Ghetto Grow - Beginner - Assistance would be amazing!

World is messed up. It cost me over $80 to send a pair of shoes from NY to London.

Actual costs of transport have nothing to do with it I suspect.

Part of the reason I’m growing: enjoy what’s local!

1 Like

@StealyLegz The diodes Indorsun LED lights use are Samsung LM301B with an efficiency of up to 220 lumens / watt. Their far red chips are @ 730NM.

1 Like

First I’ve heard of that. I’ll look em over, yet again. Make sure I can stand by what I’ve said.

3 Likes

The only grow light partner with Samsung* might be a better point. No one else gets what hlg gets.
No other light will have the highest bin that hlg does.

You’d be surprised the difference a couple bins mean. Lower bin diodes of a current generation are actually worse than the top bin of previous. So when a light simply says “301”. But yet they don’t give you the data sheet for the bin they used, hlg does. You can guarantee they are much less effective than actual top bin. Meaning. You literally end up paying more for less light with other brands. It’s kind of a power move on hlg’s part. But they pushed hard for it and where turned down more than once.

Edit, again. I just noticed that second link said 2018. Which was one of the times they were turned down. They had a contract with Samsung then, also only lighting company to have a direct contract. But they did not have a partnership then. Seems some people don’t know the difference in a partnership and a contract. Lol

1 Like

That could for sure effect the price point.

Thank you all for the advice and information regarding lights! @Docnraq @Budz @PurpNGold74

payment shipping

See above :frowning: HLG is my first choice, but with shipping being so much, I’m considering a local option. Regardless, I will probably only have the money for a decent light late this month, so I’ve still got time to consider options.

For now, I’ve gone ahead and ordered a decent PH pen, more perlite, and coco to top up the bags and some worm castings to mix in as I’ve read some good things about it. I’ll also be getting a dehumidifier, but I think that can be put off until after the light. I’m thinking more light for veg and then the dehumidifier for flower.

Quick journal update for myself and anyone interested:

OG Kush 1, germinated 1 Aug:

Cookies & Cream, germ 1 Aug:

Sweet Rebel Auto, germ 1 Aug:

Northern Lights Auto, germ 1 Aug:

OG Kush 2, germ 7 Aug:

Wedding Cake, germ 7 Aug:

CBD Skunk Haze, germ 7 Aug:

Durban Poison, germ 7 Aug:

Full room and dog, germ 1st Dec, 2017 :sweat_smile::

Thanks for following along!

7 Likes

@EarlyBear Love that so much “Just being friendly” I think it goes a long way. Any audiobooks you suggest?

Jack London’s “To Build a Fire.”

1 Like

@Hellraiser & @MaD-VapoR would be honored if you kept an eye on my “progress”!

2 Likes

I’ll tag along…set to watch.

1 Like

Whats the deal with your Northern Lights?

Watching

1 Like

Thanks, @Hellraiser, and @MaD-VapoR much appreciated!

@Docnraq Haha, I have no idea, I was hoping you homies would help out! It’s doing a lot more horizontal growth than I’d expect. Here are some more pics to help you diagnose the problem:

If you could help advise about the Sweet Rebel as well that would be amazing! No topping was done:

2 Likes

Whoa. The rebel is a def mutant. The first node with triplets popping out. That’s awesome. I doubt the top double leaf will do anything besides what it’s doing. There’s not much you can do about it but watch.

The other plant looks fine too me.

3 Likes

I hope you get some good tomatoes from Rebel :wink:

1 Like

If you want more vertical growth, raise the light some or dim it down a little.

3 Likes

Thanks, @Hellraiser! I will definitely raise the light a little and keep you updated!

@Mr_Wormwood Shot homie! I’m thinking of companion growing some basil and rocket next to it and just embracing the whole salad bowl vibe.

@Budz & @PurpNGold74, I’m so sorry! You gave the BEST advice, and I’m so envious of your HLG lights, but I pulled the trigger on a budget option :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Meh… I actually feel bad posting more info, because really whatever it is, is probably sub-par… I promise, HLG as soon as cash isn’t an issue!

Got to get what you can get when you can get it

2 Likes

The king brites will do you well. Not much different than spiderfarmer. Which was my first light. My hlg didn’t replace it. My entire second tent was an upgrade of first. Still use both. Thr spiderfarmer isn’t so bad I’d replace it. I think you’ll be happy with your choice. Happy growing!

1 Like