Grams per Watt, Meter, etc

You don’t really want to pay much attention to advertised ppfd numbers either. Most of the time that’s a single point measurement directly below the fixture, and doesn’t really generalize much about the total output of light.

If you want to really know how efficient of a grower you are, measure your gram per kwh per square foot.

4 Likes

:point_up_2:t5::point_up_2:t5::point_up_2:t5: 2 month veg.

No one is taking YOUR numbers as offensive. U are the man bro. Any hydro questions u get a poke. My thing is. I veg 4-6 weeks MAX. N pull weight. Listening, genetics, lighting. Nothing else matters.

Then its listening to ur plants. Not the randoms on the internet

5 Likes

I’ve been telling folks that for years haha. Hard to do and a work in progress. Everything should be taken into account though but it gets increasingly complicated and at that point I start looking for my lighter lol.

4 Likes

Wasn’t trippin on @dbrn32
Just a little surprised at his blatinist comment…
We don’t get that to much from him … lol
Must have been a long day for him…:wink:
I just know what I can do and its really not that hard… if I took better care of my plants , then maybe I would have ridiculous numbers to post…
But for me at this time , it’s all worth it… :smiling_imp::grin::wink:
:v::sunglasses:

4 Likes

No @peachfuzz it’s just that @dbrn32 is so damn FACTUAL …to the point - no grey areas. I’ve definitely come to take D’s debates with wide eyes… lol debates…I mean lessons!!

2 Likes

He really is. Kinda like the asshole doctor everyone uses as a primary physician. Yea he’ll call u fat, yea his prices are high af. But dammit if u dont feel better everytime u leave that stinkin office!

3 Likes

I get that. I think it was just that my comment followed yours. My thoughts on this would’ve been exactly the same if I was the very first post on this topic, regardless of who has whatever else to add.

The point is that there are a numbers of ways to inflate ones gram per watt production, but most have an inverse effect on the overall production of the space. Running a scrog for example, is known to help maximize productivity of light and space. However it also requires extended veg time in most cases. So you’re running cost of operating the space up and decreasing the amount of time you could be flowering. At the end of the grow, one can probably post a rather high gram per what metric, but they wouldn’t have run the space as effectively or efficiently as possible.

Another way to produce high on a gram per watt basis is to run long light schedule on flowering autos. Since the autos don’t have a need for ant specific light schedule, one can maximize DLI with a smaller light than normal by running it for something like 18-20 hours. You can get plant same amount of radiometric energy running 120 umol light for 20 hours as you can a 200 umol light for 12 hours. Running the 120 umol light would look higher on gram per watt, but the operating cost for running light is more because it was on for 8 hours longer. Once again, just driving operating cost of ones space up in order to potentially say they ran high gram per watt.

If someone were to post that they put up 1.5+ gpw on 12 hour schedule straight from rooted clones or plants 5 weeks from sprout I’d be super impressed. Then you know they’re not inflating cost of operating their grow to get there. Otherwise it doesn’t really matter to me who is doing what. We’re all here for about the same reason.

5 Likes

Challenge ACCEPTED!!!

3 Likes

I’d like to see DB on here after a couple of them beers he likes an unwinds a bit. Hes so serious ALL the time. Ya as a mentor he is kick ass and a role model and all I guess. But I’m just saying … it’d be cool!! Yes I know we are here to grow bud and you are needed cause you are the best at what you do but I think us knuckleheads help make it easy for the shyer peeps, keep it fun n interesting and make it a jovial time… much respect light man!!:grin::shushing_face:

3 Likes

I think he would be on the Whiskey!

1 Like

On the GOOD Whiskey

3 Likes

Or Pineapple Haze… @dbrn32 @TDubWilly LMAO!

2 Likes

for years (before I ever started growing) I have been thinking about this question…

since I am growing I dont care anymore.

Hope it helps :blush:

1 Like