Gnats in bud sites?

Hi,

Today I found some bugs that look like gnats on my plants. They seem to particularly like the bud sites, trying to crawl in between the pistils. Looks like one might have laid eggs in one of the bud sites too (see last two pics). Are these fungus gnats? Treat with neem oil as I’ve read? It’s been windy and I’m very careful about overwatering. When I ruffled the soil I didn’t see any of the gnats fly up or notice larva. They seem to like my tomato plants too.

Thanks!

1 Like

I had them in my soil. I used Captain Jack’s Dead Bug Brew in the soil and got some " Yellow Sticky Fruit Fly Trap Indoor and Outdoor, 5" x 3" Fungus Gnat Killer" I got from Amazon . Put one in each pot. Also got a few sticky fly traps and hung them from my tip cross bar in the tent. Worked well.

2 Likes

I am tagging my buddy @MeEasy. He gave me advice when I had an infestation. Soak mosquito bits in water for 24 hours and then use the water for feeding (it kills the larvae/eggs in soil). I don’t know if would be okay use use as a spray? MeEasy what do you think?

3 Likes

Thanks for the tag @JaneQP … the bits are only good to kill the larvae you’ll need yellow stickies to catch the adults and because it doesn’t harm the eggs it takes a couple applications of the bit juice.

2 Likes

I use water that has the bits soaking every feed. Figure I’d keep on top of it and prevent issues before they start.

3 Likes

I’ve noticed once they’re under control if I put some in once a month or so it keeps em away pretty well. But as soon as you start new soil you have to start all over

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll try monthly and see how it goes!

3 Likes