Greenhouse soil all organic

That soil looks quite rocky? Or am I seeing things?Oh and as for tge coffee grounds, its good to use especially for tomatoes! You apply it on top of the ground like a mulch but spread it around thin. It can be considered green manure, and like any green non composted manure it should not be mixed into the soil just layered ontop. Feel free to use cut grass the same way as long as no weed killer or other crap is in it!

2 Likes

I’m really digging the green houses. You both have some sweet setups. I’m in the process of getting my own started, although this year it might be alittle bit of a crude design as I’m trying to use supplies that I already have. @Shyguy420 mind if I tag along and share thoughts/ideas(didn’t want to hijack your thread )?

@GenghisRon Thanks bro. Feel free to post here man

1 Like

@Cannabian my soil is a bit rocky. It has small and large perlite in it. I will look into the Ruth Stout method and thanks again for the ideas! I have also heard legumes are great for fixating nitrogen but the green manure with grass is a great idea.

1 Like

Oh there is much for both of us to learn grasshopper! Start a composter, gather birch or poplar leaves, cow manure, freshly cut grass, egg shells etc. Keep layering all these things and every year you can mulch with it. I dont till, so all my new ammendments go on top.

2 Likes

Its entirely possible to grow from start to finish in soil without fertilizer, but may not be as bountiful. Also, that depends on how long you need to veg? But if you manage a good crop let us know! Better yet, start a grow journal and let us follow!

To start with, greenhouses can get very hot! And need ventilation. The growers in Cali uncover them until fall because of the heat. Much past 90 degrees and plants shut down. However, good quality coverings is a must, dont use poly for houses! Go to Northern Greenhouse Supply and start looking at what they sell for coverings. Surprisingly, the price of good woven poly is not much more than commercial greenhouse poly! The commercial greenhouse poly can be had cheap because they replace it after 2 or 3 years, you might get another 2 or 3 out of it before it rots! Tge stuff I use is guaranteed for 5 I think? But most people in harsh climates are gettin 10 or more years out of it. And its hail proof. Super tough stuff! Have fun with your project.

4 Likes

@Cannabian I’ll look into Northern Greenhouse Supply thank you. I got my greenhouse from FarmTek. And yes they do get very hot! My covering is the one that came with the structure and I’ve been using it for 3 years and have never taken it off lol hail snow and sun and wind have done little damage to it so far. I’ll check into that though and I really want to get a baby up high. Here’s some more pics of my grow and my compost pile made up of horse manure and grass clippings/roots. Thanks!

3 Likes

Very nice! That cover looks very similar is it woven?

No it’s plastic pretty sure. What are the advantages to woven covers?

1 Like

Well Im sure that covering you have is quite bomber! Woven poly is called cat proof. If a nail hole is stabbed in it it wont rip! Opague poly that is UV treated will last a long time. Opague poly is light diffusing so it spreads light more evenly around the room than clear. Other than these things your cover looks great! If you ever need to replace it I would strongly consider this poly.
Ok the sun just came out Ill take a picture

now for the inside… ,
Thermometer with the bottom flap closed shows 78 f. Thats 78 American ! :laughing:
The light quality is stellar nice in there!

3 Likes

Looks amazing dude! Thanks for sharing. Interested about opaque covers now

1 Like

@Cannabian Is your greenhouse entirely constructed of lumber? It looks like a dream man. Did you buy the kit from Northern Greenhouse ?

1 Like

Soory @Shyguy420 Was looking at the plants till I saw the two vehicles in the picture . What is the blue one ?

@Kan72 66 Chevy Impala

1 Like

No I milled the western red cedar, the plywood is just cheap assed 3/8" sheeting and I designed it myself. I wanted a door in the middle of the back wall so as not to waste tall end wall space. I also, wanted big sliding vent holes at the top and a 2 foot high opening all the way along the bottom. Every greenhouse Ive ever been in is stifling hot and plants cant stand themselves during a hot summer. With the huge upper vent holes it acts like a chimney especially with the 2 foot lower open. That heat actually creates a breeze being sucked out the top! Warm but tolerable.

2 Likes

Ibdid buy the poly from them, service was fast and I got what I paid for. Very happy. They do custom welds for bigger greenhouses too. Mine only needed 1 weld.

2 Likes

Looks awesome man

1 Like

Well I just started a worm farm. I hope I can keep them alive and happy

3 Likes

Lol. I’ve had mine a week and they seem to be doing fine. If I can do it, anyone can lol

1 Like