Going for an explosive grow! Autopot fun!

Either buy an aluminum plate that fits the case or strip all the leds out of the current plate and then sand/ re-use.

People having success doing that with the cobs? I would be concerned that the amount of heat dispersed on cobs that weren’t directly under heatsink.

A good friend of mine is an iron worker, he will figure something out for me if thats an issue. I always rely on him when I need to build things haha! but maybe snip off leds and then use a grinder with sand paper to sand off back to a clear plate? if that really is an issue i dont think a small heatsink like that would be too costly?

I am considering converting the 700W now instead of the 600 since it has two heatsinks. have you watched growmau5 video i posted? thats what I was thinking but triping the plate off the leds.

@dbrn32

Also apply thermal paste under cob holder? for an even heat dispersion?

2 Likes

Yup. Did you catch the part at about 6 minute mark, that he says to be mindful cobs are over the heatsink? That’s what I’m referring to.

Would probably be easier with with the dual heatsinks. Or if you wanna do something with a new heatsink in the 600, that would work too.

The tim under the cob is for the heat transfer from the cob to heatsink. The plate itself will not disperse the heat enough once it gets there.

2 Likes

Yeah, that would be a big loss of space in the case with the small heatsink in the 600W. i dont think these kind of heatsink are really expensive are they? would it be possible to run two drivers in parallel to run a single cob with more amps? like only run two cobs at higher wattage with two drivers per?

Or just do the 700W instead, more parts avaible already.

Took out my paint skillz again, I have went trough alot of topics i found @ google from other forums. My mars 700 has 5 drivers, two of them connected to 12V fan. I would use two drivers with the fan + a 72v chip, two drivers with one 72V chip on it and one driver with two 36V chips .

Would that make sense to you?

2 Likes

It depends on the exact size of heatsink you’re wanting. Custom cut for that would probably a couple bucks per inch. If you found one that was close enough to work it could be pretty cheap. Or maybe a couple that would fit nicely.

St a quick glance looks like it would work. I’m assuming they’re doing that with 72 volt cxb3590?

i think it was the 70V vero, but i guess cree could do it :stuck_out_tongue: but yeah, the 700W is what im going to make conversion with, just need to figure out cobs now. Luminus are still temptring me but at 51V im wondering how I could fit that, since driver are 55V minimum. Maybe use luminous on the two drivers that the fans are plugged on, leaving me with 3x drivers, maybe two CLU 1212 per driver so 8 cobs total? instead of 6 like the thing i sketched in paint.

1 Like

Ya like we were talking earlier, lots of ways you can go about it. Using fans with the cxm-22 will work. That would be like a 38 watt cob as opposed to a 50 watt cob going with the bigger vero 29.

I could see the value in doing it either way. More power is always good. But you can save a few bucks and light will run cooler with cxm-22.

As far as the 36 volt cobs go, the citi 1212 is a good one for that drive current.

If you choose to go with the luminous and citi 1212 you could get them all from cobkits. That has to be worth something?

You could do 8 cobs, but it’s a little overkill on that light footprint. If you’re going to go with 8 I would consider doing them all 36 volt. Or, if you really want more power, maybe 4 of the higher voltage cobs and two 36v.

So I have been shopping.

driver 1 = fan12v + luminous 50v
driver 2 = fan12v + luminous 50v
driver 3 = citizen 1212 x 2 = 72V
driver 4 = citizen 1212 gen6 x 2 = 72V
driver 5 : unused

around 180 watts?

162USD shipped with BJB holder and artic mx4 thermal paste. @ cobkits
thats with 40USD shipping

Driver 1 = Vero29 70V + 12v fan
driver 2 = vero 29 70v + 12v fan
driver 3 = vero 29 70v
driver 4 = vero 29 70V
driver 5 = 2x Citizen 1212 AMBER cob 36v

around 250 watts? 200 if no citizen?

190USD shipped. @rapidled with holder for citizen and pokein chips for vero

• thermal adhesive? 10$ shipping. comes down to 139USD without citizen

wich way is more efficient to you?

That is for the 700W

Now the possibilities with the 600w considering i use only the one heatsink and 4 cobs

Driver 1 = Luminous 50V + fan
driver 2 = Luminous 50v + fan
driver 3 = CLU 1212 gen6 36v x 2
driver 4 = empty

115ish watts?

117USD with 40$ shipping and 4 bjb holder… 40$ to ship small chips come on lol, would be interesting if it wasnt international.

3 cobs at higher voltage

driver 1 = Vero 29 70v + fan
driver 2 = vero 29 70v+ fan
driver 3 = vero 29 70v
driver 4 = empty

around 150w?

116$ shipped (10$ shipping @ rapidled)

4 cobs another option
driver 1 = luminous 50V + fan
driver 2 = luminous 50V + fan
driver 3 = CREE CXB3590 36V (3500K 80 CRI) x 2
driver 4 = empty

129$ shipped @ rapidled.

110ish watts

I am thinking about doing either the 4 Vero’s in my mars 700w or 3 veros in my 600w I think that price/efficiency is where its at the way im looking at it. Cobkits has nice price and CLU chips but no good shipping price. RapidLED has a good shipping price but no Citizen’s (only blue and amber). the two crees and two luminus is also interesting, not sure lol! I think im gonna have you decide for me lol!

Also found this, price wise seems very nice

5x citizen for 60USD @ bay of e
2x luminous + 1 citizen amber with holder for 8 cobs = 93$ so 153$ for 8 cobs. around 230w.

turning my mars 700 into a 8 cobs would be great right?

also, i am the most happy man right now, i ordered purple god PSC and Blue Coma (one yummy strain i tell ya) and I found two seed in one bud lol!!! its seed week !

Edit: and a third seed :smiley: this is the first seed im putting into water when time comes!

Edit 2 : and a 4th! lol! If it wasnt for mazar hemying i prob would not have noticed them!

Friend came over with a better cellphone cam lol. Up is mazar down is crystal candy

6 Likes

Decided to go for 4 x 1212 and 4x 1812, sent an order on alibaba for 123$ with holders, waiting on seller answer. @dbrn32

just realised that wont work since driver minimum is 55. I cancelled and ordered 6 x 1212’s, will get 2x vero 70v chips to go along with fans. should turn my panel into a nice cob light round 250w :smiley:

3 Likes

beautiful buds @Blasting
nice harvest!

2 Likes

What was chip price and cost of shipping? On a small order like that it may have been cheaper to order domestically. Kingbrite and the others will be a little cheaper on the led cost, but shipping is high.

2 Likes

9 a chip, didmt send payment yet, any other place? These 5 1212 @ ebay seemed good price too

Cobkits has 1212 for $9 as well. I would get ideal holder for them if you don’t mind drilling and tapping holes. Will make solderless. But pretty sure he used usps flat rate. Only issue there is that he doesn’t sell bridgelux.