Grand🐇 Jane Grows

You can get a grow spectrum bulb for pretty much ANY fluorescent fixture. We used to have a bunch of those $5 assemble yourself 4 footers with bulbs that cost twice as much as the fixture on the house plants in winter. Worked just fine!!

1 Like

I did wrap the outside of the dome with aluminum foil for more reflection when I noticed they kept stretching.

Here is the T5 spectrum.
T5 Spectrum

1 Like

Most reptile t5 bulbs are UVB but only produces small amounts of uvb upwards of 12% i believe they would make for good use towards end of flower imo idk for seedlings tho

1 Like

I thought that the UVB T5s were reptile specific, while a standard T5 could be used for both plants and reptiles. I may be wrong. I have been before. :wink:

2 Likes

@Newt I have a Tangie OG clone with a root popping through the bottom! I am so excited! Happy dance time.

5 Likes

dancing

5 Likes

Correct they are reptile specific due to not all reptiles need the same uvb a regular t5 florescent would be fine for seedlings but majority of all reptile t5 or t8 produce 10%uvb and 30% uva

2 Likes

Happy for ya I told ya cloning was easy haha what method did you use?

2 Likes

Cut 45 degrees, scrape, clonex, cutoff lower fans, trim the rest, place in root riot cube and into the seedling tray/dome with T5 light.

The Tangie OG seems to be hardy and easy to grow.

5 Likes

Good method :clap: well done how many days did it take for ya?

2 Likes

January 13th! The other three Tangies a day later.

3 Likes

Question from The man in the back. Ok when can I cut a fan leave to clone? I am checking to be make sure to try?

2 Likes

Spot on instructions, I would just add that you want to mist them a couple of times a day and keep the humidity around 85 once they go in the dome. Clones have no roots so they need to get h2o from the leaves until the roots form. Because they have no roots you can also keep the T5 on 24 hours. This process has given me an 99% success rate. I usually see roots coming out in 6-10 days. :call_me_hand:

4 Likes

You don’t want just the fan leaf. If you top your plants, that top is a prime clone. Many also clone the lower growth that they will end up removing once it gets to flower anyway. I top at the fifth node usually and I use the same process as @JaneQP at that point. Here is a Maui Wowie I cloned from a top. Hopefully the pics help @spudeater65

Topped and cut, scraped, clonex and into Jiffy Peat Pod. (Root Riot’s work too) then under the dome with the T5.

4 days later. New growth. Leaves starting to lift up.

8 days later, leaves are reaching over the edges of the solo cup. Time to transplant.

Into transplant home for LST until they get flipped for flower.

:call_me_hand:

6 Likes

@spudeater65 while @JaneQP and my cloning process is pretty much the same, you should check this thread out:

There are many ways to do many things, find what works for you. :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

I don’t think you can just take a leaf. If you’re topping, that’s a perfect time to get a cutting, otherwise look for a lower sucker branch that you’ll probably prune anyway.

4 Likes

Yes! I mist the plants and the domes a couple of times a day. Forgot that part.

I pulled out the dill, basil, parsley and coleus to repot and RH has dropped. Still above 60 RH.

3 Likes

Good I am glad to have aaked. I figured I can use my vivosun light VS 1000 led for cloning. Seprartae setup in basement

5 Likes

It’s funny you say that about a leaf because I saw a post on the site recently where someone said a friend had done that! LOL!
I had my doubts at the time, but stranger things have happened. And I know some cactus you can root from just a leaf or a node. I do that all the time.
I do find it hard to believe you could produce any kind of viable clone, in a reasonable amount of time, from just a leaf.
Outside of say a lab setting, at least.

I’m from Missouri! (I’m not!) Show Me!!

Hoping for your continued success @JaneQP !!
And I’m gonna get me a tangie strain soon!
And maybe some Tang!
I could drink a gallon of that spaceman powder when i was a kid! LOL!
Sunny D of the 70s! LOL!

7 Likes

U from Missouri?? Where at. My neighbors r from there just north of st Louis forgot the little city they r from. Their daughter and son in law with kids still live there tho. Neighbors been in Michigan for over 40 years now believe we r making a trip there this summer with them if I do I’ll Hollar

1 Like