GL's 1st Time Grow Journal

In the first picture they look droopy which can be a sign of over watering. So wait at least 2-3 days in between watering are cut your water measurement in half from a full gallon to a half gallon. Stop nutrients until you see signs of growth, and cayenne pepper, 1\4 cup of skin milk to a gallon of pH water will kill the gnat larvae in your soil, but first you cannot make them grow, you gave to be patient and allow them to grow. Watering will not make a plant grow faster, it only causes additional problems. But keep in mind whenever you don’t see improvement of growth above the soil is cause much can be going on underneath the soil so give it time. If you respond to the plant instead of trying to force the plant to respond to you in time you’ll have better results. But ambient temperature 72-78 degrees, humidity 50-65 % in veg and 35-45% in flower, proper pH water, tap, Reverse osmosis , rain water, or fish tank water at 6.3-6.8 in soil or 5.8-6.0 in hydro or coco with the right ppm or EC levels of nutrients between 800-1200 should be ideal will allow your plant to thrive and the right amount of light at the right height and you’ll see better results, but start with letting the plant dry out more before watering or feeding and once you get the watering figured out, than start your feeding in a schedule sequence, keep everything exactly the same in consistency and you’ll do just fine…happy growing!

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll definitely keep the watering in check. Last time I watered, the smart pots were really light so I might have over done it.

The less you water the more your roots will grow which will cause your plant to grow. A fourth of a gallon every two days is better than a full gallon in three days, plus it helps prevent gnats from hatching in overly wet organic soil in humid conditions.

1 Like

UPDATE END OF WEEK 6 04/22/2017

Hi guys, quick update on plants as they enter into week 7 of veg (is this too long?) I am trying to get them to reach the screen which is about 14" - 18" from the top of the soil. Keeping in mind that I lost at least a week of growth due to topping. I know the plant will stretch and grow twice as big in flower. Is there an ideal amount of growth thats recommended before flipping to 12/12 schedule?
I think I have the bug problem under control I ended up buying and using an organic spray with spindosa (sp?). Anyway, worked great, no more signs of leaves being eaten or bugs in general. However, a new problem has sprung up - yellowing of older leaves at the base. I did my research and narrowed it down to a Nitro def.
I started feeding 1/4 FF Big Bloom and Grow big then gradually increased to full strength last feeding 2 days ago. This was 6tsp and a generous 3tsp of Grow big. My pH in is 6.5 and out is 6.0

Here’s my question - Should I feed again at full strength before taking drastic measures like flushing? I’d like to give it till at least 2 days after the next feeding to see if the 1/4 and 1/2 strength nutes were just not enough and thats why I’m getting the yellowing?

Plant # 1 Pics

Plant #2 Pics

WW Auto

Lemme know what you guys think about waiting for nutes to do their thing vs flush / re-pot to deal with the Nitrogen Def.

Thanks! Happy growing!

1 Like

Hi @GreenLantern202 not saying your wrong, but ya girl looks great.
The leaves your referring to is so far up under the rest of the plant ,they are not getting any light,and it looks like they are laying on the dirt. Which will cause more problems.
But that is just my thoughts,

3 Likes

Yep I agree with @Nug-bug touching the ground and not enough light. Trim it off.

Couple of things tho @GreenLantern202 your pH out needs to be quite a bit higher.

pH you mix after nutrients are added to water…

May I recommend you go in at 7 pH next time. Also foxfarm has a feeding schedule for their nutrients. Have you seen that?

The girls look great!

2 Likes

Thanks! I have two 300 W Viparspectra LED lights in a 4 x 2 x 5 tent. The plants are pretty bushy and those leaves were barely getting any light. Should I add more lights and how much trimming can I do? I am trying to SCROG so don’t want to sacrifice potential stems/bud sites. I’ve seen some nice trimming done on more upright plants any tips for trimming bushy plants welcome!

Thank you! I will feed with 7.0 next watering/feeding. Can I trim these squat bushy plants or just keep letting them do their thing till they reach the net for tucking and training?

I was just curious have you put them on at 12 on 12 off light schedule yet

Nope they have been on an 18/6 light timer all their life. There was a 2 hr interruption during a storm about a month ago but didn’t think that would affect them. What’s up?

Nothing brother they look awesome like the guy said those leaves I would just trim them off besides that you look killer of those 5 gallon pots how many weeks were you going to wait before you put it into flower

Thanks man. I’m wiating on two things - 1. Plants to reach the screen they are about 6 - 8 inches away and the screen is about 18 - 24 inches from the top of the pots (they are 3 Gal by the way). and 2. I have a White Widow Auto flower in the tent as well thats at least a month behind. I want to see how fast she catches up to the other 2 once they reach the screen. My hope is once she catches up or is close flip lights to 12/12 and potentially harvest all three around the same time and get ready for another round of growing and scrogging! Thats the master plan…:

4 Likes

UPDATE WEEK 7 4/30/2017

I ended up lightly trimming these bushy plants not that you’d tell from these pics. I also split two branches on plant #2 but I was able to use some tape to hold it back together and it seems to be working. Finally bought one of those yellow pH meters and my run off is 6.6 on plant 1 and 6.3 on plant 2. Sounds like I’ll need to water/feed at 7.0 a couple of times to get the run off for plant 2 up a couple of ticks?

Plant 1 - Some tops have finally breached the scrog screen!

Plant 2

Broken stem :frowning:

Plant 3 - ILGM WW Auto before and 48 hrs after transplanting

I also took some clones of Plant 1 when I was trimming kind of just for the hell of it as I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a second tent setup for cloning/vegging. Looks like they might make it which is beyond amazing cos these cuttings sat in a solo cup with tap water and a ziplock bag dome over them for over a week before I put them in rapid rooter plugs. They were pretty limp but looked healthy and 48 hrs later the stems have sprung to life. Check 'em out -

3 Likes

Ya girls look great bro, very vibrant and green!
Congrats on the clones, great way to speed up harvest can’t wait till I can cut some

1 Like

UPDATE

Since the last update there have been a few changes to the operation - I finally slurged and got another tent setup mainly for vegging clones and seedlings to get the rotation started with the “old” tent which will be the flowering/Scrog tent.

Tent 1 - 20" x 4’ x 6’
Residents -
7 cuttings from unknown plants
1 WW auto from ILGM
2 Clones from Plant 1
1 Clone from plant 2

The white widow is a beast! She was planted a month after the unknown phenos and is already well into flower and left her two sisters in the dust. I did some LST on her when she was younger - tied down the main stem and let the other side shoots catch up in height and I think it definitely helped as most bud sites are about the same size even some of the lower branches. I used Azos and mykos when I transplanted and I think it did wonders when compared to older two without.

These 3 are clones from the bag seed plants. The two on the right are from plant 1 and the one on the right is from plant 2. They have all rooted and are taking off. I will top them, two will be scrogged and one will be topped and lst’ed for the next flower tent rotation.

The random macGuyver humidomes are cuttings from plants 1 and 2 in flower now. Some of these will be kept in veg till next round of rotation and 2 will be experiment outdoor plants. Our summers are hot and humid here somewhere between MD and VA wink wink it will be a challenge to keep them alive but I’m having fun with this hobby and cloning is an easy/less risky way to experiment so why not?!

Plants from unknown bag seeds

I had to veg the unknown plants till late may ( 2 months! ) due to travel. They’re just over a week on the 12/12 light schedule. I’m feeding FF trio and open seasame. Contemplating adding cha-ching and beastie bloomz as I’ve read good things on other posts.
Because of the long veg I had to move to screen up to about 2 feet from the soil cos these plants are stretching like crazy. This leaves me less than 3’ to fit the lights without burning the tops. I think the LEDs will be ok. I’m running a 1000w and a 300w LEDs. Temps are btw 77 and 82 and RH is in the 60s. Runoff is 6.5 with 6.8 - 7.0 going in.
I was a little worried about plants possibly being male but after week 1 of 12/12 I got all girls and no bananas - phew!

3 Likes

Well aren’t you just turning into a pro
Great job man you’ll be pulling in the bud by the lb in no time😎
@GreenLantern202

Edit: sorry man should have read over after I posted, meant to say pro. @GreenLantern202

1 Like

I hope so haha that’s the master plan.

Wanted to include pics of the main stalk of the bag seed plants. Whatever these two strains are, they’ve been solid, took well to topping, then lst and scrogging and turned out to be 2 bushy plants. For a first time grower its been learning on the fly and these two girls made it easy.

They are in the 2nd week of 12/12 lights and I’ve trimmed out under brush. I read on here you can trim up to 2nd week of flower so i might reassess in a couple of days and take off smaller shoots and stems to help push energy nutrients to top bud sites.
Really hoping for a decent yield so I can tell my delivery guys they are fired! I’m going indie baby! :joy:

For you pros out there is it normal to keep losing healthy leaves at the base of the plants? I think they are self-trimming? So whatever the light isnt getting to at the base just falls off… green, healthy looking leaves. I used to feed calmag every watering but stopped cos I’ve read on the forum excess can cause healthy leaf loss. Is this true? @TxGrowman @Donaldj @bob31 @Hogmaster @Nug-bug

Any insight? Tips? Concerned plant is gonna be naked before harvest.

Pic of leaves today

Can I be a pro and problem at the same time? :imp: