Grand Daddy Purple and a Jack Herer

I’m so sorry for losing your best friend, and companion. Dogs truly are amazing, and it’s devastating when we lose them. I hope your heart heals in time.

5 Likes

Very sorry on the loss of your furbaby. It is coming up on four years since my Halo passed. It still think of her - she was such a good dog.

4 Likes

I’m sorry about your friend. I have no doubt he had a great life!
:pray:

1 Like

I can hardly wait until September.4th so I can get this moving business over with. We get possession on the first. We are going 31/2 hrs away from where we are now so want to make it in one giant move.

Can anyone recommend a generator that I can plug my house into in case of power outs?

I want to get my seeds in soil before the end of September I’m at a full stop for the moment until I can get set up and going again.

2 Likes

You want this just to run your grow? What you will need to do is check labels on all of your equipment for full load current and add them up. If you get the total current load I can probably find you a generator. However, if the purpose is to just run your growing equipment, I would plug your stuff directly into generator instead of back feeding your house. Back feeding your house could be dangerous if a few important steps are omitted.

2 Likes

When we bought the house one of its features is it’s wired for a generator in case of power failures we are moving North. What exactly that entails I am not sure. My grow and I have not yet arrived . So I think it’s the whole house but how will I know? I have two full kitchens one with a gas stove one is electric both full size fridges water heater and furnace are gas. Laundry is electric I think I will change that when if I can. 4 bedroom 2 are going to be my grow rooms all my grow lights together are under actual 1000w I will be adding air conditioning to grow rooms as I don’t have central air at the new place but will in the future have it added. Once I get there I will start checking labels :sunglasses::+1:

1 Like

Sounds like it has an automatic transfer switch then. You will want to verify that equipment is already installed, as generator will need to be sized to or below maximum current rating of the transfer switch. From there I think most municipalities will require a permit pulled which typically means a licensed electrician will have to do or at least sign off on your install because of the grid connection. Not that you would be the only one to ever bypass this process, but you should at least check requirements for your area ahead of time.

If that’s the route you go, your contractor should be able to tell you what to get. If you are going to do this all yourself, you will probably at the very least need someone with a little bit of residential wiring experience to help.

4 Likes

Ok Thanks for the heads up. The hook up is already installed as far as I know that was listed as a selling point. I have only been there once. I will investigate further when we arrive. What dose a transfer switch look like? Is it just a breaker switch or will it be something separate?

2 Likes

It can look a little different depending on the model, but will likely be enclosed in a panel with your service and generator wiring both wired into it.

1 Like

Ok I do know where the panel is and that is breaker’s beyond that I did not really look that hard and I did not take a picture so I will have to wait and see

2 Likes

Hey how are you? Hope all is well. I haven’t been on since the last time we conversed. We have landed safely in our new to us home.
I was wondering what your opinion of Generac Generators? I did find a switch in the panel.

Now I’m under a tornado warning sure is black

3 Likes

Good to hear you have that behind you, and I hope you are enjoying your new home!

Generac is fairly common name in household units. Most that I have worked on are commercial and much bigger than what you’ll have in your home. We have 2 right now, one 100kw and another 90kw, and both are manufactured by caterpillar. Provided yours has been maintained well and not used beyond it’s expectations, should be plenty good.

3 Likes

I hope you enjoy your new home. Just bought mine last year. I recently looked at house generators, and they were about $5k. Generac was what I was looking at. I think it was a 20kw to power my house.
Generac will serve you well. Most have common motors that are in something else, so the reliability is there. There’s not much that goes wrong with them really.

2 Likes

Well it’s not much but it’s a new beginning. More to follow. The sixth one has cracked open just not up yet. 2 train wreck 2 white widow 2double chocolate

4 Likes

Double chocolate sounds yummy
Grew tw and white widow last grow out doors.
Tw was great resistant against mold and mildew got zero other strains got hammered with bud rot end of last year’s grow.
Came in cold and wet at the very worst time.
Massive learning curve
Nice to see you back and glad your new homes working out. You been through a lot these last few years
Cheers

1 Like

I called Generac and they gave me the number of a dealer in my area. It’s a lot of money to spend on something I know nothing about just don’t want to be ripped off. They recommend 14kw Generac and auto transfer switch installed $10,106.00 CA does that sound right to run a whole house with central air 2 full size fridges?

1 Like

14kw unit like that here retails for $3-4000 depending on features. Then figure $500-$800 for the transfer switch. There would also be some cable, connectors and misc supplies needed. So figure probably $5000 US in equipment.

If there was already a pad to put it on and I didn’t have to mess around reconfiguring anything in your home to install it, I would do as side job for probably $1000. Any additional work like pad installation or drywall repair i would charge more. And a company is gonna be 3x that pretty easily. So I figure this probably cost $8000 US to pay contractor. With conversion rate $10,000 Cad sounds about right. Not a steal, but I wouldn’t say you are getting ripped off either.

1 Like

There is no pad and the gas fitter will be extra but that includes tax in the estimate. does 14 k sound like the correct size?
I have
2 full size electric fridges
1 electric stove
1 gas stove
1 1500 w microwave range hood
1 regular range hood
1 in-line well pump
1 sump pump
Gas water heater
Gas furnace
Electric washer
Electric dryer
Central Air
4 bed room
2700 sq. Ft.
2200 actual watts of grow lights total
Fans for 3 tents 8x4 & 5x5, & 4x4

1 Like

15-20 kw is typically recommended for 200amp service. 14kw is on the small end there, but it would work. It’s intent is not to be able to run every appliance in your home simultaneously, but to keep your home functional during a power outage. If you need to have your grow running, a/c on, electric dryer running, and and electric stove all on at the same time, you may want to go to slightly larger unit. But if you can refrain from using all of the large loads at same time when generator is running 14kw is plenty big enough.

2 Likes