Grow #1, Girl Scout Cookies Extreme Autos

You mean binder clips its pretty simple tie some twine just under a node that will reach the edge of your pot then clamp it down its just tight enough to keep it there especially after your second tie down I recommend doing it every other node in a circular motion until you hit the flowering stretch. You may want to only stretch it half way for a day for your first pull if your base stem is very stiff so you don’t snap it

1 Like

Thanks BH…when we do this for the first time, we have no measuring stick…and we really shouldn’t diminish what we do based on other’s result. I’m marveling at your first effort for the rig you bought and how you approached your first grow as well!

It’s all trial & error…with a great emotional boost from the guys here on the forum. But if we don’t fail, we don’t learn. When I saw your cup method, that caused me to ask more questions along with taking humidity more seriously because of the comments here.

So here’s what I tried yesterday into today. My humidity levels were around 32-40%, give or take. But I’m sure the cup method raised them considerably, I’m thinking in the 70% zone. So I took a small ultrasonic humidifier I had in the garage and put it next to my tent. I have one of those small white fans sitting on top of one of the openings of the tent, lightly blowing fresh in across the two plants like everyone says to do. I turn on the humidifier, aimed the two vents towards the fan which in turn raised the humidity. I started this at 1pm on Sunday (yesterday) and saw immediate results…the plants seem to love it.

This is day 6 now…

I’m turning the humidifier on and off periodically to the point the relative humidity averages around 60-65%. This pic I took was when I went to turn it back on.

Here’s the setup…

The moist air is blown towards the fan, which sucks it in and blows it into the tent. I figured if it worked…fine…if it didn’t, I’d stop doing it. LOL Yeah, I developed some water droplets on the fan frame, so I turned off the humidifier and they dried up in 10-15 minutes. This is just another way of accomplishing the cup method to a certain extent.

I love the experimenting part of anything…and so far, this one has paid off. But I’m sure I’m breaking some other rule in the growing process…so I’m not going to overdo the humidity thing and will allow them to dry out a little between the cycles.

Good luck to the both of us!

2 Likes

No, they will tend to stretch if under a light that is too far away when grown indoors. A plant outdoors with mother nature’s light would not have that problem.

Good luck with the grow. I will add this the water going into your humidifier can sometimes be hard from the tap. Just wash for deposits or spots on the leaves. Just a friendly “wash for this” advice. I’ve seen it happen a dozen times in here, ppl asking what are these spots. Not a big deal whatsoever but heads up. I hope it grows into a tree mate. GL

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up bro! I figured there would be some consequences of over humidifying…I’m definitely letting them dry out a bit between ‘doses’…lol Plus, no added humidity for the last 3-4 hours of the day (18/^ schedule) so it doesn’t sit in a moist environment in the dark. But this little dose of moist air has them growing a bit quicker…that’s for sure.

Bro you need humidifier that’s awesome… don’t in anyway think I was saying it’s not good and back off…I’m in Florida… lmao I’ll never needed humidifier. LoL

1 Like

I hear ya. Just trying a few things without messing up the grow. Baby steps…

I did a year south of Miami 4 years ago, in Coral Gables…I feel your humidity pain! Had to bail out and move back up North. Couldn’t take it, man.

These are from yesterday.

1 Like

Ok, not a very good picture, just noticed it

2 Likes

What were you thinking jet…maybe 1 week till harvest. LoL so cute when they are little!!

1 Like

yeah, check out the buds, big and frosty, almost ready lol

1 Like

Here’s an update on my little lady.
Day 5 above ground and still moving along.

Today I switched my timer to an 18/6 light schedule for the first time. Up until now my light was on 24/7.
I have the light 25” away at I believe 50%.
I’m excited to see what she’ll do with a little rest today.
I’ve been misting the cup twice a day. I sprayed the soil around the outside of the cup last night a little bit and gave her 2-3 ml of water the day before.
I know it’s only day 5, but how does she look so far?

1 Like

Looks very healthy, man! One thing I’ve learned from all the hours of reading here is…genetics are genetics…each seed is different. As long as the plant is happy & healthy, grow rate will always vary. I’m just like you, growing in a 2x2…but I went with two plants just in case one bit the dust. We’re almost on the same time frame too…both growing autos…I’m growing White Widow. This will be good a good comparison for both of us and all members who are on the fence about starting this new journey.

Thanks for your thread, it’s helping a lot of us!

3 Likes

She looks awesome, I can already see those huge frosty buds!! :star_struck: You have done well

1 Like

I am certainly no expert on lights, I believe @dbrn32 is our resident expert. I start , like you, around 24" and watch the plant. If you see it stretching, as in too lanky and skinny, it means it is reaching out for the light. If so, drop in down to maybe 18" and monitor . She looks very good, watch for the cotyledons turning yellow. It means she will be hungry shortly.

2 Likes

My triplets came on Friday the 9th. So far so good. I did get spray a little heavy on Sunday and
they are wetter than I wanted. So far so good. I dropped the light to 21 inches today. It’s running a little bit warmer in the bed… Ready for tomorrow.

2 Likes

Excellent advice!

1 Like

Ever since I started upping the humidity in the tent to 60-65% with the cool mist humidifier…4 days now…they seem to grow in front of my eyes. Totally bizarre. Did my third watering last night, stopped the humidifier, the light ran for two hours before turning off at midnight, they rested for 6 hours, peeked in there in the morning and they took off again. This is day 9 from breaking soil…WW Auto. Crazy…how are you doing @jetlag?

1 Like

Doing good, not nearly as large as yours though

1 Like

Busy getting a Gorilla Glue Auto ready for jars.

May have dried them a little too long. may have to throw in a leaf in them tomorrow to increase humidity

3 Likes