Going Down the Hydro Rabbit Hole

I was starting them in rapid rooters then transferring them straight into net pot home. I don’t have any bubble bucket setup just the main system.

2 Likes

Just growing in your new system will tell you more than anyone on how best to make it work.

3 Likes

Do you not recommend or see it’s possible for me to plant them straight into the system? First time hydro grow so I’m not all up on it.

3 Likes

My germinated seed goes into a Rapid Rooter (rockwool cube) and is nursed along until taproot shows out of the bottom. At that point it goes into the hydroton with a top feed until taproot finds it’s way to the rez. Discontinue top feed at that point. Splashing from air bubbles will bring oxygenated water up to the hydroton if it’s set 1 1/2" or so below net pot.

4 Likes

I’m dying to see your system run. All in!
Do the Rapid Rooter’s fall apart and end up on the pump?

1 Like

I’d say no, they’re actually quite strong like a sponge.

1 Like

that was me because they are not allowed to sell hydroguard in Australia…

well idk about cheap… well its very very cheap in the long run, :roll_eyes: :grin:

its bayer serenade opti, 5kg of freezed dried powdered bacillus amyloliquifaciens… with some food for them… its enough for a lifetime, because the rate is about 10 grams a gallon… bio fungicide rate… was $350 aud… that makes the homemade hydroguard, then its 2mls per gallon… of nutes…

4 Likes

Glad that I could help you out my friend. I think that you are going to be happy/impressed/amazed, I know that I sure was. Kinda amazing that we were able to pull this off, being several states apart. I know that it was a bit of a PIA but we got er done. As far as the nutrients, the others will have to help you there, I have not used them, I’ve been wanting to try the ones you chose but, gonna be a while, since I still have a rather large supply of the ones that I am currently using, probably enough for several runs, maybe less with the amount of veg time I am using. Damn , Sorry @Myfriendis410 I wasn’t trying to crash into your post. I will continue on @BamaGrowLabz, journal. Y’all be safe out there :+1: :v: :point_right:

3 Likes

Dude, you’re more than welcome here.

3 Likes

I don’t have any type of top feed in my system.

2 Likes

An $8 pump from Amazon put into your rez and running out to a 1 1/2 GPH dripper from Home Depot and a timer takes care of it or you can dip out 4 oz of nutrient solution 3 or 4 times per day and simply pour it over the hydroton in a circle around the plant.

3 Likes

Will do, thank you for the advice.

1 Like

I don’t top feed. I leave sprouts in humidity dome for 7days, then put in hydro with water about 1 1/2" below net pot.

3 Likes

Can you give me an example of the dome please?

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085976Q7C/?tag=greenrel-20

" example of the dome " If you don’t have one look into getting a heatmat + temp control

3 Likes

I don’t use heat mat either. I’m sure @Member420 has good results just as @Myfriendis410 has good results with top watering. There are many ways of doing things. I don’t top water out of fear of keeping it too wet. I’ve never had a heat mat, and haven’t had any problems. Different strokes… not that any are right or wrong, just different ways.

4 Likes

I do have a temp control heat mat, same one in fact.

1 Like

I have never used a heat mat on anything but my aching back haha.

5 Likes

I don’t top feed for the same reason. I made drip rings for the inside of my net pots about an inch or so below the hydroton. Never needed to use them, actually the pump is still in the box.

I perforated the ring, made outta black waterline, zip tied it to the net pot, installed a T and a piece of tubing to a flow valve. This is how I start my plants after they crack

Then this

Now this

Its the one in the back :+1: :v:

6 Likes