Gifted plants need TLC, can they keep vegging or too late into flowering?

A sledgehammer flush? I wouldn’t do an extended water-only flush. They need help. :wink:

1 Like

Yes sorry sledgehammer! Feel free to give your method but I usually do 2 Tsp in a gallon and slowly run that through.

There’s a lot of debate online about whether to let it dry out or give the nutes immediately after, I’ve done both and not really noticed a difference.

1 Like

Plants are in rough shape. If it was me, I’d just toss them and start some seeds, which will get to harvest faster than you would with these plants with the recovery and reveg time they are going to take.

But if you really want to save these genetics, then I would first spray the plants down with capt jacks deadbug to make sure there are no bugs. Then I would take cuttings and reveg them and at the same time try revegging the plants as well. That way you have 2 chances of saving the genetics, if the cuttings don’t root then you still got a chance with the revegging plants.

4 Likes

I knew you were the guy to ask! Thanks!

I use sledgehammer. And this is from FF regarding the process (I asked):

Thank you for contacting FoxFarm, I’m happy to help!

To perform a flush with the Sledgehammer product, you will want to prepare the mixture at a rate of 2 tsp per gallon of water. You will use the Sledgehammer standalone. Pour the solution over the soil and use about twice as much solution to flush as you would if you were normally watering or feeding. For example, if on a normal watering you use a half gallon, for a flush you would use a whole gallon. Once this is done, let the soil dry completely. After that you can pick up with the next feeding as scheduled.

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Interesting! Okay well I’ll look into the cuttings and reveging but will also try to save the plants, they are getting a flush now, they have been sprayed with deadbugs and I’ll stick them on a 20/4 schedule and see what happens

2 Likes

Good luck with them!

I’ll keep you updated and thanks so much for the free advice, very much appreciated!

1 Like

Hey, just been doing some research and wanted to ask you if you thought topping these might help?

I trimmed one yesterday but I went for more of a fimming cut to remove the bud sites and I thought it might serve these plants to cut back all of them for reveg?

Let me know what you think and how extreme the cut would need to be, otherwise they have been flushed with sledgehammer yesterday and put into the tent on a 20/4 schedule, getting a humidifier to get the VPD in the ideal range for veg soon too.

Hard to find information or videos to explain this but it’s essentially topping them as I understand from other forums and experiences.

Waiting for the soil to dry a bit after the flush before adding my FF nutes too.

Yeah if I was gonna reveg them I would cut them back so you can work on growing some nice thick branches and a bunch of leaf rather than those sparse thin stalks.

This is a plant I trimmed back after harvesting the buds to get ready for a reveg:

Check out my cloning tutorial, I go thru how I revegged that plant - had a few challenges (mostly a crazy cat that almost ruined it) but was successful in the end.

2 Likes

I know the plight man my dog seems to be as keen on bud as I am so have to keep an eye on her.

Will check out your info thank you for sharing! Need to learn how much to cut and where on the plant/stem etc

1 Like

Gotta say your blogs and guides are awesome thank you, just finished a 3-hour trim session but wanted to show you, I cut all the bud sites off and most of the branches back a few nodes, going to let the flush water from 2 days ago dry out until tomorrow and hit them with the FF trio

3 Likes

It was poor timing for flowering to start so there weren’t a lot of large leafs to leave behind unfortunately, tried to leave a decent amount on each plant

Looks good. You can pull this off. Good luck!

3 Likes

Thank you brother, will update you all as I go along considering how helpful you all are

1 Like

Just wanted to ask, out of this FF guide, what week do you think I should start using now after the flush for reveging?

@Hellraiser might you have some insight as well?

1 Like

You’re gonna want some grow big so week 3 would be the place to start and I’d stay with that until there is some new growth.

2 Likes

Agree week 3. But I think you may have the old schedule. Not sure if they are different, but this is what I have:

2 Likes

Thanks for that!

@Newt @Hellraiser I feel like you guys are part of this grow now so going to drop an update:

Could’ve easily thrown them out and probably would’ve had less work if I started my own from seed but Ive never worked with photo period plants before so wanted to see what I could do.

Had to deal with spider mites first, used captain jack’s deadbugs, then flushed them with FF sledgehammer to clear out whatever nutrients or bugs were in the soil and then had to wait for the flush solution to dry for a few days otherwise it would wash any synthetic nutes that I added later.

Which they didn’t like much as they had no food to draw up but when I introduced vegatative nutrients and threw them on a 20/4 light schedule to force them back into veg from flowering, I’ve started to see new growth.

Also had to cut off all the bud growth points so that it would get confused and go back to veg quicker.

Then I had to deal with white powdery mildew which is a fungus that they got from being outdoors, solution for that is spray them with 1 part milk and 3 parts water, something about the milk protein reacting with the UV light kills the mold which I thought was a bit far fetched but the leaves are all green again instead of having this white powder all over them. So that’s a new but interesting one!

The plan is now to take them back to veg them out for a while and get rid of all the nastiness that they’ve been through the past few weeks and then when they’ve bushed out properly I’ll flip them back to flower.

They are on my new light with the MH bulb, currently on 450w because the temp gets too high otherwise, waiting for my humidifier to arrive before trying to keep them in the 23c/60% RH range for ideal VPD (1.0 Kpa), when it’s here I will play around with higher humidity and lower temp in order to get the bulbs on 600w without raising the VPD.

It’s been about 9 days on the 20/4 schedule and I’m seeing new growth so will probably switch them to 18/6 for this weekend’s pH water feeding and then follow the FF guide from their first Nute feeding on the 19th which I started at week 3 of veg on their chart.

Progress pics below, thanks again for the advice although I’m sure I will need more as I go along :slight_smile:

When I first got them

After cutting them back

Mildew

And what they look like today with some new growth:

3 Likes