Girl Scout Cookies are foxtailing

From a fellow grower:

They are an outdoor grow where strict daily methods were used to ensure premium plants. Ocean forest soil with Tea Lab compost tea every 10 days. Soils amended with worm castings. Foliar sprayed with neem oil, soap and fish hydrolysate twice during veg. and DT 3 times during flower. All solution used less than suggested directions with moderate application. Tea Labs Bloom Top Dress applied as directed during flower. Hand watered as needed to keep soil moist. All plants located in same vicinity receiving full sun. Weather was consistent with a few temperatures over 90 where I used sun shades to protect. I grow on shady side of mountain that limits heat.

2 Likes

Looks good to me

I see genetics playing into the Bud structure and not so much Foxtailing.

4 Likes

I’m with @kellydans. I don’t see foxtailing. The bud structure is a combination of genetics and environment.

I wouldn’t be spraying neem now that the plant is flowering.

4 Likes

don’t see foxtailing

2 Likes

No foxtailing, but some nicely swollen calyxes!!! Personally never had much problem with foxtailing outdoors, just when I grew indoors with the light just a tad close.

3 Likes

This is probably a dumb question to alot of u with experience, I’m brand new to growing tho so I have to ask, what is foxtailing? I’ve heard people mention it, but idk what it even means. Same with people saying that their plants may be too “leggy” or she is really stretching. Is stretching bad? Do u not want ur plants to stretch. Again, I’m not trolling, I honestly do not know the answers to what I’m asking :joy: I’m not the brightest bulb in the pack

1 Like

Foxtailing is when your mature buds starts growing upward spiraling growth. Sort of hard to describe. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, but will cause new pistle growth which in turn causes confusion for many new growers, whether plants are ready for harvest. If the foxtail growth starts spiraling down that’s the bad foxtailing. It can be genetic or a lot of Foxtailing is caused by intense lighting as buds are maturing.

Here’s a good example of foxtailing. Notice the white pistles and upward growth

Screenshot_20211110-132021_DuckDuckGo

3 Likes

@Bulldognuts ok I see. So what do u do in the case that happens? And the stretching thing? Is it just that people don’t want the plants to stretch too much cuz they will touch the light?

1 Like

Basically as long as it’s not causing specific issues, then it’s not a problem. I’ve seen a few people that has clipped them off. Can’t remember exactly why. Again generally it’s not something that is a problem.

1 Like

@Bulldognuts ok cool. Doesn’t really sound like a big deal then to me. Idk why people make mountains out of mole hills.

This past season I grew a couple of GSC plants and I noticed that the bud formation isn’t quite as dense as other strains I’ve grown in the past. Not as pronounced, but similar to what you portrayed above. They turned out quite well.
Enjoy the fruit of your labor.

I ended up with a height issue while growing WiFi OG earlier this year. The girls stretched so heavily that I ran out of vertical space and was forced to do some bending and get a little creative mounting my lights right off the ceiling. At any rate, the tops were closer to the light than I would have liked (though no burn). I ended up with some pretty pronounced foxtailing on one plant. I have previously read that foxtailing is when the calyxes grow one on top of the other, rather than in tight bunches. That is exactly what I saw on the bud. Aside from the awkward bud structure and pain-in-my-ass trimming, the bud tasted, smelled, and smoked beautifully. The bud also looked ‘better’ after curing for a while, as the ‘tubes’ were forced together rather than growing out like chicken feet… lol. I had initially assumed this was simply genetics and would have been inevitable, but after reading up on it, I think it was the lighting issue that caused it… or rather, that exacerbated its expression. My yield was ever-so-slightly diminished, but other than that, foxtailing is a cosmetic issue and does not affect the quality of the bud itself.

I’m about to harvest in a few weeks or so, and I’m seeing some of what is portrayed here, and its the same strain, GSCAE.