Hello everyone, and welcome to my first ever grow, and first ever grow journal! I’m new to the forum and excited to get started. I have every intention of being as detailed as I can, not only for myself but for all those who read this in the future. I’ve learned so much reading this forum and I only hope I can give something back, even if only by asking questions and letting the more experienced members answer them.
The status of my grow is 0% complete and 100% excitement. I ordered seeds that I expected Wednesday and I don’t have them despite the tracking saying “out for delivery” both Thursday AND Friday…not sure how that works but oh well…I digress.
I have 5 LSD and 5 Wedding Cake seeds on the way from Dr.Seeds, since ILGM doesn’t ship to Canada. The LSD seeds were bundled with kelp extract so I have that coming as well. Monday better be the day!
Since I haven’t started yet, but I will be soon, I just want to get my process out there and get some input and just in general start a conversation. I still have questions so they’ll be sprinkled in with the steps I’ve got planned. Here we go.
What I’ve bought:
- 1x ProMix Vegetable and Herb - 85L
- 3x Perlite - 9L
- 4x ~30L Plastic Pots
- pH/TDS pens & Root Farm pH test kit
- 24hr soak in distilled water, then to paper towels to grow the taproots.
- Move to red solo cups with lots of holes for drainage. These will be domed/misted until they outgrow the domes.
- Distilled water only for the first week?
- The soil mixture I’m doing will be the whole 85L of ProMix plus all 27L of perlite. This gives me ~24% minimum perlite, plus whatever the pro mix has in it.
- Should I use the perlite mix for the seedlings or just regular ProMix? I’m guessing the perlite mix for drainage/less nutes?
- I’ll be mostly relying on the sun but I plan to have a couple CFLs to help me with overall light levels plus extending the light part of the day to ~18 hours in the early stages.
- Could this cause issues if they’ll be in less than that amount of sun outside?
- Once I have decent roots they’ll be transplanted into the large pots (with lots of drainage holes) where they’ll stay outside as much as possible but I will move them in/cover them up if necessary. I anticipate them being inside for a little while after they’re in the pots thanks to completely unpredictable weather (15C a couple weeks ago, last 4 days we had snow)
- I don’t have any plans for veg nutes at the moment. The ProMix has “feed for 3 months” which I’m banking on running out around flower. I will have a pretty long veg cycle and I think they’ll have more than enough time to grow big and strong and use up all that nitrogen.
- Any issues with time release soil other than nitrogen being left over in flower? That’s the main issue I’ve seen.
- I do plan on using some flowering nutrients. This is one piece of the puzzle I don’t have figured out yet and would like some suggestions on.
- If I were to only get one bud booster, what should it be? I’m hoping to have big plants with a naturally big yield, so maybe more potent/tasty buds is what I’m aiming for with flower nutes…thoughts?
- After harvest I’m thinking I’ll need to dry in my garage. I don’t really have a good room in my house, and I know neither me nor my fiancé really want the whole house smelling like weed. I’ll have to see what the humidity will be like around that time because I don’t want them drying too fast/slow. This is yet to be determined.
- Top or FIM?
- Is there a preference from the outdoor growers on here? My gut says topping 3ish times would be a good plan. I’ve also read not to do either.
- Is this necessary at all on outdoor plants? Any preferred methods for outdoor?
- Should this be avoided on outdoor plants? Maybe just low/inside leaves later on? Also read bottom ⅓ every month-ish
- I know it’s natural but I’ve read to avoid it if possible because it can cause mold and also get into recent wounds and cause infections (e.g. after topping)
- Anybody cover up their outdoor plants from rain?
Sorry for the wall of text and all the questions…! I have more specific plans but I’ll talk/ask about them as this moves along. I also have water info and some ”scientific” data that I’ll be putting in a separate thread but linking here shortly.
Thanks for reading and hopefully following along. Looking forward to the journey.
I know there’s lots of regulars out there that I didn’t tag, hope you can come along for the ride.