I am in SW Virginia. Have four going outside. Have already had a little bit of bud rot on two and have been controlling PM on a third one. It is going to rain a lot in the next week. I am in the 7th week of flower with two and the sixth week with the other two. I have been using actinovate, insect frass and aspirin to boost the girl’s immune systems. But with already having issues with bud rot and WPM, albeit minor, I am wondering if I should just cut what I have rather than risk losing them all in the upcoming wet weather.
I closed the other thread. Identical issues. Try to keep everything contained to one area. Thanks
Onto your issues. Once I see any type of mold (i grow indoors), i begin harvest regardless. If its containable, ill isolate and chop any affected branches and toss that (or try a Bud Wash, but if its bad, toss it), and try to make it closer with the rest. But with 2 showing bud rot? Id take everything salvageable as close to expected rain as possible. Try to milk your time.
Im sure outdoorsers may have a few other tricks. There is quite the group of Virginians around the site. One uses milk as a fungicide I believe. But again. This late in the game? Dont let the spores kill the buzz
Ok, thank you.
No problem my friend. Ill see if I can round up some Virginians.
Many thanks for you input and help. I have been using the milk/water spray to control the pm on the one girl. It worked quite well. But, yea, this late and with a week of rain bearing down I am leaning heavily toward just going ahead and harvesting. Rain is supposed to start tonight/tomorrow. Thanks again for your input and time.
Have to run to the hardware store and get some things to prep my drying room. Will check back in here when I get back.
Is there anyway you can tarp the tops? Try to cover them from direct waterfall… humidity still wont be your friend. But better then nothing
That was going to be my suggestion. Hell anything to keep some of the rain off of them. If you shake em, several times a day, it helps knock the water off a bit. Depends on how accessible they are
I could tarp them. But would have to buy some tarps and build something to hold them away from the plants.
They are right in my back yard. So they are readily accessible. That said, after already having had some issues due to humidity I am gonna get my drying room setup and go ahead and cut them. I hate having to cut this early. But, I tried a bud I cut at four weeks in and it was surprisingly strong. So, i reckon it wont be too bad a loss. At any rate, many thanks for taking the time to offer your input. I really appreciate it yall.
Always happy to try to help a fellow Virginian out
Hey just to commiserate I’m up in northern VT. It’s three days of rain and highs of 50 and lows in the low 40s at night. It’s ugly.
I say Ride it out if you can stand to. I’m playing the same game with mold and rain
I am right here with you fighting the same fight on one plant I selectively harvested part of it and am gonna gamble on the other half. My other plant has never had a single problem and it was the runt of my grow
Bottom is the runt last week. It’s hard to believe those seed came out of the same bud
Its crazy how much variation can come from the same pheno aint it? I love it. Its like a cool form of treasure hunt. I had two very different phenos from a batch of Cosmic Wedding seeds. One was very dark green with total sativa structure and the other was lime green with indica dominant traits. I will see if I can post some pics from my phone. I am a bit tech challenged so no promises. LoL
So, I harvested two completely. Selectively harvested my GSC hybrid. And brought my Kush inside. I am gonna ride it out as best I can with the GSC and just see what happens there. And I will just bring the Kush in and out of the house as needed. Once again many thanks to you all for your input!
Solid plan. Best of luck and keep us updated. Happy growing.
Yes it is amazing. I didn’t know a single thing about phenos till legalization came in July. I grew a few here and there in high school but that was more than a few days ago. Best of luck on riding out the storm and congratulations on the partial harvest.
So, I have everything cut and hanging since 03 October. I bought a moisture meter to accurately tell % moisture in the buds. The larger buds are showing between ~ 13 and 15%. Smaller buds ~ 11 - 13%. I have read in a few places that drying ends at 14 - 15%. And curing ends ~ 10 - 12%. My issue is that even the buds with the lower readings the stems are still not snapping, just bending. My RH has been between 65 and 70% and temp between 65 and 70F. I am debating cutting the buds from the stems for final trim and placing them on paper bags laid out on the table in the drying room. Any advice would be appreciated. I used to just wing it and did pretty well. But I want to be specific in my parameters this time around.
Could use a bit more advice here my friend. I posted above my issue. Would love your feedback.
My prior experience has me thinking I should stick with what I know and follow the stem snap method. But, in the interest of seeking perfection of the drying/curing process has me wanting to follow the guidelines I cited re % moisture content as per the meter.