Got free bag of bud But…

Alright everyone have a question. In laws gave wife and I big bag, they grow outdoor and normally not very good, and really seedy. Old guy does it form himself and to have fun. So got a 1/2 a gallon zip lock bag full, said cut off plant put in freezer. Will have pics later, can see the water frozen on buds so what should I do ? What going to set up drying tent 60,60 temp, humidity, and put on a screen to dry ? What do y’all think ? Going to use it all for Eddables thanks

1 Like

Will probably be pretty damaged and degraded. Will look like mush when thawed.

2 Likes

You can probably still do an extraction if you intend to use it for edibles.

2 Likes

You don’t think alot of trichs gonna be lost in the thawing water?

Ok where some pics, so that is just a window screen, on top 5 gallon bucket, dry tent. Like said all for Eddables worried about mold. They are super dam and Mushy ?

1 Like

Looks alot better then I’ve done. I’ve thawed after freezing to moist and it turned to mush. Shiz I’d smoke that!

Should I dry for 2-3 days then out in jars, and burb, and do that ? Or dry tell ready then go strait to oven to de carb ? Or strait to de carb now ?

If it was me, I’d probably dry it, decarb it in oven and add it to coconut oil or butter. If eatables was the plan. From pictures it doesn’t look to bad to me. Use your own judgment though of course, but I’d say any dryer option would probably work with good air flow and keep a watch for any mold.

But straight to decarb would probably work though :+1:

You can tell he’s not a fan of trimming :laughing:

I would leave it out and keep an eye on at as it thaws. @Myfriendis410 stores in freezer, but I believe in jars.

6 Likes

Me too: in the freezer

2 Likes

What is the process if any you use when you pull buds from freezer?

1 Like

If dried, nothing you can just light it up. The aroma will come back after it thaws for a minute but in my experience the taste is there full force right away.

3 Likes

For what the OP has going I’d toss that bud straight into the oven and decarb it and then toss it in a pot with water and butter and simmer for a while on low.

1 Like

If I were you I’d just get some bubble bags on Amazon and make bubble hash out of that

1 Like

Thaw it in the fridge then put it back in the freezer in an open large container and spread it out for airflow the freezer will eventually pull all the moisture out but it needs to be stirred every now and then to expose ice crystals to airflow. I put a bunch of good but crappy looking
weed in my freezer after washing it and left it in there in trashbags. At first it froze and had ice crystals all over it so I put it in the fridge in a Tupperware container with the lid off for a few days then i put the weed back in the freezer in the Tupperware it took month or so for it to dry. It’s still in my freezer and will be used for extraction and edibles.

1 Like

If fresh plant material is going to be used for edibles I’d simply put on a cookie sheet and dry in the oven. While you’re at it you can decarb the plant material before making into edibles.

I put green trim in the freezer and normally dry it out/decarb before working with it. Alcohol infusion and water don’t mix well. If doing butter in a crockpot you can just put that in and cook it which will decarb.

6 Likes

I was experimenting with different ways of drying weed in the freezer and fridge I grew way more than I expected so I had lots to experiment with I’m gonna use alcohol to extract then decarb it but if I was making canna butter I would do what @Myfriendis410 suggested. Dry it and decarb it at the same time. EZPZ

@Myfriendis410 do you decarb before you do an alcohol extraction

Thanks everyone, great advice