Gnats! Gnats! Gnats! Please help ASAP

Thanks it’s about 2foot from canopy It has a 6 inch exhaust fan that’s vented To outside and then I have a small 4 in duct Fan bringing in air from outside should have went with a 6 inch. I have a humidifier running To keep humidity down around 45 I’m growing in basement. The heat at canopy heights with lights on 85.5 around 84 lights out

1 Like

That is a bit warm. But if thats the high you should be ok. I have one room running now that holds at 85-86° during lights on. Seems to be doing fine. I ran a room last year that constantly hit 90° and even though a bit too high they turned out ok.

1 Like

That’s encouraging thanks

1 Like

I’m soaking my mosquito dunks. Should I adjust the pH like usual, to 6.3? Can I add salt based ferts with this? I use General Hydroponic Flora Series.

1 Like

My process is like so: I grow in soil, I put tap water in a bucket at least one day before feed/water. Add a small chunk of mosquito dunk. Let sit until feed time. Add nutrients then pH adjust.

1 Like

Thanks. How often do you do that? Every time?

Thanks. I may have to look into that. Ever since I started with the “living soil”, I’ve had increasing numbers of fungus gnats. Since you can’t let the soil dry out I know it’s not going to get better. I’ve used BTi in the past with great success, but like most pests, they somehow manage to evolve out of eradication.

3 Likes

How long do the eggs last in soil? Do they perish if completely dried out? I’ve heard once your soil has knats the only way to rid them is to completely dry the soil out in the sun. Probably ruining the entire process. I’m not sure here but would def like to follow to hear some really good ideas. A way to cleanse the soil of predatory eggs before using? Does exposure to certain light sources kill pathogens in the soil? Hmmm…

1 Like

@Drinkslinger i have encountered a gnat problem … honestly i think it came in my dirt & its bad i think its and infestation … looks like they are living in my soil and feeding off my aoil .
My soil is alot more dense than normal … also there are more babies … they are very very small & white i cant even get a picture of it but i see them all over my new plants … not my plant i planted a month in a half ago … its seems fine no problems at all … but also is in the same tent

I am growing in soil and and used hydrogen peroxide spray. Spray the soil and leaves. 1 cup H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) with 1 gallon H2O (water). Gnats and pests were gone within a couple of days and have not been back. No ill effects with plants- Happy Growing

2 Likes

Another thing that has helped me with organic bug control in my gardens has been diatomaceous earth. It can be sprinkled on top of the soil around the plants. I should be reapplied after each watering. Happy growing

1 Like