the plants every time I water to empty the saucer, I would be afraid of damaging the plant.

What do others growing outside in grow pots use for a spacer. I was thinking of adding crushed rock to the bottom of the bag before I add the soil which would lift the soil above the water level.

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1 Like

I use really big rock size perlite. Lighter and cheaper then most rocks.

1 Like

I put four 1 inch PVC pipe ends under the plant.

2 Likes

If you water the correct amount your plants wont sit in the runoff for long, they suck it up like a wick, i have to take my ppm pretty quick before the runoff is sucked back up by the pant. @SmokingWolverine

2 Likes

I use cooling racks ,they work great ,someone here told me about them , if I could remember who it was I would thank them . Thank you !!https://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Andersons-Baking-Multi-Purpose-Cooling/dp/B000HM9TGM/ref=pd_bxgy_79_2/134-9666484-9056947?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000HM9TGM&pd_rd_r=a23e40e5-5f03-11e9-8a36-372f1f22376f&pd_rd_w=KxVyj&pd_rd_wg=lfu56&pf_rd_p=a2006322-0bc0-4db9-a08e-d168c18ce6f0&pf_rd_r=EWDGKASGFFF3NFHPJRN1&psc=1&refRID=EWDGKASGFFF3NFHPJRN1

1 Like

If your growing in a living soil that’s is put together properly measuring any run off is usually not even necessary. When you feed using natural nutrients it isn’t as necessary as if you use man made chemical nutes with salts then you have to do all that Ph measuring run off and PPM measuring etc. if you have living soil with a good population of critters they handle all that stuff naturally. If you use chemical nutes they kill the critters.
As far as raising the fabric pots up off the saucer there are many good easy and cheap ways to do this as shown above. Just be mindful to use something that doesn’t leach out bad things into the run off if you do water that way.
I used this for my 17” saucers holding my 7 gallon fabric squat pots. Cost $25 at Home Depot I think or could have been Lowe’s is a anti fatigue rubber Matt that gave me 9 squares after cutting it up so I had 9 12”x12” squares and needed 8 of them for my pots.

Hope this helps and HAGD

3 Likes

I’ve used a few methods. Currently I use pvc pipe cut at 13.75" intervals. It’s neutral, dries quick, and costs very little.

3 Likes

Anything to put between your catch tray and pots will work. I’ve seen people use bricks.

2 Likes

I used cutoff pieces of 2"x3" lumber in my last grow. Don’t use wood. It stays wet, develops algae/mold, and I swear it’s the reason my fungus gnats were so bad.
Stick with non organic material.

3 Likes

Walmart on line sales has Mainstays 10" Black metal caddies on wheels for less than $2.00 a piece. I use them under 7 gal. fabric pots. I could not manufacture myself for 2 dollars and am able to spin and move plants around much easier with the wheels. Good luck whatever you choose!!

2 Likes

You saw me use bricks on my outdoor grow last year haha

3 Likes

I wish they had them in Canada, cost to much to ship here :frowning:

I have the grow bags in saucers and I put small type plant stands under each one before setting in the saucer. I bought some on rollers and some stationairy for $2.99 and Dollar General. I didn’t check the dollar store for any. I find it easier to do my ph and then I use a very small shop vac to collect the run off. The ones on wheels makes it easier to turn the plant if you want without any trouble. They are well worth the money. I forgot to say they raise the plant up from the saucer about 2-3 inches.:herb:

1 Like

I just said dollar general for $2.99. I didn’t think to look at Walmart. Thank You:herb:

1 Like