Grow 4: ILGM Purple Haze greenhouse grow

Greenhouse placement will be on other side of this trellis that will lead into it. We will put the greenhouse back about four or five feet and that area between the doors and trellis will be a great place to put a black fig pot outside the greenhouse but able to roll back in in winter. We put honeysuckle to train over the trellis and I planted marigolds, purple coneflower, and allysum in boxes. Last year we saw only ONE bat and we love spending summer evenings watching the bats fly through our daisy sprinkler we would put out for them. We saw literally no honeybees. So we are planting loads of pollination plants for them. If we can get a handle on that, in a year or two we can get a honeybee hive. But now they would starve I think.

On the docket: order nematodes for cutworms and june bug larva, order those tiny predator wasps for flies, order lacewings, and nematodes for lawn.

2 Likes

First thank your son for his service, we was going to downsize built the house 22 years ago. Don’t need as much space now. Little confused right now quotes and prices.

2 Likes

I understand. We only need a bedroom and bath, and a good kitchen and living combined and really need a great big patio. I spend as much time outside as possible. I hate being inside. I would love a kitchen area that opens out to the patio, with the big sliding wall/doors but I have priced them. And we would have nothing but a wall with big sliding doors!

@Hammy do you grow photos or autos? If photos, how do they do with your lighting and season? Technically I shouldn’t even have these started until June 29th, but well, ya know, been growing on the downlow anyways…that said I am just concerned it is late to get my Premium pack started (Cali Dream, Chr Widow, and Goldleaf). I figured I am safe with the autos and the indicas.

1 Like

My ILGM Premium pack and the GDP auto should arrive any day now. Same as other seeds.

We do photos. We have 12 plants right now. Giving a few to some family members. We start them inside and then move outside. Do some in the garden with the tomatoes. Others in containers and move them when needed. Certain strains do better then others. Still figuring out what works best.

3 Likes

@Weedlover1 @kellydans @Chip303 @CMichGrower @GulfCoastGurilla @plumbdand

Been awhile, but first part of the grow is always slow. These Purple Haze seedlings are some of the prettiest I have had to date. We have been all over the map on trying to decide how to handle this particular grow. Not knowing how a greenhouse will work we decided to go ahead and do all autos in the AutoPot system, and I put PH in 25 gal soft pots in Ocean this morning. Moved them to the tent for now and put them on 20/4 light schedule with the light 33" above and at 25%.

These auto sprouts were put in CowPots this morning with FF Happy Frog, added some Knock Out Gnat granules to all the tops of pots.
6 Blue Amnesia
1 GDP (I have one seedling up, having a hard time getting these to germinate)
3 Blueberry X Big Bud

News from the production front: no licensing opened up as of yet. Greenhouse to arrive possibly next week.

3 Likes

I am sorry, I thought I replied to this. We have been working hard on getting the garden in order, waiting on greenhouse, and replacing 19 afghan pine trees that we are sick of fighting leaf tip moths over. Exhausting but satisfying work! Your plants look amazing!

2 Likes

Good to hear from you , I’m with you plants look awesome. My only experience with small Greenhouse I burned my tomato plants up got too hot forgot an left the door shut. :+1::v:

1 Like

Hey nice to see your girls looking healthy. Yeah spring has been super busy but finally getting the plants to the greenhouse this weekend. Getting to big for our inside setup!:joy:

1 Like

Notice you are using some grow bags. I am going to try a few this year for the first time. Interested to see how things turn out.

1 Like

I love them. I got some small ones I put some herbs and things in on the patio. I always used a 7 gal soft bag in the tent with the AutoPot as I tended to stick extra seedlings in there that made it, too, as I couldn’t bear to cull any. :rofl:. They do great and I think the larger 25 gal size will be better. They do take two bags of Ocean each and can get spendy initially but worth the investment we think on quality and yield. I think you will like them. While I never have reused a bag on a subsequent cannabis grow I am reusing them out in the garden.(I am still working on this arrangement and have to finish potting the papyrus in fountain baskets. The little fig tree is in a repurposed 7 gal one and I can’t believe I grew autos in that size! )

1 Like

@kellydans @Weedlover1 @Hammy @GulfCoastGurilla @plumbdand
Well out of 10 seeds, only 2 GDP has germinated and is up. I have contacted ILGM. I don’t normally ask for a refund on a seed or two, but 10 and a 20% germination rate is not great. Wonder if anyone else is having this issue? I know this is a new strain here.

I need to go get some FF Happy Frog today, I think 6 bags should do 6 of Ocean, as I think I may need to just go ahead and do the photos in the tent. Time has flat run out on me I think. I can try doing a Chronic Widow, a Goldleaf, and a Cali Dream or one of the Persian ones. Each in 25 gal softpot and that takes two bags of FF. Probably use Ocean for the photos in the tent.

I am really, really loving how Purple Haze is looking! Jimmy and Hendrix! And my little psilocybin mushroom experiment is shaping up well. Had a fan issue to resolve, mainly turning the button to the ON position did wonders. :laughing:

4 Likes

Oh yeah Purple Haze nice and healthy ! I’m sure they’ll make your Seeds good. I purchase the Granddaddy Purple on a holiday special 10 get 10 free. I have only germinated one and turned out to be a nice plant. So I’ve got nineteen seeds in the fridge. My setup I can only grow about 4 plants at a time.

2 Likes

Looking good!

2 Likes

I think it will be okay. I actually have 12 plants out of the soil, including the PH, which is our legal limit. I am sort of gun shy on how well the greenhouse will do though, and want to hedge our bets and make sure we get enough so that we never have to make the expensive, exhausting Turn & Burn trip to Colorado for cannabis.

I just know with autos I don’t have much of a margin for error.

2 Likes

You should be able to turn out enough plants for all your needs no problem. The greenhouse I’m sure will be a small learning curve. Just don’t put all your eggs in one basket first shot.

2 Likes

I agree. That is why I decided to go ahead and just do the photos in the tent. Now, I guess I could repot them and just do four in the autopot and four autos in the soft pot in the greenhouse and then 8 of the autos in the other autopot system. Hmm…not sure what I would do at this juncture. I will go smoke one of my Critical Mass and think on this one. :sunglasses:

Edited: thinking put the Purple Haze in the greenhouse, and do four Blue Amnesia autos in the tent, which should be the fastest of the group to finish. Then if the weather or greenhouse is wonky, I can move the Purple Haze back to the tent, once the Blue Amnesia is done. That should about the time the greenhouse grow might be a woolly tricky beast this summer.

I wonder, am I the only one struggling with figuring out weather patterns now? The whole “plant two weeks before last frost” and all that is useless now. It is an extreme wild card for us. We can get highs of only 50s in late June, days of heat, days of cold, then brutal drops. But it is unpredictable now on when that brutal drop will happen. Two years ago we dropped 68 deg overnight to a low of 8 deg in early October and it was the start of killing all 19 pine trees which we just replaced.

3 Likes

We had rain and hail today for a few minutes with some really dark skies since around 4. Last night I had to put a space heater with my plants in my garage. I have it around 80 degrees right now.

2 Likes

Very nice looking plants. Our weather has been messed up also. We finally was able to move the plants to the greenhouse this past weekend. But now this week we are seeing temps push 90. Way to hot in the greenhouse so we moved them outside durning the day so they don’t get burnt up.

FYI: my wife loved the smaller grow bags that you use and is now buying some for her garden.

2 Likes

@plumbdand what is your low temps? I don’t mind if mine get a little low at night after they veg. I put some of my seedlings in the tent last night, and then this morning some more that had first leaves. Light is set on 25%. We had a couple of storms yesterday, and the first one had a lot of pea size hail. Then I got the bright idea to ride my bike between storms, stopped to take a photo of some pretty ponies, and realized behind me the second storm was rolling faster than the weather channel app predicted. So, I was pedaling like the Wicked Witch of the West in Oz on my heavy touring bike, trying to beat the storm home. At least this one didn’t have hail and I had 5 miles to go. Faced wind going out, wind shifted and faced it going in. Had I not stopped to take a photo of those horses I would have been in a hell of a jam not knowing behind it was rolling in fast. But I am wondering if since we are on the eastern side of NM, perhaps we will avoid that mega drought that is hitting down the Rio Grande valley corridor and west. Hoping these rains across panhandle of Texas, KS, OK, etc is recharging the Ogalala aquifer as that is where our well water is from, we are not on any other source.

@Hammy this is the first time I decided to try these grow bags. They are cheap enough and way easier for me to manage than a big pot. I am going to see if I can get herbs to last through the winter with the greenhouse. Lately I am addicted to drinking fresh lemon balm tea from plant, and hoping I can get the new ones to last. I have been watching a couple of YouTubers, Irish women, in Connemara, that are doing amazing things with more tropical plants, lasting through winters, with simple grow tunnels.

Super pleased with Jimi and Hendrix. Gave them first drink of something different, Emerald Harvest Root Wizard and Grow Goddess.

Greenhouse has arrived at the facility and is all intact, and now we are arranging for shipping arrival date. Should know that sometime today or tomorrow.

2 Likes