Good simple grow medium

Can someone provide a good simple recipe for a grown medium. I’m growing in diet of course. My first batch looks fantastic but it’s just potting soil and added nutrients. I see a lot of people get overly complicated. What a good simple soil type and additives I can use for my soon to be delivered Skunk Supreme?

1 Like

4 parts coco coir
1 part composted manure/worm castings
1 part perlite

I use Happy Frog dry amendments at half strength.

1 Like

I tried soil and found the ProMix COCO is a great choice. I even use it for germination and have had a 100% success with 11 seeds, I’ve also rooted two clones in it with a couple more added recently.

1 Like

It might change depending On grow goals and conditions, but I will tell you what I find works for me (small indoor grow, medical). I use FoxFarms Happy Frog. I have used two bags this year for 7 cannabis plants. It has all the nutrition a cannabis plant needs in the late seedling and veg growth periods (4-5weeks).

Once the plants are in flower, I do start adding nutes.

I used to mix blood and bone meal in with typical big box store, potting soil/perlite mixtures and had pretty mediocre results. Once I switched to FFHF my plants became monsters in their pots. Granted, each bag I buy is $20…but I save a lot in amendments and constant feeds for the plants’ veg growth cycles. I don’t only grow cannabis, but have a thriving vegetable and flower garden habit as well. My spent pot soils go back into my in-ground gardens so I can recycle and amend my outdoor plants. From now on, if it is in a pot, I use Happy Frog.

This is my organic top feed formula
Pure double buffered coco( perlite optional)
Per 5 gallons-
16-20 tablespoons old truck brand vegetable or rose formula
6 tablespoons diatomaceous earth for silica
6 tablespoons NFTG phosphorus heavy slow release nutes( bottom half only)
Added microbes ,prebiotic, or fish sh!t.

Then I top feed about 15-20 tablespoons dry amendments every 2 weeks (mostly down to earth 484 in flower)

I think this all depends on your growing style. will you be feeding daily, weekly? Do you want to rely on the soil and only top dress?

I grow outdoors in 50 gallon fabric grow bags. I chose the organic method. I brew an organic tea and feed only once per week. I didn’t want to be on a strick dialing feeding schedule. I feel the plant itself needs a huge amount of attenuation during the grow rather then always feeding. Do much focus can be spent on a feeding schedule.

Soil type: Dirt was a given as that is the true only organic method I feel. I went with a basic organic blend in bulk from a local landscaping supplier. This allowed my to start fresh and create the living microbial life in the soil I was looking for. Once you get a solid soil the plant with fall inline.

Remember. When you see a problem in your plant it ‘always’ starts in the soil. :wink:

Happy growing…

1 Like