Gold Leaf pollinated:-(

So, I grow for myself, my son and my SIL. Our 1st 2 grows have been very successful, with top quality bud, in good quantities. Our 3rd grow, of 5 gold leaf plants, began life as our best yet, with incredible growth and health. In week 4 of flowering I discovered a hermorphidite, removed and destroyed it, but, 90% sure it had pollinated the grow. My mentor, who has grown for 40 years advised me to destroy the crop, but my “boy’s” wanted to take it to harvest since they both had experienced really good seedy weed in their experience. I had the 4 remaining plants out of the tent yesterday to remove the light blocking water leaf and found another hermorphidite. All plants (end of flower week 5) are chock full of developing colas. Since we are already pollinated, would you leave the hermorphidite in as the damage is already done? Thoughts? I’m bummed, but, didn’t expect every grow to be without trouble:-).

How much male flower did you find? Got any pictures? If it was just a couple of “nanners” that usually only results in a few immature seeds. While producing seeds will take away from the end quality of the smoke, the seeds have some value too.
A friend had some plants that self-pollinated and produced a lot of seed. I got some of the seed and have successfully grown 2 of them. So far, they have acted like normal feminizied, auto seeds.

This morning I discovered something as I watered (plants are each drinking 1/2 gallon a day). I originally planted 5 gold leaf and 1 purple Frost Giant. 5 plants emerged, 1 non starter. I assumed all 5 gold leaf had started. 1 plant has always towered above the others. Today I realized the color of the big girl is distinctly different than the other 3. So, I’ve got 1 purple Frost Giant and 3 gold leaf.
In answer to your question, there are maybe 6 - 10 male “sacks” on 1 gold leaf.

I’d spray it down with water, remove the sacs, spray again with water, and let it ride with a watchful eye.

Sometimes hermaphrodite pollen is inert. Not usually, but sometimes. So it may be that s/he’s totally sterile and no risk of seeds. Water kills the pollen either way, so that’s why I’d go that route during sac removal.

1 Like