GreenThunder dips into hydro

Hey neighbor. Didnt realize you were over here too. Wasnt sure it was you at first. Try a small frozen water bottle for res temp control. And flying skull z7. Cant hydro without it!

1 Like

I have hydroguard… is that similar?

Welcome to ILGM! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I have a link I’ll send you @GreenThunder - @TheMadDabber thanks for the product rec - that stuff looks super interesting.

1 Like

Gave her cool water last night and checked her roots… not perfect but not terrible (I think?)

Still so sad up top, though she has one leaf reaching for the light (progress?)

2 Likes

GT what’s your RH, temp, and current intake and exhaust flow rate? How often are you exchanging the air?

1 Like

Rh is 46% with lights out and temp is 78. When lights are on temps are 10° warmer but I don’t remember what the rh is… I’ll check that tonight.

This space is a 2x4 closet without doors… there’s a fan inside but no intake or exhaust… The closet is not enclosed but has a curtain in place of doors. Maybe a bit more air circulation? I don’t know about adding intake/exhaust since it’s not enclosed

Can you get the humidity up to around 60%? I think it would help your plant out a lot. I don’t think it’s so much air circulation as VPD, and at 78F, that RH is way too low. At least in the dark you’d hope for 60% in veg so she could breathe a few hours a day… maybe consider a cool mist style humidifier for inside the space - this worked for me when I had the exact same problem in the winter.

I suppose since the space isn’t really enclosed maybe that won’t work… humidifier for the room adjacent to the closet?

1 Like

I’ll have to think about how to do this… part of the challenge is that the followering tent is in the same room so need to keep it low enough for flowering. A dome would help during lights out, maybe?

1 Like

A dome would help, yes… but I would try to get the RH in the entire space up first if you can. It’s a challenge with two spaces that share air… I have a similar situation with my two 4x4 tents. My tents are about 5 feet apart from one another. I have a whole house console style dehumidifer and humidifier that I next to the intake ducting for the flower tent… that then exhausts beween the two tents, and the veg tent intakes from the opposite side… I tried to get it as far away from the humidifer as possible.

For whatever reason I usually see about 10% more humidity in the veg tent. In the winter I humidify the whole basement to 50% and then use stuff inside the tents to get it adjusted from there.

1 Like

If the rdwc doesn’t help then I’ll pick up a cool mist humidifier. I’m making a top feeder ring… should I drill holes or cut slits?

Gathered my materials to get started and my drill battery was low :unamused:

PVC cutter = awesome and amazing!!

1 Like

Also, is my pump too big for 2 buckets using 3/4 inch tubing? Would 1 inch be better?

2 Likes

Have to bring in @TDubWilly on the top feed thing - I haven’t ever tried one. On the pump… there’s a math equation to figure out the flow rate… I suck at math (history degree), so I tried a bunch of different pumps on the two systems I had running (different sizes and purposes)… Tdub can probably help more on the pump size too. :smiley:

2 Likes

He’s been helping me on the other side (as I fumble through measuring and such) Turns out I need either new uniseals or pvc. And another saw. And buckets (mine are 75 mil not 90) I don’t know if I can get any of that locally (except the saw) so now I’m considering a single unit rdwc, in a 12 gallon tote.

I haven’t cut holes yet but this is my idea…

But first, cool mist humidifier and dim the qb

2 Likes

Ok. So that pump is too powerful for my idea. Instead I’m going to use this air pump and see how that goes

I’m also going to switch to sensi for nutes.

2 Likes

I got the power airpump hooked up with 4 lines in the tote and 2 in the bucket. It looked really good until a couple hours later… NO AIR FLOW!!! So the hobby unit got hooked back up with one line each. I think the commercial unit got too hot. I’ll try a different placement with a fan (if it still functions, otherwise I’ll exchange it)

I dimmed the light and added a humidifier to the closet and she looks a bit better this morning

1 Like

I got a new toy… I mean tool in the mail today!!

This will make res changes much easier!

3 Likes

The big air pump has been going strong ever since I gave it a proper setup

Four air lines (3 with stones) has dropped the temp to 75° but even with the hydroguard and clear rez she’s shown no improvement. I also gave her a peroxide spa bath last night.

Her roots are not white though not quite as dark as they appear in the pic

I’m pretty sure the problems began with putting her in the bucket too soon, she barely had a tap root. Combined with that, the net pot is too big so she was starved as soon as she grew her first root. From there, the high water temp did her no favors. I think it’s close to calling this one a fail and put her out of her misery.

1 Like

This gal has given me back some of what I’ve lost with the sad seedling.

I let the clone stretch her roots for a week after they first appeared before I put her into a 5 gallon bucket in an 8 inch netpot. That was a week ago (no pic, darnit) and here she is today…

She’s 25 days old and was cut from a plant that was 15 days into 12/12 (it was a late decision)

3 Likes

Her roots look great. I’ll be curious to see how her new growth comes in.

The seedling will not look improved. Those leaves will remain curled under like that and crinkly looking. What we’re after is new growth and how it will look.

Get that humidity as high as you can!

I noticed one of my plants was starting to have a similar issue - very early stages on a young plant in it’s first week in veg - I bumped up the humidity 10% and it corrected (my RH was 55% ,now it’s 65%) - I have high temps though. I run my temps with lights on at mid 80s at the canopy.

3 Likes

Here is something that can potentially help if you want to save it for reference:

vapor_pressure_deficit_relative_humidity_chart_small

You’ll see there, for example, that if you are running your canopy temps at 79F, the ideal relative humidity is 70-75%.

3 Likes