Granny's Closet

Leafly did this whole article about sweet and sugary strains and one that caught our attention was Ice Cream Cake. They wrote, “has such a distinct cake-icing-like flavor that the smoke damn near tastes like it has sugar crystals.”

So, a trip to Trinidad a few months ago we actually ran across this strain and it was not just top shelf but the overpriced “connaisseur” at about $260 for 28 grams. We forked over $$$ for 14 grams. Yay! Excited to try it!

Did it live up the hype? Nope nope nope. The smell is odd and both taste and smell remind me of Granny’s closet. Kinda like moth balls.

Things we learn. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

That is almost as bad as a 2000 mile high school road trip in 1971 to Fort Collins CO to see a buddy and buy weed from college students. Buddy was doing great and the gold wasn’t from Acapulco.

3 Likes

All time worst tasting bud has to be years ago from girls who kept there smoke in a purse that just soaked up perfume. Anyone worried about chemicals have never smoked perfume bud, won’t kill you but the taste was horrible , but who is gonna say something to the hot girl.

2 Likes

Great stories! I do have a funny story from our last Trini Turn & Burn (a one day 4 hours there and back trip for us that we hope to not have to do now that we are growing our own): Things are different buying in rec/med stores due to the virus. You order online and pick up your order in the foyer. All packaged up. No more sniff and look at herb. We decided to try Lamb’s Breath due to reviews and hey, Bob Marley fav has go to be good, right? We get home and open it up and sniff the huge buds and both of us go “this smells like shit!” Like literal shit. Then we figured out it was more like cigar smoker who just had coffee breath. Decided to go ahead and try it, let me tell you that strain is one of the nicest sativas we have ever had. We use a PAX to get as much terpene profile as we can. It smoked with a slight earthy and rosemary hint. Super smooth. But had we got to smell it before hand it would have been a no go. I figured out what we might be picking up is a cheese type smell. :laughing:

2 Likes

Yeah smell can discourage for sure I have looked at purple cow organics soil, but they say the smell is just ridiculous.

1 Like

I can literally understand that. We live in a area with massive dairies and feedlots and that smell can just permeate here some days that you don’t even want to go outside. Would not want it inside.

2 Likes

I once had a clone mother I called Puppy Diarrhea because that’s what her buds smelled like after harvest and cure. She started life as a Barney Farms Sweet Tooth, grew huge stinky buds, was great stuff.

3 Likes

Yeah I pictured watering and not sure if vomit would count as nutrients.

2 Likes

:- :face_vomiting: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Have you tried Booger? It is so unfortunately named but has a fruity scent and makes me feel like a million bucks. I smile nonstop when we use Booger. Lately we have been topping with Bob Ross kief and call it a Booger Bob. It makes ya want to paint happy little trees everywhere. I would love to find Bob Ross seeds but haven’t seen them anywhere.

1 Like

BTW, not impressed with the effects of Ice Cream Cake. That is a strain we won’t buy again.

1 Like

No, have not tried Booger, sounds very interesting.

1 Like

ya gotta love the dairy state

1 Like

i grew ice cream cake on my last grow. i got the seeds from dispensary weed. it was super picky and hard to grow. every one that smoked it said it barked? i take that as ,my lack of experience curing. the other comments were it had the gas?.

1 Like

I just don’t think it lived up the hype.

1 Like

the name was more exciting than the weed. no way would i ever do it again

1 Like

Right there with ya on this one. And we paid way too much for it.

1 Like