Groove bags or Mason jars?

I’m old school and have always used Mason jars. Humidity pack 62%, burp twice a day for the 1st week then once a day for the next week etc. My question with the groove bags is will it keep the Humidity correct? Do you need to keep a meter in every bag? I hear people saying once it’s dry, throw in a groove bag and put it away for a month or so. I’ll be honest, I’m totally paranoid that it would dry out too much or lord forbid, I have too much moisture deep in the bud and mold breaks out. Anybody have any good or bad experiences? I know with the Mason jars, if I feel some of the buds seem too moist I lay them out on a tray for 30 min each burp.

2 Likes

Im wanting to know the same thing

1 Like

I havent used them yet but there alot of rave reviews about them from growers I trust here.
When they first came out I looked into them. A company called Grow Science was behind them. Grow Science sells small batch craft cannabis in a local dispo and their weed is pretty good. So I figure the bags work just as well as their weed did.

I use grove bags. My favorite is the velvet touch with design but the most practical is the ones with a window so you can see a temp and humidity gauge. I pair that with boveda 62 packs and it works like a charm. Id say it lives up to the hype and has made me ditch my mason jars. I know some use mason jars to get the humidity steady and then put in grove bags

I’m with you on this one @Autofreak
I use mason jars also. I will rotate my jars vertical to horizontal. I burp, then lay horizontally. Next burp if they are sticking together or when I rotate the jar, they don’t tumble, I will let it air out a little.
Im to nervous to put 3-4 months of work in a bag.

2 Likes

Grove bags for me. I’m not home during the day to burp mason jars and I’ve re-used some of these bags 3 times :love_you_gesture:

6 Likes

Try the bags you won’t be disappointed

6 Likes

i leave the meter in mine so when i do check them i know whats up. like @OGIncognito ive reused mine

1 Like

I’ve never used them, but Ive looked them up. They seem pretty expensive to me.

I have been using Grove Gags a year now and love them. I cannot think of any advantages that the jar has over Grove Bags. They work so well, that I believe the only benefits from putting a meter or moisture pack in the bags. Would just be some peace of mind. I once put up some weed that was dry and crumbly going in, and a month later it came out of the bag perfect.
The bags work so much better in the camper. Was afraid that they would not contain the smell, but even in the small area of the camper I only smelled it when a bag was opened.
The bags take up less room even when full, and about 100x less room when empty.
These days I only use the bags. If I run out of bags I still use jars, but without the moisture packs.

2 Likes

For those of you that are using jars. Here is a good quick way to burp your jars. When I do it this way you can really smell the air from the jar as it is being forced out by the fresh air. You can burp your jars and close them back up in a couple minutes.
I use a little air pump and fish the end of the little hose to the bottom of the jar. Turn on the pump for a couple minutes. I also cup my hand over the jar lid so that the air builds a little pressure in the jar, and then remove my hand suddenly a few times. This helps insure that the fresh air moves throughout the inside on the jar.
This is much cheaper than buying those expensive burping type jars lids.

3 Likes

I have used both, side by side and saw zero benefit of jars over grove bags, and imo bags are better in every way.

2 Likes

Orange hygrometers - GDP bagged June 2022. Stored in 5 gallon gamma sealed bucket with two 62 gram Boost humidity packs in the bucket.

I

Black hygrometers - Purple Haze bagged December 2021. I have three 1/4# bags in a large turkey roasting bag. It did not have humidity packs in the grove bags or the turkey bag. Until now. I will put two Boost packs in the turkey bag and seal it up. Truth be told I think the Purple Haze was on the drier side before going into the grove bags.

1/2 gallon mason jar - Purple Haze from December 2021

I have three other 1/2 gallon jars which read 58%, 59% and none (need to replace batteries).

If I had to say I believe jars will hold humidity better over the long term unless grove bags are heat sealed. I have not heat sealed any of the grove bags yet. How about anyone else?

3 Likes

Mine typically does not stay on the shelf for more than 6 - 10 months, so I haven’t had much experience with long term storage.
I have started sealing the tops of the bags with the wife’s flat iron for hair. I am sure this is a tighter seal, but I mainly do this so it is easy too tell which bag that I have already opened.
I guess that, I have been doing this so long that I just go by the way the buds feel and break up. Tried the wood type moisture meter and to me it just wasn’t worth the effort. Just dry it until it feels right and passes the snap test. Then trim it and stuff it in a bag.
When I was using the jars with the moisture packs, I much preferred the 58% ones over the 62%. I would rather it be a bit on the dry side than damp.

3 Likes

You and my wife. The Js draw a bit easier and stays lit better.

2 Likes

It is amazing how much different that 4% makes.
I hate it when I get it from someone else and it is so damp that you can’t break it up or keep it burning. Guess it weighs more that way.

1 Like

I did most of my first harvest in Grove bags but threw some from each plant in mason jars for comparison and the Grove bags hands down win. Not only do I not have to mess with them they smell 10x better than the same ones in the mason jars.

Everything you want to know about Grove Bags is talked about in this thread.

1 Like

Well, I think I’ll give them a try. Getting ready to start another auto run. Got some Gorilla Cookies, Vanilla Frosting, and Gelato. Fingers crossed on a good grow. Thanks for all the input.

2 Likes