Girl Scout Cookie: 1st Grow

That’s an improvement lol so now you you know to water that plant at a 6.3 ish ph for awhile to bring your ph closer to sweet spot

Flushed and fed #1 yesterday and today the soil tested at 6.5. #2 is holding at 6.7.
I’ll water and feed at 6.3 and keep an eye on it…now that I know what I’m doing…sorta.
I know I’ll never use Miracle-Grow again. I found a local Foxfarm supplier and need to pick up some good soil for my next three plants that will need to be transplanted next week. Which of their soil products do you recommend for veg and flower?
I’m still going to use the DNF grow formula since I have ten gallons of the stuff. I’ve only fed them once, at 1/4 strength, after flushing. Should I go to 1/2 strength for my next feed?
Growing these babies is a lot like a chemistry project. I’m enjoying it and hope to keep learning. Someday maybe I’ll be as wise as my mentor Donaldj.

Thanks for the complement but growing is a constant evolution and if you aren’t learning new things all the time then you aren’t enjoying or evolving with it we can never know enough and sometimes get lessons we’d never expect. I am not a fox farms grower but have heard decent things about Ocean forest and happy frog but Ocean Forest is supposed to be the better soil of the 2 getting most people right up to flower with no real need for nutes. As for feeding your ladies it is a case of observation if they responded well to 1/4 then go to 1/2 watching them for positive results or any signs of nute burn or stress. Feeding is done by observation and as plants get bigger you can increase amount

2 Likes

Transplanted all five of my girls in Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil. That stuff looks, feels and smells great. Can’t wait to see the result.
Watered all of them in with PH6.5 rainwater.
All of them are now in Veg. Six more weeks for #1 and 2, eight weeks for #3, 4 and 5. I’m going to leave 3, 4 and 5 under T-12 fluorescent lights for a while just out of curiosity.

2 Likes

All five of my girls are thriving in the new soil. Growth on #1 & 2 seems to have accelerated.
Topped all of them yesterday and began training on #1 & 2. Using cotton string to tie branches down. Lower branches are already filling out and stretching toward the light.
Hung my second 400W light over #3, 4 & 5.
Room temp is staying between 75-81F but humidity isn’t coming up where I want it, 41% is the best I can do but it mostly hangs in the low 30s. Humidifier is staying on 24 hours and exhaust fan is off at night.
The girls seem to be happy and that makes me happy. Really enjoying this project.

2 Likes

These are my girls in the new soil.
The training is going well with multiple branches growing good on #1 and 2.
There’s some purpling on some of the leaf stems and slight curling on a few of the older leaves in #1 but it might be nothing to worry about.
The PH in my soil is holding at 6.5.

4 Likes

As you were soldier they are doing fine

2 Likes

Usually purple on leaf stems or main stem of plant is due to deficiency of nitrogen or sulfur

1 Like

he’s recovering from a previous ph issue and since Phosporus lockout takes up to 3 weeks to show it’s symptoms or damage the plants are recently transplanted/topped little bit of purple doesn’t mean an issue. Lets not make him nervous he just put them into Ocean Forest soil lots of N and micro nutes :slight_smile:

Ok sorry buddy lol I’ll wait until asked next time lol

1 Like

It’s not like that he has 2 threads going and had issues earlier the bulk of details are in the other thread since I was along for that ride figured would clarify before everything started in a circle a gain lmao

1 Like

Lmao thank you for clarifying shoulda read whole thing with out jumping in with an input lol :smile:

1 Like

My fault. Guess I shouldn’t be posting on two threads. I’ll keep this one and drop the other.
I’ve just been gathering as much info as I can and you people have been great. Thanks for the guidance and encouragement.
I am enjoying this so much…and in a few months I’m hoping the magic will happen.

1 Like

The girls are fine today but I have a concern about water.
I’ve been using PH7.0 rain water from my barrel and lowering the PH to 6.3-6.5, easy to do.
Now that water is frozen and it’ll be a while melting again.
My house water comes from a deep well, has a little iron and calcium in it but nothing else.
I run it through a water softener that uses salt. Don’t know what the PH level is going into the softener but it comes out of the tap at 7.5 or higher and it takes some effort to bring it down.
Question is…should the salt be a concern?

1 Like

Yes to much salt can build up toxins around root base, and can cause a salt build up giving excess toxins you wanna try and get as much salts out as possible

my grow room is in a basement with no running water handy I pack down 6 5 gal buckets which stay full and in my grow space all the time this gives them time to get to decent temps

What’s going on here…anything?
This is my #2 plant, recently transplanted into 5gl bucket of Foxfarm Ocean Forest.
Third week of Veg.
I did let it go dry after transplanting and saturating with plain water ten days ago. Everything appears great but this color around the edge of new leaves has me concerned.
I haven’t fed it anything and soil PH is right around 6.5.

It looks like heat stress to me, if it’s a deficiency of some sort this chart can kinda key in to what’s going on

1 Like

Looks to be Cal-mag a little epsom salt would probly do the trick :slight_smile: don’t forget to check run off ph every few water to keep ahead of any ph curves

1 Like

Heat stress is unlikely because my room temp stays pretty constant 75-79, average 77F. My 400WHP lights are a good 2 feet above the plants and that warmth barely reaches the tops.
I was leaning to Iron Deficiency because only the new leaves at the very top of the branches are affected, none of the lower or middle leaves. (I got this info from the Guides Section)
I started using my well water with PH adjusted down to 6.5 and it contains some iron and calcium that might help. If it’s magnesium I’ll have to supplement.
Thanks for the input guys, it’s much appreciated.
If this project works out good, we’ll have to get together somewhere to sample the product.

1 Like