Go big or start small

Hello all new to the group.

Long story short I am an electrician and have been running around wiring grow operations and want to start my own. Ive got a 24x28 garage unattached to my home and would like to turn it into a grow. Of course I will need permits and to find a dispensary to sell to,etc. Anyone share insight on how to get started in it all??

TIA

2 Likes

Hey brother, welcome to the forum. Let’s try this a dif way. Let’s see if we can get a little more specific. What’s your first question or concern?
So much to talk about. Try to narrow it down the the most pressing question first.
I’ll or we’ll get you in touch with the right people. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ok if all goes according to plan how long will it take on my return on investment?
What are the chances of having something freak happening and losing an entire batch of plants?

1 Like

That’s a loaded question. “If” all goes well, probably about 3 1/2 - 4 months (Roughly).

It can happen to the best of them, but if you go with a good seed company and keep everything in check, you should be ok.
The best experience is an experience where you learn from it. I don’t know to many people that haven’t had mishaps. We just move on.
Live, learn, die and forget it all!!

Next question??
:+1:t2::sunglasses:

1 Like

What do you expect the cost of setting a 24x28 garage into a grow will be? Disregard construction costs Ive got that, more or less the grow end of it, lighting controllers, exhaust, etc.

Would you just load the space up with plants on your first grow, or would you stagger plants so that say 1/2 is started a couple months behind the first?

How much baby sitting does an operation like this need?
My plan is to get the garage up and running and sock away to build a 20x40 garage on my property which I already have cleared and level and for the most part leave my day job and pick and choose the electrical work I want to do.

4 Likes

Sounds like you got a good plan! I imagine lightning would be 75% of total cost

1 Like

How experienced at growing are you? Are you gonna have a seedling room, a veg room, and a flower room? For that size room, depending on how many plants you grow and how many rooms your gonna have could easily spend 200 to several thousand dollars. There is no easy answer for that.

For a room that size I would talk with folks that do the type of grow like @peachfuzz @PurpNGold74 @Grandaddy013 or @BigDaddyCain and so many more.
I grow two, dry and jar, and then start on two more.

If you go hydro (rdwc) and have a big enough reservoir you can get by with very little babysitting and grow a boat load of weed.

3 Likes

To be honest, if you have to ask, Id stop and think about the process first.
Any place willing to sell your product is going to want clean, pesticide free and mold / mildew free cannabis. Depending on where you live, there may be a bunch of administrative details ontop of growing your weed. You may need to tag each plant all the way to packaging? You may require testing of your product? Certifying? Etc.
Now we look at your space, a decent fixture capable of producing commercial quality bud will set you back around 500 bucks to cover a 4x4 area. You will require ventilation in a big way! Depending on grow style, you may require tables or tubs, medium controllers for lighting, ventilation, humidifier/ dehumidifier. 4 rooms… seedling/ clone room can do fert mixes there… veg room, flower room, and a drying / trim/ packaging area.
You will require, led fixtures or hid your choice… for veg/ flower and you can get away with fluorescent fixtures for clones / seedlings. Although I would use led. It would be a 10,000 dollar squeeze to do it sorta proper! Trim trays, drying racks, lights, fans, ventilation, tools like ec pen/ ph pen, medium, pots, pumps maybe?
It not be cheap! And 10 grand is cheap in this game!

6 Likes

My question would be how well you can keep your environment in order…
Lots of things to consider for sure…
:v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

They got you covered it’s a lot to think about good led that you DIY from pacific lighting will run you 600-650 dollars for a 4x4 grow space and everything @Cannabian said he didn’t mention the electric bill it’s gonna cost

3 Likes

yeah that too! Electricity! Gotta love it! Weeeoooo

3 Likes

to be clear, a grow op without experience is putting the cart before the horse. However, you could hire a consultant to set you up and get you going.

2 Likes

ya the last grow said his was 6000 a month but his is quite a bit larger than what I have room for .

1 Like

My thoughts were to hit someone who is established up for a job that pays me in experience rather than cash. Seeing how most work 7 days a week I could do a weekend or two a month

2 Likes

Pro grows are quite mechanical, most use salts not organics, most grow whats popular at the time, like Gorilla glue and Blue Dream and blah blah blah. Its a business… not really what cannabis means to me.