Grams per Watt, Meter, etc

Hello again good people. I come across many references to the amount of yield as it relates to watts of energy, lumens of light, grow area, etc. When I read the term "grams per (…), is the author referring to total plant yield (leaves, stems, buds) or is this referring to just the dried flowers harvested from a given plant? Thanks.

1 Like

That’s flower. Everything else is “waste” from this metric. The only complaint I have is it does not reflect time. For example: say I grow under 200 watts for 3 months then grow for 6 months. What’s gonna yield better?

4 Likes

Usually the measurements are wet, but dry can be used as well. You figure in how many square feet you have in your flowering area, the wattage you’re lights are operating at, and you come up with a measurement. It’s just a general guideline to see how well you’re doing. If you can make it to the 1 gram per watt, then you’re doing pretty good.

1 Like

This has always been my biggest problem with this measure! Should be grams per watt divided by days of veg :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Even more: I don’t run my lights flat out until the last 3 to 4 weeks of flower. So in veg I’m running 300 watts but late flower 600 (don’t need more with these strips). The only way would be to plot all times at wattage and calculate. I did my hydro grow and got 1.24 gm/watt based on that 600 watts. But 2/3 of the grow was at the lower value.

2 Likes

Honestly , I think it has to do with how well your able to manage your canopy x space x light output x environment = big fat buds …
I’ve been able to achieve a little over 28 oz’s of dried and curred top shelf buds in a 3x6 double scrogg table with a 600 watt 4500 Kelvin hps bulb with oldschool magnetic ballist in a 8" xxxl vented hood… with 6 plant’s… in rdwc…
You tell me…
I’m happy with those results…
These were from clones and I cant remember how long they vegged for , but I’m sure it wasn’t longer then 2 months … probably more like a month and a half of shorter…
Plants grow extremely fast in rdwc as long as you can keep everything else in check… :wink:

:v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yeah; my hydro grow did a hair shy of 32 oz of flower for 3 plants and one of them was a dud. But that was a 5 month grow (2 month veg).

2 Likes

That would explain why I always end up with less than everyone else.
:joy::rofl::joy:

1 Like

Gram per watt is measured wet? Who’d a thunk? I’ll quit beating myself up. I did okay on my grows. I was measuring gram/watt dry.

2 Likes

You want gram per watt , dryed and curred…
Not wet weight… :wink:

3 Likes

I was going to say; if it’s wet weight then I got almost 5g/watt last grow, lol

1 Like

Awww man now I have to go to bed sad again…:wink:

3 Likes

Grams per watt is relatively useless measure. If your sole purpose was to get a high number here, it’s really easy to do. But, anyone who knew what they were looking at would realize you hadn’t accomplished anything special.

1 Like

Yikes…
Not sure I understand…
Seems a touchy subject some how…
Not sure and not bragging honestly…
Just throwing it out there that I’ve actually accomplished such feats…
Not even sure if I’m coming out ahead…
I Just know that I’m able to produce something that I cant find any where else in my neck of the woods for my hard earned money… :wink:
I maybe reading into something that’s not even here…
I am stoned… :grin::wink:
I guess in the end … it’s either worth it or it’s not…
For me…
Its hell of worth it… :wink:
Much love growmies …

4 Likes

Not picking on you, just in general statement in regards to topic. Gram per watt is just too easy of a measure to fluff.

Let’s say I harvested half as much as you with identical setup. My “gram per watt” would be half as much. But if I harvested twice as often I would have grown just as much. Ie, grams per watt useless lol.

2 Likes

Your totally mind tripping me right now…
Or I’m just too stoned…
I think it’s the latter…
:wink:

3 Likes

As long as I have a jar of great grass, I’m happy.

4 Likes

Oops. Thought it was wet weight… :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Good point.

1 Like

Thanks for that info. It seems that yield per watt is a marginal, at best, tool for estimating yield. Seems like PPFD is a far more useful parameter. Hell, you could put a 2500 watt space heater in your tent and yield ZILCH.

1 Like