Griff’s First Outdoor Grow Journal

Hello everyone, and welcome to my first ever grow, and first ever grow journal! I’m new to the forum and excited to get started. I have every intention of being as detailed as I can, not only for myself but for all those who read this in the future. I’ve learned so much reading this forum and I only hope I can give something back, even if only by asking questions and letting the more experienced members answer them.

The status of my grow is 0% complete and 100% excitement. I ordered seeds that I expected Wednesday and I don’t have them despite the tracking saying “out for delivery” both Thursday AND Friday…not sure how that works but oh well…I digress.

I have 5 LSD and 5 Wedding Cake seeds on the way from Dr.Seeds, since ILGM doesn’t ship to Canada. The LSD seeds were bundled with kelp extract so I have that coming as well. Monday better be the day!

Since I haven’t started yet, but I will be soon, I just want to get my process out there and get some input and just in general start a conversation. I still have questions so they’ll be sprinkled in with the steps I’ve got planned. Here we go.

What I’ve bought:

• 1x ProMix Vegetable and Herb - 85L
  • 3x Perlite - 9L
  • 4x ~30L Plastic Pots
  • pH/TDS pens & Root Farm pH test kit

Plan

• 24hr soak in distilled water, then to paper towels to grow the taproots.
  • Move to red solo cups with lots of holes for drainage. These will be domed/misted until they outgrow the domes.
    • Distilled water only for the first week?
  • The soil mixture I’m doing will be the whole 85L of ProMix plus all 27L of perlite. This gives me ~24% minimum perlite, plus whatever the pro mix has in it.
    • Should I use the perlite mix for the seedlings or just regular ProMix? I’m guessing the perlite mix for drainage/less nutes?
  • I’ll be mostly relying on the sun but I plan to have a couple CFLs to help me with overall light levels plus extending the light part of the day to ~18 hours in the early stages.
    • Could this cause issues if they’ll be in less than that amount of sun outside?
  • Once I have decent roots they’ll be transplanted into the large pots (with lots of drainage holes) where they’ll stay outside as much as possible but I will move them in/cover them up if necessary. I anticipate them being inside for a little while after they’re in the pots thanks to completely unpredictable weather (15C a couple weeks ago, last 4 days we had snow)
  • I don’t have any plans for veg nutes at the moment. The ProMix has “feed for 3 months” which I’m banking on running out around flower. I will have a pretty long veg cycle and I think they’ll have more than enough time to grow big and strong and use up all that nitrogen.
    • Any issues with time release soil other than nitrogen being left over in flower? That’s the main issue I’ve seen.
  • I do plan on using some flowering nutrients. This is one piece of the puzzle I don’t have figured out yet and would like some suggestions on.
    • If I were to only get one bud booster, what should it be? I’m hoping to have big plants with a naturally big yield, so maybe more potent/tasty buds is what I’m aiming for with flower nutes…thoughts?
  • After harvest I’m thinking I’ll need to dry in my garage. I don’t really have a good room in my house, and I know neither me nor my fiancé really want the whole house smelling like weed. I’ll have to see what the humidity will be like around that time because I don’t want them drying too fast/slow. This is yet to be determined.
  • Top or FIM?
    • Is there a preference from the outdoor growers on here? My gut says topping 3ish times would be a good plan. I’ve also read not to do either.
  • LST
    • Is this necessary at all on outdoor plants? Any preferred methods for outdoor?
  • Defoliation
    • Should this be avoided on outdoor plants? Maybe just low/inside leaves later on? Also read bottom ⅓ every month-ish
  • Rain
    • I know it’s natural but I’ve read to avoid it if possible because it can cause mold and also get into recent wounds and cause infections (e.g. after topping)
    • Anybody cover up their outdoor plants from rain?

Sorry for the wall of text and all the questions…! I have more specific plans but I’ll talk/ask about them as this moves along. I also have water info and some ”scientific” data that I’ll be putting in a separate thread but linking here shortly.

Thanks for reading and hopefully following along. Looking forward to the journey.

@Skydiver @jjs @Otis @Raysvols69 @Interlu

I know there’s lots of regulars out there that I didn’t tag, hope you can come along for the ride.

Cheers,
Griff :v:

11 Likes

Info on my water and pH, and using vinegar as pH down.

Set to watch. :+1:

1 Like

@Griff very nice detailed grow plan

1 Like

@Griff how many cfl lights you have?

1 Like

@id like to tag along in journal to if that’s ok welcome to Ilovegrowingmarajuanadorum

1 Like

@kcj absolutely tag along, the more the merrier.

I have 3 23W cfl bulbs laying around but they’re really only for a boost on top of the sunlight, I don’t intend to go too crazy with a setup for them. Honestly I considered not using any lights but I read about those and thought why not.

1 Like

Glad to have you here!

1 Like

I’m in illegal state, so no outdoor growing for me. Interested in seeing how you do outdoors.

3 Likes

@Oldguy you come recommended for northern outdoor grow advice, hopefully it’s okay to tag you here.

Also I think your in N.S. and just want to say you guys are in our thoughts. Such a senseless act of violence that keeps on getting worse…hope you’re all clear and safe.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s rough. Hopefully you guys are all legal in the coming years! I’m pretty curious too, there’s a hell of a lot more indoor than outdoor on here so I’m looking forward to adding some diversity :+1:

2 Likes

@Griff. Thanks. No probs on the tag brother. :wink:
More than willing to help if I can.
Ya. That incident is up to 16 or 17 dead already. And they’re still looking at a few more properties.
Could go higher yet.
Not good.
I’ve got you set to watching and following along. :wink::+1::v:

2 Likes

:broken_heart::slightly_frowning_face: Heartbreaking news from up North @Oldguy …just hate to hear when something so senseless affects so many people ! :pray:t2: and loving vibes out to my neighbors to the North and all those families involved in that travesty…:v:

2 Likes

Thanks brother. Appreciated. :+1::v:

1 Like

@Griff , you got a good plan in front of you ! Sounds well thought out .
I’d put a bet on your success . Really I don’t qualify to give out much advice , this first grow for me was like kicking a can out front of myself, learning experience for sure ! Looks like you’re hooked up with some good folks here already. Looking forward to watching your new adventures in growing. Best of luck Brother :v:

2 Likes

Appreciate the confidence @jjs, I hope your right!
And as long as you’ve done it once then I’m sure you’ve made mistakes that I might make! That’s some of the best advice.

Hoping for the best with all these fine folks tagging along :v:

2 Likes

@jjs you growing purple haze?

1 Like

Yes , almost at the finish line @kcj .

1 Like

I’ll be watching, I’ve been growing out doors for awhile now so I’ll be poking my name here and there.

Cheers on you first grow and welcome to the forum!

2 Likes

Don’t forget to rinse your perlite first before adding / mixing with your base soil. Removes the small dust particles so it doesn’t create a barrier layer at bottom after watering awhile those dust particles will migrate to the bottom of pot. I just read this info posted by @Budbrother and learned something new. Also it was suggested by @LoCoRock to poke some small holes at bottom and lower sides of bag of perlite and run hose from top to flush it.

2 Likes