Greenhouse build on the cheap

@72Rover whats the difference between the geothermal system and a passive system. What I planned on doing is digging a 2’ deep trench{which is below our freeze line), but I can’t go any deeper because I hit bedrock. If I run 50-100’ and circulate it with a pump and run into a rad. that draws cool air, which should be between 55-60, via a 12v fan. Do I have my systems confused? GH is only 12’x12’ nothing going under the floor. Good point on the WWF I know its only water and alcohol but adding the soap is a good touch. If worse comes to worse I can pull power from my shop. Thanks for the suggestions. I do like the idea of a trans cooler, smaller and AL. :sunglasses: :+1: :beers:

1 Like

An ‘active’ system uses some mechanism to move heat - or cool - from one place to another. Passive systems don’t use anything other than natural convection: sun shines on barrels of water - or big pots full of soil - and the heat is released at night. Flooring that can act as a heat reservoir is the easiest and cheapest option when starting :from scratch. Not so much for a retrofit… What thermal mass does best is to even out the swings in temps between highs and lows.

2 Likes

@72Rover got it I think I’m going to try my hand at a little of both. One thing I have done is to use my condensation run off for my tomato raised bed. Trying to teach this old dog new tricks. :v: :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

I think I’m going to try this only I’m not in Canada so I shouldn’t have to go down as deep. Its something I can add later.

2 Likes

My $150 greenhouse build. 10×10 pop up tent, uv resistant greenhouse material for roof , Zippered Mesh Sidewalls to dissipate heat and allow sun in…

5 Likes

Till it under

1 Like

Tilled? The ground? Na there in 5 gal pots my ground soil is DEAD lol that damn desert soil. :desert:

1 Like

@P_Dawg I waited till Christmas time and went to Lowes and picked up some HD 20gl. totes, I can drill some holes in the bottom for drainage and set them on the lids. I plan on a drip system with rain water. This way I can put them on shelves and grow some killer veggies. Girls on one side and veggies to hide them. :sunglasses: :+1:

3 Likes

Been eyeball’n this for a couple of months now, my best guess is it’s a water container masons used for mixing mortar. It was thrown in the scrap pile. My plans are to bury it 3-4 feet deep fill with water and let the ground cool it. Then run 50’ 3/4" black irrigation tubing with water and alcohol mix through a circulation pump, in and out of a transmission cooler with a fan pulling air through the cooler. all tucked in a salvaged kitchen cabinet. Hopefully we’ll strike AC. :sunglasses: :+1: Clean, green and I have everything but the Trans Cooler and a couple of fittings. Container is upside down and fills the bed of my Ranger

5 Likes

gonna do this.

:sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

Cut the tails from the rafters, its starting to look like a building and not a shed.

Second pic is a little hard to see but I nailed some supports for my clear corrugated panels. Inside is going to be ground cover poly held up with screen frame.

6 Likes

First of all, Canada isnt a whole lot colder than much of the US interior and areas around the great lakes. The big issue is the amount of daylight we get. This may be a factor for many of you even south of the border. Here, I live in a mountainous area with a large body of water. The winter brings with it much shorter days combined with lake generated cloud cover. It can be socked in here for weeks. Even though I have a greenhouse, I dont have enough natural light to make running it worth while. I would have to severely augment both light and heat to grow anything. What I do get is an extended growing season, a few weeks more on both ends, spring and fall.
That being said, cannabis does not generally like being planted in the greenhouse until mid May or it may start flowering due to the long nights. On the other end of the year, I can keep frost and snow off for plants that need that extra couple of weeks to finish.

1 Like

8 Likes

@Cannabian I get it sometimes its just what kind of year it is. I’m in a zone 7, most of my days are long 13hrs. of daylight. Its a South face Greenhouse with the west light blocked by the house which is fine because thats when we get the killer heat. Its just now starting to get dark around 7:00/7:30. It seems that about every 20+/- years we have some killer heat. This year we had 18 days over 100F thats the 3rd most since records. Different strains like different light, kinda what makes growing fun. Stay tuned I have some plans to get some cheap AC and water, it should be cool. I like your design, I have a Bud that lives close to the Gulf that I think he would really like what you’ve done. Mine is the best I can do with what I have been dealt. Nosy neighbors who can’t mind their own business and other side that I don’t trust any farther than I can throw them. Climate control is the key here we get a lot of humid days and winters are normally mild. I notice you have a live edge on your raised bed, here that would attract pests so we peal it off. :beers: cheers Cat1.

2 Likes

This is why the greenhouse slowed down.
1- I’m 65
2- No help
3- 18 days over 100 with 70% humidity
4-6 weeks
5-serious heat exhaustion and beginings of heat stroke
6- when not hot it was raining
They say your as old as you feel, I feel old.

12’x24’ railings all custom made. Next project is big commercial roof, but I have 3/4 helpers.

8 Likes

Beautiful deck!! :blush::v::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Nice work :100: she’s a beauty :v:

2 Likes

@Flitme @JJ520 I so wanted to be working on the greenhouse but bills dictate what I do. :unamused:

4 Likes

bills dictate what I do.

I can relate to that. :blush::v:

2 Likes

I hear that