Greenhouse build on the cheap

very nice, clean job :jack_o_lantern: :+1:

1 Like

First of all if you plan to use a poly cover, go to Northern greenhouse supply and at least check out their products. The poly they sell is woven diffuse and it lasts for many years, it doesnt rot like classic house poly or even the cheap assed greenhouse poly. You can reef on it, nail it with battons, throw rocks at it, hail, toss a cat at it. The stuff is durable. The best part is the light quality is the reason you want it. As for greenhouse design it kinda matters how big your typical plant grows. They do tend to get larger in greenhouses.
I designed mine with a tall back wall at 12 feet… seems about the minimum height Id recommend. I used western red cedar for the framimg because it is resistant to rot, redwood would do well too, as would pressure treated lumber. I set the framing on raised gravel to keep it off the dirt.

20 Likes

I like the design only my HOA has a say as to size I can do. I am building with window on 3 sides and going to AC and heat, water will be plumbed into a sink for hydro. North face will be sided in cedar. I’m going to have a south face roof so I will get East/West sun gable high. I have also been toying with the idea of adding solar system. Just thoughts now. :sunglasses: :+1: This way all is hidden from neighbors.

5 Likes

@Cannabian NICE job I like it! :+1:
I may need to do a smaller version to keep the Caters out?..
Does that cover keep rain out too?

1 Like

Oh for sure it keeps rain out.

Thats good news…I’m more interested in keeping out the caters…But like now I sometimes go into the later months October,November on my second batch and we get occasional rain in those months so…Thanks for the info!

I’m a old carpenter, I know this is not the proper series to build, sometimes you have to go with what ya got. Neighbor that I got the windows from replaced 2 sections of his fence and a gate. I cut up the pickets and am using them for siding.

11 Likes

OK back on the build, another neighbor replacing sections of his fence, 44’ weathered cedar pickets, should be enough to do the siding inside and out. Free wood love it. :sunglasses: :+1:

12 Likes

All the pickets where screwed to the rails, lot of work to get to the pickets but the good thing is no picket was harmed in this build and I got a bucket full of screws.

5 Likes

That looks cool. We have used so much salvaged wood to build things. Great job. Can’t wait to see it finished

4 Likes

Been spending the last couple of days unscrewing pickets, then the fun begins. :triangular_ruler: :hammer:

5 Likes

Broke down and bought some lumber, now the greenhouse has 4 walls (almost)

2nd pic is the back wall, I put it on 16" centers because the other walls are windows!
I thought it might need one wall with support.

9 Likes

That is going to be the coolest greenhouse ever!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::v:

2 Likes

Looking good👌

1 Like

I know it doesn’t look like much but this is a couple of hours of work, front door and walls have to be plumb, straight and level. It all stems from the foundation. :+1:

11 Likes

I think it look great!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

It’s coming along looking good

3 Likes

Why don’t you want windows on all 4 walls

@plumbdand Siding is on the North side and I get some killer cold comes thru., I needed to frame in for the AC, roof support, thats the side my workbench is going on, not sure how the neighbors would react and main reason is I only had enough windows for 3 sides, these were free and windows ain’t cheap :sunglasses:

3 Likes

With the price of lumber, plywood, shingles, plexiglass, tar paper, not coming down I have toying with the idea of greenhouse cloth for the roof and sides. I can get a roll 16’x50’ for $150

3 Likes